This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dramatics over a store moving

As I have mentioned previously, we are getting a new store. The liquidation has started, stock is running out, and every customer is asking about the new store. About 2/3 of them are eager for it to be open, and the other third are bemoaning the fact that it is further away.

Granted, our town is awkwardly laid out, due to rivers and wetlands in abundance. The most direct route to the store is the main freeway, and if that has any problems, it will be difficult to get there as there are few alternate routes and they tend to be far away. Still, it's only two exits further down the freeway. This customer, you'd think she had to trek on foot through Mordor to get to our new store.

SC: Oh, why'd you have to move so far away?
    ME: It's a bigger, better store. We'll have almost three times the room we have here, more stock--
    SC: But it's soooo far away! I'll never be able to get there! (dramatic flourish) I guess I won't be shopping with you any more!

I waited until she went out the door and said, "Okay, we'll just cancel the move!" My coworker and the two women she was serving laughed.

Seriously, WTH? She drove to the current store, she can't drive two exits further down? And where else is she going to go? We're pretty much the only game in town, as the only other fabric and crafting stores are in the next town over!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

My fiancee works at a clothing store chain. A couple years ago record flooding temporarily closed another location about 10 miles away and in the year or two it took to get it back, all she got was "OMG, when are they going to open the [other] location? Whiiiiiiiiiiine! It's sooooo far away!" as if she could get a time machine and undo the flood damage.

Granted, Rhode Islanders are known for their aversion to driving more than 5 miles for anything. It's why there are liquor stores and Dunkin Donuts on virtually every corner. Strangely enough the average commute time is about an hour, so go figure.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Wisconsinites, too. I've become one. When I was in CA my friends and I thought nothing of going 20 miles or more. But now I want to whine if I have to go downtown to the bank, which is maybe 3 miles from my apt. I have been assimilated. Oh, and funny--my friend's dad was born in this state and has never gone beyond the borders. He doesn't feel there's any reason to.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        ...my friend's dad was born in this state and has never gone beyond the borders. He doesn't feel there's any reason to.
        I feel very bad for anyone who is that insular. No desire to see the ocean? The Grand Canyon? The Everglades? I lived in Cleveland for 4 years and many locals felt that way, it was the best place on earth and anyone who didn't feel the same could go jump in Lake Erie. I will never understand that attitude...
        Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
        TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Wisconsinites, too. I've become one. When I was in CA my friends and I thought nothing of going 20 miles or more. But now I want to whine if I have to go downtown to the bank, which is maybe 3 miles from my apt. I have been assimilated. Oh, and funny--my friend's dad was born in this state and has never gone beyond the borders. He doesn't feel there's any reason to.
          Wow I can't imagine having no desire to go anywhere outside of Wisconsin. I'm sure it's cool and all but man there is a lot more to see out there. Personally I have a desire to go to lots of places but no money to do it.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I usually stick to this side of town, but that's because traffic on the other side is a mess. I only really ever go there to go to the gym, and that's at around 5am when there's still very light traffic. I admit, I did bemoan when *fav craft store over here* moved further up *traffic mess highway*, though I never took it out on the staff (I just ranted to Hubs about it). That side of town is an excellent deterrent for me, the traffic is just so bad.

The only time I've bothered an employee was when *taco place* closed the closer location to us and promised they'd reopen a new one in the area. That was about a year and a half ago. I will periodically ask one particular employee at the still-open location (also on the highway-of-hell side of town) if she's heard anything new. I'm never sucky, though, and she commiserates with me (she used to work at the former store, and she lives in that neighborhood, so she wants a location back there probably even more than I do).

I have no qualms, though, of driving 40+ miles to find good hiking spots, of course. And Hubby has to renew his DL this year, and I'm making him get an EDL so we can go skip across the border. If I was able to get time off from the paper route I wouldn't mind travelling even further, but while I have that job, I'm pretty much grounded to day trips.
            Last edited by bhskittykatt; 09-21-2012, 07:46 PM.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

What is an EDL?

Comment

Quoth chikenlady View Post
                What is an EDL?
                Enhanced Driver's License. Border states issue them to people who can use them instead of a passport to travel to/from Canada. Dunno if they work for Mexico or not.
                Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                  Granted, Rhode Islanders are known for their aversion to driving more than 5 miles for anything. It's why there are liquor stores and Dunkin Donuts on virtually every corner. Strangely enough the average commute time is about an hour, so go figure.
                  That's because more than 5 miles in any direction takes you out of Rhode Island

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                    That's because more than 5 miles in any direction takes you out of Rhode Island
                    Sure, but that still makes no sense because the sales tax is lower in Mass!

Although we don't tax clothing or groceries.
                    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                    Fiancee: What?!
                    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      As I have mentioned previously, we are getting a new store.
                      Granted, our town is awkwardly laid out, due to rivers and wetlands in abundance. The most direct route to the store is the main freeway, and if that has any problems, it will be difficult to get there as there are few alternate routes and they tend to be far away. Still, it's only two exits further down the freeway. This customer, you'd think she had to trek on foot through Mordor to get to our new store.
                      Chuckles, "You don't happen to live in St Louis do you? Wait, its not the wetlands, its just someone being weird that makes it hard to get around here."
                      Seph
                      Taur10
                      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

If she had to take a bus to get to the store, and the buses didn't go as far as the new store, I could see her being upset about it. I got plenty pissed when the Fashion Bug near me closed...it was close enough to walk to, and others are not on bus routes.

But if she drives, I don't see the problem. Maybe she's afraid she'll get lost trying to find the new store?
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ok, I can se the list at corporate:
                          Things to consider on moving to bigger better premises:

Availibility of larger store
                          More parking
                          Reasonable lease
                          Proximity to major roads, etc
                          Demographics of shoppers (upscale store near affluent neighborhoods, etc)
                          Zoning regulations & other laws

Oh wait, guys, can't do this - all the above are good, but that will but it a mile further for Mr. Whiney A** to drive, better leave it where it is, that trumps everything else.

Yeah, right.

Madness takes it's toll....
                          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                            Wow I can't imagine having no desire to go anywhere outside of Wisconsin. I'm sure it's cool and all but man there is a lot more to see out there.
                            that's part of the problem, we have to return here to live
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

*shifty-eyed-look* I sort of suspect I've been to the fabric store in question, given that one particular store I go to is right now in the process of moving two exits down the freeway... And it's about as handy for me in the one spot as the other, but I am hoping they'll have more of the fabrics I use so I can buy some things local instead of just on line!

I just wish they'd move already so there would be something in stock and I could quit having to go to WalMart for stuffing. WalMart's stuffing is terrible.
                              The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X