Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you not see the Student Driver sign?

A bit of background here, I've just started street training for my CDL A license(driving a tractor/trailer ) Our trucks/trailers all have our training school name and STUDENT DRIVER plastered all over them. That being said, why have I been forced to stand on my brakes to avoid T-boning idiots who think it's a good idea to pull out right in front of me? The last one to do that was incredibly lucky that I was paying attention as I literally missed the ass of his pickup by MAYBE 3 inches.

It's bad enough to act that retarded around a fully trained professional driver, let alone pulling that stunt on a student driver with only 3 days of street training(we drive approx. 20-30 mins each per day. My classmate L narrowly missed killing a tow truck driver who turned left in front of her at a green light when she was in the middle of the intersection. Of course the driver informed her she was number one out his window as he drove off. Because yanno it's totally her fault that he has a death wish. I told her she should've just taken him out since she had the right of way AND weight.

My other classmate B nearly turned a woman into road pizza when she sprinted out in front of us then slowly walked the rest of the way across the street. What is it about semis that shuts off peoples' brains? At this rate I'm going to end up destroying some random idiot before I even start with my truck company. Also, funnily enough, my instructor says I will make a great truck driver, as I already have the swearing down pat.
    My Wajas cave

People are just idiots. I don't think it has anything to do with your "Student Driver" sign. They probably would have cut out in front of you regardless.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Most people have no idea how hard it is to stop anything as big as a semi. They all think that you can stop as easy as they do. The idea that you have more mass that takes time to slow down is waaaaaay too hard for them to understand.

A little tip for you as you are working for your CDL. Make sure you understand all of the daily paperwork you have to fill out. You do not want to have to call your boss because you got put out of service for 10 hours due to small mistake on your Daily Log.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that they think that because you're a student driver, you'll be found at fault automatically if an accident occurs, so they have very little to lose and a lot to gain depending on the circumstances.

Of course, it doesn't work that way.
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          People are just idiots. I don't think it has anything to do with your "Student Driver" sign. They probably would have cut out in front of you regardless.
          you're probably right with that one.
          some people can't see any vehicles on the road, no matter what's there... and some have special blinders that mask bigger vehicles altogether

Comment

Quoth Bramble View Post
            What is it about semis that shuts off peoples' brains? At this rate I'm going to end up destroying some random idiot before I even start with my truck company. Also, funnily enough, my instructor says I will make a great truck driver, as I already have the swearing down pat.
            Perhaps it's related to the "it's big so it looks slow" effect people get with trains? Couple that with thefact that you probably are moving slower (because it's the only safe thing to do) they probably think they have all the time in the world.

Till they end up smooshed into road pizza that is.

Good luck on not hitting any of the blasted fools.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              you're probably right with that one.
              some people can't see any vehicles on the road, no matter what's there... and some have special blinders that mask bigger vehicles altogether
              If it helps, my grandfather once witnessed a collision between a standard-sized car and a train. The car's driver walked away from the accident ... protesting that he "hadn't seen" the train coming. Despite its size and noise, and despite the flashing warning lights at the crossing. He managed to "not see" AAAALLLLLL that ...

Quoth Arcus View Post
              Most people have no idea how hard it is to stop anything as big as a semi. They all think that you can stop as easy as they do. The idea that you have more mass that takes time to slow down is waaaaaay too hard for them to understand.

*snip*
              This too. Their little box-on-wheels stops on a dime, why wouldn't your behemoth?

Congratulations on avoiding the Darwin candidates you've encountered thus far!

Comment

People who don't respect semis/semi drivers are one of my pet peeves. I mean, really...that semi is a lot bigger than you, and takes a lot more to stop than you know. What makes people think "Big, moving object! Must go in front of it!" I have no idea. Idiots, the lot of them. As for the cursing--that is a fact! I always get a laugh when, after someone apologizes for cursing in front of me, I tell them that I'm a trucker's daughter, and therefore have heard (and probably used) any word they could use, and then some!
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

It's possible that my early and regular exposure to double decker buses has immunised me from the "big looks slow" effect.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                    What makes people think "Big, moving object! Must go in front of it!" I have no idea. Idiots, the lot of them. As for the cursing--that is a fact! I always get a laugh when, after someone apologizes for cursing in front of me, I tell them that I'm a trucker's daughter, and therefore have heard (and probably used) any word they could use, and then some!
                    Know what you mean . . . except I think my Dad is the only trucker I know who over the last few years or so acts like it kills him to hear a cuss word.

Nevermind he's used most of them for quite a few years when I was small.

But yeah, I've been told by a certain coworker lately that when I let it rip in the backroom, I put Eric Cartman to shame.

As far as the people not getting out of the way of the big rigs goes: we see the same problem here. I work with people who drive those things (some of my deliveries come in by the big 53 footers or the 26 footers.)

The guys all say the same thing: people just will not look and just don't care.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I swear people in cars scare me. I got to ride with my Dad a couple of times when he was trucking driving. They seem to think 50,000lb vehicle will just stop. My rule of thumb never play chicken with anything bigger or more expensive then you are.

Also Canada in the winter is fun according to my parents. I told them i really didn't need to hear the story of them driving from Canada to the US in white out conditions with the road closing behind them. Also be nice to the people at the borders. If you are a jerk, the nice people there will make you empty your truck, they had seen it a number of times.

Good luck
                      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                        I'm of the opinion that they think that because you're a student driver, you'll be found at fault automatically if an accident occurs, so they have very little to lose and a lot to gain depending on the circumstances.

Of course, it doesn't work that way.
                        But they DO have a LOT to lose. After all, even if the student driver is found to be at fault, the idiot who cut them off from the right (blind) side (resulting in their vehicle being hit on the driver's door - I've seen the "side impact protection beams", and they're made from steel about 1/3 the thickness of my bumper) will still be found to be ... dead.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Should be even more fun on the road for me now since I've graduated and have my license. Oh the stories I'm sure I will have!
                          My Wajas cave

Comment

Working...
                          X