This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Engineering FAIL!

I sit hear at work (from home), and i get a phone call on my work cell, (which is on every no call list it can be on and is never used for anything other than work) I give my normal greeting of Hello, this is tech monkey, with "The Company"and the gentleman on the line does not ask for anything to identify me or my computer, but proceeds to tell me that my computer was disconnected from the universal server.
    At first I thought this was someone from my employer, being that i was not connected to VPN at the time, I continued to listen to him talk. After it became apparent that he had no idea who i was (never did ask me for any information) I asked him what the universal server was. His response, "The server that all computers running windows connect to."
    My next question, where is this server located at, "Italy." So my final question, what company do you work for again? Microsoft. Hmmmm... is that salmon or 3 week old catfish?
    At this point i decide to have fun with him.
    What kind of errors is my computer sending out, ID10T errors, Pebkac's, or is this an IP sack error? He responds "Yes." So i tell him, my anti-virus and malware scans have come up clean and the event manager is not showing any errors, or alerts, Do you have an error number i should be looking for, like 500 or 34? "I am not sure what you are asking me..."
    Well, how about this, why is the universal server located in Italy, when Microsoft HQ is in Redmond, Washington? "The world HQ is in Italy, the one in Washington is the secondary HQ." So where the founder of the company lives nearby the secondary HQ... interesting... What are you needing me to do to connect back to the Universal server, is it an install or an uninstall? "You will need to be at your computer, and press window and the R key," Ok, so i am going to run the fix from my local machine, ok, what is the file called? "Http://..." wait, why am i using a run prompt to go to a web site? "Sir please just go to http:// (sounded like slush, slush)..." If i have been disconnected from the "Universal server" then my internet won't work. "*Heavy sigh* sir just go to..." at this point i was telling Steele about it so i didn't interrupt him or listen to the rest of the website. I'm also giggling like a school boy with a dirty magazine, so when i come back he says, "hello?" Hi, yeah, that website brings up a page that says 403 forbidden. "You must have typed it wrong, type it again! http://..." How much are they paying you for this? "Well it depends on how badly your computer is infected." So they pay you by the ticket to cold call people and lie to them about how infected their computer is, must be rough... "Have you gotten to http://..." no i am F*cking with you. I am a domain admin with "The Company" and i have never had a Microsoft rep lie to me, or be as blatantly dumb as you have been. And since you have been feeding me a line of BS since you called my company cell, i think i will report this to my manager and then see if we can't let the FBI use the phone number you so graciously provided to track you down to have you arrested. Have a great day.
    I think i had been talking to dead air from the point that i said i was messing with him. *Shrigs* oh, well.
    To ensure it does not happen again, we have changed our slogan to "F%#k you, I'm eating!" ----- Irving Patrick Freleigh

I'm starting to wonder if these social engineers actually know how to construct a decent bullshit story anymore. All of that guy's lines scream 'I dunno what I'm doing', but not knowing what an ID10T error is? Yeah, the guy's fake.

Maybe it's just the deeply-buried jerk in me, but I'd have just told him I have a Macbook and pretend to be one of the callers that piss me off on a regular basis regardless of their OS.
    My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

I got a similar call last week. I was told that my virus had a computer in it.
      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Also had this sort of call, while at home. I read up on it after and this sort of scam falls into two categories:

1 - They try to get you to a website that will infect your computer and hopefully pull information from it.
        2 - They do a basic check of your computer and then try to browbeat you into 'paying' for the 'support'. Of course, if you are so dumb as to hand over CC details over the phone, I'm pretty sure they're going to go wild with it.

Now in my case, I played along as far as Windows + R, but by then my GF in the background was going nuts. (She apparently thought I was stupid enough to do something that would allow them access.)

I did like one of his lines: "Sir, I sense that you're feeling resistant to my helping you..."

You think? =P

Comment

I think it was one of the guys over at Gizmodo that reported on this. He didn't own any windows machines and proceeded to string the guy along for something like 45 minutes by pretending to do everything they asked.

Comment

I learned something very valuable from this post. A keyboard shortcut I didn't know about.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Windows + R and Windows + E are my two standby shortcuts at work. also Windows + Pause/Break for system information.

Comment

i only wish he had put it on speakerphone so that i could have joined in the fun.
                This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm feeling left out, I have yet to get one of those calls.
                  A friend of my coworker got one of those calls, he strung the guy along for a good half hour before telling the person that 'this is all very interesting, especially as my computer has been off and in the closet for the last six months.'
                  The person couldn't hang up fast enough.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                    I got a similar call last week. I was told that my virus had a computer in it.
                    <insert In Soviet Russia joke here>

Quoth Sakka View Post
                    I'm feeling left out, I have yet to get one of those calls.
                    A friend of my coworker got one of those calls, he strung the guy along for a good half hour before telling the person that 'this is all very interesting, especially as my computer has been off and in the closet for the last six months.'
                    The person couldn't hang up fast enough.
                    I only got one of those calls. Ever. I think they got the hint when I asked him 'Okay, I'm there. Now, where do I find the Windows key on my PS3 controller?' because they never called back.
                    My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

I can see how these scams seem great for young kids now a days though.

1) No Boss- No schedule

2) Stealing info is super easy, have seen a few documentaries on this now....it kinda makes you doubt even the "professional" information disposal services

3) You make lots of easy money, quite frequently, with low risk

4) If youre very good and get busted...you get sprung from jail and work for huge companies to avoid this sort of thing and get paid very very well to do so.

Comment

It's never young kids doing it though - you do need a certain voice and maturity. I'd really doubt Microsoft has call center people that sound like that annoying 12 year old over your gaming headset.

Comment

"Security, uh Norm, Norm speaking."

"Norman? This is Mr. Eddie Vedder, from Accounting. I just had a power surge here at home that wiped out a file I was working on. Listen, I'm in big trouble, do you know anything about computers?"

"Uhhmmm... uh gee, uh..."

"Right, well my BLT drive on my computer just went AWOL, and I've got this big project due tomorrow for Mr. Kawasaki, and if I don't get it in, he's gonna ask me to commit Hari Kari..."

"Uhhh.. ahahaha..."

"Yeah, well, you know these Japanese management techniques. ... Could you, uh, read me the number on the modem?"

"Uhhhmm..."

"It's a little boxy thing, Norm, with switches on it... lets my computer talk to the one there..."

"212-555-4240."

Points for reference...
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                            Windows + R and Windows + E are my two standby shortcuts at work. also Windows + Pause/Break for system information.
                            I think the one I use most at work is Windows + L to lock it whenever I leave my deck.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              "Security, uh Norm, Norm speaking."

"Norman? This is Mr. Eddie Vedder, from Accounting. I just had a power surge here at home that wiped out a file I was working on. Listen, I'm in big trouble, do you know anything about computers?"

"Uhhmmm... uh gee, uh..."

"Right, well my BLT drive on my computer just went AWOL, and I've got this big project due tomorrow for Mr. Kawasaki, and if I don't get it in, he's gonna ask me to commit Hari Kari..."

"Uhhh.. ahahaha..."

"Yeah, well, you know these Japanese management techniques. ... Could you, uh, read me the number on the modem?"

"Uhhhmm..."

"It's a little boxy thing, Norm, with switches on it... lets my computer talk to the one there..."

"212-555-4240."

Points for reference...
                              Was it Hackers? with Angelina Jolie. Seems really familiar.
                              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                              X