Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll have Twelfth Night to go and can I supersize that?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll have Twelfth Night to go and can I supersize that?

This woman wasn't totally sucky, though her attitude was holier than though.

Holier-than-Though: Where would your Ancient Greek plays and Shakespeare be?
    Me: Well, that depends on what you're looking for. Most of them are in 822, but a few might be shelved in our poetry collection.
    I point her in the right direction for the 800s.

She comes back maybe 15 minutes later with 3 of Shakespeare's plays and an collection of Aeschylus to check out.
    HTT: *as I'm checking her books out, in a disbelieving and somewhat snotty tone* Your selection is very *holds fingers an inch apart* . . . small.
    Me: *blank customer service smile*
    HTT: I suppose that's all I'll find here?
    Me: *blank non-smile*
    HTT: *not quite a frown, but disapproving look*
    Me: *blandly* I can either order them from another library for you or I can show you how to access the digital copies.
    HTT: *slight--surprise maybe?* Oh. No. No need.
    She backed up rather quickly after that. Maybe it was the threat of the dreaded DIGITAL BOOK?

So not only can I get her all the Shakespeare and Greek Drama she could ever possibly love either instantly via our fabulous digital catalog (or via inter library loan which, in all honesty, would probably be in on Tuesday), but also 2 of the 4 cherished classics (and don't get me wrong, Shakespeare is faboo, though I prefer it performed and hey, I've got a useless degree in Classical Studies; Aeschylus and me are total buds) were so unloved by our patrons that they were not even in the system which means they haven't been checked out since before 2006, when we joined the Big Consortium.

Eh, it was mostly her attitude, like we were doing something wrong by not filling our shelves with unwanted classics. I'd rather we spent our money on resources and entertainment folks want, but some people just can't get beyond the idea of the stuffy lieberry that's only good for cramming proper literature down the throats of the unwashed masses.

lol. REAL Shakes junkies have their "Riverside" on their bedside bookshelf.

I know what you mean about her attitude though. For some strange reason I've had to explain the market forces that act on libraries to two people in the last month. One was like yours - "can't get beyond the idea of the stuffy lieberry that's only good for cramming proper literature down the throats of the unwashed masses." The other was the other end of the spectrum - didn't understand why there weren't row after row of anime DVDs available. Limited funding, diverse clientele, you do the math.

Comment

I don't suppose she'd go for Project Gutenberg, then. God forbid you should have all that stuff available in moments on your computer, smartphone or tablet device.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
        faboo
        I can't read this without hearing it in Wakko's voice.
        Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
          I don't suppose she'd go for Project Gutenberg, then. God forbid you should have all that stuff available in moments on your computer, smartphone or tablet device.
          I LOVE Project Gutenberg. Although it kind of annoyed me how the American version had only the first five Barsoom novels and I had to find the remaining six through Project Gutenberg Australia. >.>
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
            Or LibriVox

Comment

Ok maybe I'm a weirdo here but if I get interested in a book or a genre of some type I look it up on our libraries' web page first to see what they have in stock or not. If it's not in stock I request it. The interlibrary loan system kicks in and sends it to my library, who then email me when it's available. No wasted trips.

Is that really so hard?
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post

Is that really so hard?
                Yes.
                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I have to admit I'm sad that libraries have changed from repositories of out-of-print books to places where you can check out anything that B&N is carrying - and not much else. I couldn't even find a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo! And my whole county library system has only two copies of anything by Trollope.

I even had to do an ILL to get a copy of Liar's Oath by Elizabeth Moon. One beat-up paperback copy in the whole system.

Poor classics-loving pensioners like me just have to save up and go online to find out-of-print books that are still under copyright. No new clothes for me, I guess.
                  I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                  - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Dave Cantor "I'll Never Read Trollope Again"
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post

Poor classics-loving pensioners like me just have to save up and go online to find out-of-print books that are still under copyright. No new clothes for me, I guess.
                      Penguin are releasing the "classics" for around $10.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth paxillated View Post
                        I have to admit I'm sad that libraries have changed from repositories of out-of-print books to places where you can check out anything that B&N is carrying - and not much else. I couldn't even find a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo! And my whole county library system has only two copies of anything by Trollope.
                        I'm sorry your library & system don't have the classics & oldies.

Not the case for my library & system, though! Not only could I easily get the stuff from another library (or find copies in a library nearby if she wanted to go in person), but we've got plenty of ebooks, too, not just the awesomeness that is Project Gutenburg, but classics in our ebooks and eaudio collections.

Not to nitpick, but I don't think the point of libraries (except specialized archives) has ever been to be a repository for the out-of-print. Typically libraries have particular missions, like research & education for an academic library or general education & entertainment in a public library. The idea for most public libraries is to appeal to a broad spectrum of patrons, to serve a variety of needs. Old stuff that doesn't circulate shouldn't be on the shelves; shelf space is limited, weeding is important.

Comment

I enjoyed that. I wonder just what it was that "slithered" over and sat down. Possibly one of the charming individuals we read about on this site...

But I'm shocked, shocked! to find out he never actually read any Trollope.

Thanks!
                          I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
                          - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

Working...
                          X