Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So apparently Goodwill now thinks I'm a thief (LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    As for running out the door, a lot of people get away with snatch-n-grabs just by LOOKING like they're totally at ease and not rushing. You'll watch a person moving quickly, not someone moving normally.
    I can verify this, as I did it myself once, quite unintentionally.

I was at the local K-Mart picking up a few small items. I found all but one of the items I was looking for, and walked up to the service desk to ask if they carried the remaining item. It turned out they did not, so I thanked them and walked out the door.

I got about halfway to the car when... Oh shit! I still have the other items I picked up and I never paid for them!

I was expecting someone to come running out the door and chasing me down, but no one was. I quickly went back inside and back to the service desk and explained to them what just happened. Apparently no one even realized that I had casually strolled out the front door with unpaid items. In fact, the person working the desk had this surprised look in her face and said, "And you came back???" I guess a lot of people would have just kept walking.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      In fact, the person working the desk had this surprised look in her face and said, "And you came back???"
      That's the reaction Nekojin & I got the time we went back in to pay after doing an unintentional dine and dash at a Dennys. We were more worried about the server than the shop, really; we didn't want her in trouble or to lose out on the tip.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't know if it's different where you're from but you're never allowed to accuse anyone of stealing where I've worked at. If you're suspicious of the person, you approach as any customer and try to give service. That way the company doesn't get sued.

Comment

Well you handled that waaaaay better than I would have and as someone said already I am pretty sure they can't really do that... I probably would have shouted out, "Are you serious?" and dumped my stuff right there. Probably a bit much but I don't really handle being accused of theft well.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            Thrift stores are definitely not immune from theft and scummy customers.
            Some people are simply scummy and will steal whatever isn't nailed down. They don't care if it's a Goodwill, or F.A.O. Schwartz. If there's something they want, they'll attempt to take it. Charity stores aren't exempt either. I've seen people attempt to steal from my church's annual "white elephant" sale

At least they're quickly dealt with by the off-duty cops providing security. I'm sure they enjoy explaining that they were ripping off items in the 50-cent bin
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              I've seen people attempt to steal from my church's annual "white elephant" sale

At least they're quickly dealt with by the off-duty cops providing security. I'm sure they enjoy explaining that they were ripping off items in the 50-cent bin
              If they have to listen to (C)RAP, couldn't they at least rip off items from the Tupac bin?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                Thrift stores are definitely not immune from theft and scummy customers. At the one where I volunteered, we had ongoing problems with people cutting the price tags off clothes (not sure about actual walk-out-without-paying theft). There was no way the place had the money to go with electronic pricetags, although even those don't deter all thieves. It's generally pretty pathetic.
                Even charity shops are not immune from theft. Back when I worked in one after leaving college, there were quite a few incidents with attempted theft, distruction of items and a whole gang of people passing fake notes. We had the police in and they gave us pens cuz of the gang targetting charity shops with their crappy fake fivers. -.- Fact is, some people are scum and not even thrift and charity shops are safe from them.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  If they have to listen to (C)RAP, couldn't they at least rip off items from the Tupac bin?

Well played. And yes, my laptop did not enjoy its shower :P
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    I can verify this, as I did it myself once, quite unintentionally.
                    Reminds me of an article I read several years ago. A woman was buying sandals, which were in a big pile in the isle with empty boxes everywhere. She picked out her shoes and put them in a box she found with the matching picture. After paying and heading out the door, she was stopped by loss prevention and taken to their office. Turned-out, while the box picture matched, the box was for a pair of children's sizes, which were a buck or so less than the adult. The woman apologized for the mix up and offered to pay the extra money. Nope, she was arrested for shoplifting, had to pay the civil fine, and banned from all the store's locations for life!

I believed it was the store's own fault for not keeping their shelves clean.
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I am usually the employee who gives out carts to customers who are buying more than they expected and didn't get a cart in the first place.

These customers are usually very grateful for me helping them out. They don't want to go out and grab a cart just to have the alarm go off because of their unpaid things and have everyone's attention called out to them as if they were caught trying to steal. I give them a cart and hear their gratitude. Just last week, I was coming inside with a new load of carts when the alarm went off as a young woman was trying to get a cart with her arms loaded with merchandise. She saw me standing there nearby, turned completely pale in the face, and stammered, "I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to steal anything. I just needed a cart."

I smiled and reassured her that I didn't think she was trying to steal anything because she is one of at least 200 people each week who have the same predicament, and I gave her a cart. At least I have never dealt with an SC in this same situation! But things like this are happening in droves because our company just got rid of their people-greeters and made them floor help instead, so if anyone WANTED to steal something, who would be able to stop them or ask for receipts? It seems like I am the closest thing to security or "asset protection" at my store, which is sad because stuff like that isn't in my job duties.

Comment

I'm afraid i'm going to be the voice of dissent here. Sorry.

You left the store with merchandise. I'd assume you were going to carry n walking too.

I think the kind of store is a red herring, i'd think the same if you were in a charity shop, a supermarket or a jewelers.

Yes, this time it was you, you are honest and you came back. I'll bet 99% of the time the person doing it isn't and just keeps on going. They don't know you and don't know your personality or morals. We see the same argument being made by SC's all the time, "Dude, i'm not gonna steal it, jeez" and we all agree that we don't know them and have no way of knowing how truthful they are being. (Not that i'm calling you an SC)

I don't blame them at all I'm afraid.

Next time ask "is it ok if i just go grab a cart" or "I've realized i need a cart, could someone go get one for me please?" to forestall this.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
                          I'm afraid i'm going to be the voice of dissent here. Sorry.

You left the store with merchandise. I'd assume you were going to carry n walking too.

I think the kind of store is a red herring, i'd think the same if you were in a charity shop, a supermarket or a jewelers.

Yes, this time it was you, you are honest and you came back. I'll bet 99% of the time the person doing it isn't and just keeps on going. They don't know you and don't know your personality or morals. We see the same argument being made by SC's all the time, "Dude, i'm not gonna steal it, jeez" and we all agree that we don't know them and have no way of knowing how truthful they are being. (Not that i'm calling you an SC)

I don't blame them at all I'm afraid.

Next time ask "is it ok if i just go grab a cart" or "I've realized i need a cart, could someone go get one for me please?" to forestall this.
                          I didn't leave the store. I was walking toward the cart corral, which happens to be right next to the entrance.

Hindsight is 20/20. I didn't think I had to ask to go and get a cart, but apparently I do. Not that I'll ever go back to that particular store.

Comment

Do what I did; I had an armful of stuff, and realized that I needed a cart. I headed out, only to stop at the exit, knowing that I would set off the alarms if I carried out the stuff without paying.

So I asked the Wal-Mart greeter what I should do. She offered to hold my stuff for me while I went out to get the cart. Once I got the cart, I went back and gathered my things and was on my way.

So you could ask for a cart, or you could ask an employee to watch your stuff for you while you get the cart yourself.
                            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Moosenogger View Post
                              I didn't leave the store. I was walking toward the cart corral, which happens to be right next to the entrance.

Hindsight is 20/20. I didn't think I had to ask to go and get a cart, but apparently I do. Not that I'll ever go back to that particular store.
                              Ah, sorry, i misunderstood. In that case, yeah, they were being way over the top and I don't blame you for being annoyed at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X