This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on my parents

Somewhere around here I posted about my Dad now being in the hospital. Turns out it's C diff (clostridium difficile) which is a nasty bacterial infection which causes colitis and severe diarrhea. Usually it takes hold after a round of antibiotics, but Dad hasn't been on those, so we're not sure why he got it. I figure he picked it up visiting my Mom; it's one of those common hospital bacteria. He's in the same hospital as my Mom, but she's not allowed to see him because of the infection.

He should be released maybe tomorrow, but he's going to a nursing home, at least temporarily. His social worker feels he's not safe to be at home alone or just with my Mom. He's confused and impulsive and has fallen a few times in the hospital trying to get to the commode. He usually sounds tired and out of it when I call.

My Mom is doing pretty well. I visited earlier this week for family training and she does reasonably well getting around with a wheelchair and walker. She's still non-weightbearing, though. Also complicating things is her COPD. She has to stop frequently to catch her breath. Tuesday we'll have a family meeting with her social worker and unit doctor to assess things. It looks like she'll need a nurse during the day at home.

The sister situation has calmed down, at least for now. It's never been about money (there is none) or stuff (ditto). We've decided it's just too easy to misinterpret things said through email, and that's where most of the problems have occurred. We're getting together on Sunday to talk and plan. We've talked to our parents and are now moving forward with getting them into assisted living.

The cats are utterly confused, but as long as they get fed, they're ok. My parents' cats spend a good deal of time sleeping on their bed. My cats seem worried now that there's nobody home during the day. They follow me all over the place once I'm home. I keep telling them I'm not going anywhere

Thanks for reading. When I came back from Indy last year, I had a feeling I'd be caring for them. I had no idea things would go downhill so quickly.
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Hang in there, DM. I'm sorry to hear that your parents are having all these troubles, but so glad to know that their family is there for them. There are quite a few good home care places out there to help out when they get home that can provide a huge amount of help, even if it's just a few hours at a time.

Be very careful of yourself right now. It's too easy for you to try to take on too much at one time.

Comment

Hugs, and Lyse is right. People appreciate it but can't always say it.
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I am glad to hear your folks are doing better. Praying for a speedy recovery.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm glad you and your sisters are getting together for a face to face. As wonderful as the internet, texting and e-mails are, there still isn't anything like sitting down together in the same room. Much love and prayers to you and yours.

Comment

Quoth Lyse View Post
            Hang in there, DM. I'm sorry to hear that your parents are having all these troubles, but so glad to know that their family is there for them. There are quite a few good home care places out there to help out when they get home that can provide a huge amount of help, even if it's just a few hours at a time.

Be very careful of yourself right now. It's too easy for you to try to take on too much at one time.
            Seconding all this. And I'm glad you and your sisters are going to have a face-to-face talk about things. You're very right about how easy it is to misinterpret written messages. Hope all goes well.

Comment

Working...
            X