This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C diff questions

My Dad was diagnosed with C diff earlier this week. I've got disinfecting wipes (CVS and Target brand) to wipe down surfaces and I borrowed the neighbors washer to wash the sheets from my parents bed in hot water. I used vinegar instead of bleach because they like colored sheets.

How long does it live on surfaces? And should I be concerned about getting it myself? Or does it usually hit people with depressed immune systems?
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
    How long does it live on surfaces? And should I be concerned about getting it myself? Or does it usually hit people with depressed immune systems?
    chlorine bleach kills the spores which can live for months on surfaces, and it can infect anyone.

some info here from the CDC, medicine net, and the mayo clinic.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I'd recommend taking some over-the-counter probiotic supplements, and giving some to your father as well. It won't interfere with his medication, and may help drive the clostridia out of his system.

Comment

The recommendations that we have at work is that to ensure as many organisms are killed as possible from uniforms is to wash at 60 degrees and to iron our uniform with as hot an iron as possible. There's certainly no need to use bleach or anything else

Proper handwashing techniques will dramatically reduce the risk of contracting the disease, http://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/ but don't bother with alcohol hand rub as it's not effective against c. diff spores, only certain hand rub products are - you're much better protected with decent handwashing. Make sure you use a decent hand cream as you should be washing your hands very often --> http://www.hha.org.au/home/5-moments...d-hygiene.aspx

Hope that helps a little
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I strongly recommend seeking the advice of a qualified pharmacist or nurse practitioner: both will have more time available to discuss this with you than most doctors have; and both should have the information you need.

That said, the CDC and the Mayo clinic websites (provided upthread) should also be reliable sources of information. I'd also add the World Health Organisation as a reliable source for medical information.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
          X