Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the point of posting signs if no one reads them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the point of posting signs if no one reads them?

Couple of tidbits from my latest few weeks working graveyard at the c-station.

Is Your Bathroom open?

CS- A very drunk lady
    Me-

CS- Honey is your bathroom open?
    Me- No, sorry it closes at 10pm.
    Cs-Well what time is it.
    Me- Um, *Cheeks clock* 1:04am.
    Cs- Can't I just use it real quick?
    Me- No, sorry. I can't let anyone in there.
    Cs-*get more whiny/loud at the point* But I really have to pee!
    Me- The bar in the corner of the shopping center is still open and should have a restroom for you to use.
    Cs- I came from there I just didn't want to use their dirty bathroom. *Said in a huff*
    Me- Sorry, my restroom is close. So your choices are hold it until you get home or use the bars.

She left after that. And pee'd on the side of my building. *sigh*

What do you mean you need to see all of our ID's?!
    CS1-5 : A group of possibly drunk but very annoying ladies.
    Me-

Bit of back story on this, I just recently got told out of the three key holder trainees (myself included) I'll be the 'official' assistant manager. Which is great that means I can get MOST of books done before the manager comes in in the morning and all those 'I want to talk to your manager' sucks get faced with 'I am the assistant manger'. This incident I was outside smoking because there's not much else to do at 3am.

Car pulls the three back seat passengers get out and shuffle around one goes to the trunk and gets a wallet out.

Cs1- I'm sorry I'm interrupting your smoke break!
    Me-No worries I'm pretty used to it. *I put my cigarette out and follow her inside*
    Cs1-Okay I need two packs of Camel Bolds, one marlboro menthol, and two marlboro red shorts and hundred.
    Me-*Having gotten a look at everyone in the car I figure this lady is buying for minors. Because two out of the five look under age and none of them look over thirty, pull the smokes and bring them to register* Okay I need to see your ID and all of your friends out in the cars IDs as well.
    CS1- What? Are you joking with me right now?
    Me- No, sorry but as none of you look over thirty I do in fact have to card all of you.
    Cs1- You're just mad I disturbed your smoke break!
    Me-Not at all, but I do have to card you all. If by chance you where to be purchasing for a minor that could land both of us in trouble.
    Cs1-Fine!*storms out and goes back out the car, then comes back with just the ids.*Here!*throws them down on the counter*
    Me-*sighs* Unfortunately I need the bodies that go with these card.
    CS1-Why?!
    Me-Because that's store policy, can't do anything about it.
    Cs1-*storms out again and raises a fuss outside only to return with her four loudly complaining friends*
    CS2- Are you serious right now you need to see all of our IDs and have us in the store?
    Cs3- What kind BS is this what does it matter if we come in with her if she's buying her own cigarettes?
    Cs4-You really must not have anything better to do then the harass people all night do you?!
    Me-Look as none of you look over the age of thirty and she was asking for several different types of tobacco I do need to see all of our IDs and have all of you in the store. That's not my rules that's both the law and my stores policy. I didn't make it up because I was bored.
    Cs1- Look at my birthdate I'm almost twice as old as all these girls here and I'm over thirty what's your excuse now.
    Me-Well ma'am you don't look over thirty and as the sign *points our big yellow we card sign* say if you look under thirty you get carded.
    Cs5-And what's your name?!
    Me-Talasar.
    Cs5- No what's your full name and your managers name we're going to complain about this.
    Me-Talasar *Lastname* And the manager is W.M.
    Cs5- Uh-huh. So we're going to be back tomorrow to talk to him about this.
    Me-Go for it. But just so you ladies know, you've kicked up enough of a fuse that I'm going to refuse this sale. Have a nice night, and I'll probably see you in the morning.
    Cs5- B***** Don't smirk at me like that, what is the manager your daddy or something.
    Me-Nope, but I am the assistant manager and if you guys continue to scream at me in my store I'll be forced to call the cops. Have a nice night, drive safely lots of crazies out at this hour.

They storm out and we never hear from them again.

Is your bathroom open?

My kingdom for a person that reads signs.

Can you break a 100

CS- Semi regular with a notorious bad attitude.
    Me-*sighs*
    R-Regular that bounces for a club nearby

Cs-*comes in as I'm doing my cigarette count and wanders around the store*I'm ready. *clicks his fingers at me before he gets to the registers*
    Me- *fighting the urge to let my mouth get the better of me* Alright. Is this all for you? (He had one of those 35cent packs of gum)
    Cs-Yup. *pulls a hundred out of his bill fold*
    Me- Got anything smaller than that? Because at this hour I can't break big bills.
    Cs-What do you mean you can't break it?
    Me- Sir, it's 2am this late at night to deter robberies we keep cash in the drawer low. Thusly I can't break that.
    Cs-It's never been a problem before?! I broke a hundred in her just last night!
    Me- I worked third shift last night and I didn't break any hundreds. Again I'm going to need something smaller as I can't break that bill.
    Cs-Well that's not my problem!
    Me-Well then I can't sell you the gum if you don't have anything smaller.
    Cs-*puffing up slightly*Oh yes you will!
    Me-*unfazed blink* No really I won't. Because I can't break that bill.
    R-*comes in about this time*
    Cs-Listen you little-
    R-*claps his hand Cs' shoulder* Talasar is there a problem here?
    Me-Not unless this gentlemen wants to finish that sentance.
    Cs-*deflates as R is about a foot taller than him and built like well...a bear*No, no problem.
    Me- Have a nice night sir!
    Cs-*leaves gumless with his tail tucked between his legs*

R is cool he knows most of the crowd from the club he bounces for ends up hitting my store so he makes a point to come down and buy a back a of smokes and hang out until the last of them leave. Just in case.

Sitting in my parking lot for an extended period of time in loitering.
    Cs- Loiterer who doesn't understand that he's on privet property
    Me- Sometimes I wonder why me? Then I remember I asked for graveyard.

As I'm helping the just before legal liquor sale cut of rush I notice a van pulls in and parks on the far side of my lot. I get the rush done away with a close down my liquor coolers and notice the van is still there. I give it a few minutes and do some other things around my store. After maybe ten or fifteen minutes and head outside and light a cigarette before approaching the car.

Me- Sir? I'm sorry but I really can't have you just sitting on my property for an extended period of time.
    Cs- I'm waiting for someone.
    Me- I'm sorry sir but your loitering and I really can't have you just sitting here. It's a safety hazard.
    Cs- I'm waiting for someone if I was going to do something I woulda done done it by now!
    Me- Understandable sir. But what if someone ran into my store and robbed then saw your van sitting here running. Don't you think they'd take the quick get away? I'm sorry but it really is a safety hazard and I can't have you loitering.
    Cs- I'm not loitering! I thought this what a free country.
    Me- You are loitering sir. And really if you're still here by the time I'm done smoking I'm going to have to call the police. Now I've asked you nicely to leave, please don't make me have to do that.
    Cs-Fine! F****** B***** *pulls out and squeals his tires as he goes*

I realize in most of these I'm slightly more augmentative then most retail workers feel 'safe' being. As I work third shift and deal with a lot of drunks I have a lot of leeway in what I can get away with saying provided I don't curse or anything like that. One of the reasons I took third shift is because the other two third shifters tend to let the drunks and crazies walk all over them rather than actually telling them no or they just let them get to them. I don't take any bull from anyone and most of the regulars at night have learned that if I ask, that's going to be the only time I ask nicely. After that I just call the police.

Cs- I'm not loitering! I thought this what a free country.
    Sure. He's free to loiter on his own property.

Now I won't say I've never done that... but usually it's so I can answer the cell. and it's usually not at that hour since most of the people i want to talk to would asleep by then anyway.

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post
      She left after that. And pee'd on the side of my building. *sigh*
      It's very, very wrong of me, but I'm now imagining you cleaning that up... with a high-pressure water hose... before she can get out of the way...
      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

It is a free country.... and people are free to kick those they don't want off their own PRIVATE property any time of the day or night.... that's right, I'm doing MY part for the Constitution every time I tell someone to hit the road!
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

R's one of the good ones, going out of his way to make sure the crazies he boots don't raise hell in your store.

Comment

"What's the point of posting signs if no one reads them?"

The company replaced my car wash equipment year before last.

So for six weeks we had no car wash.

One day, a fella came in with a full head of steam. He had tried to add a car wash to his gas purchase, and the pump wouldn't let him do it.

I put on my Caring Face (tm) and tried explaining that our old equipment had been scraped out of the building, and brand new equipment was being installed, and should be ready in a few weeks.

This was no good at all, he had made a trip to my store special, and he wanted a car wash. Now.

No can do, and when he figured out that he couldn't bluster his way into having a fully-assembled car wash appear, stormed out, shouting "Well then you need to post signs telling people that!"

"But..."

"Just do it!"

And then he was gone.

One of the other customers asked, "Don't you have little signs posted on each pump? And a six foot wide banner across the front of the store?"

I said, "Yup."

"Which you tried to tell him about?"

"Yup."

"So he just yelled at you for not having what you have?"

"Yup."

"Does that happen a lot?"

"All the time."
            I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth Zapper View Post
              R's one of the good ones, going out of his way to make sure the crazies he boots don't raise hell in your store.
              R is awesome, he's chased a few of my problem children off before they caused problems. There are a few other local bouncers that stop in from time to time on the heels of they club crowd but most of the time they can'd be bothered to deal with them anymore (which I understand).

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post
                *pats* Don't worry, no-one at my petrol station ever seems to read our signs either. I sometimes think we could have a giant, neon pink sign with flashing lights and dancing bears, and customers would still ignore it.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  *pats* Don't worry, no-one at my petrol station ever seems to read our signs either. I sometimes think we could have a giant, neon pink sign with flashing lights and dancing bears strippers, and customers would still ignore it.
                  Fixed that for ya.

Frankly, they wouldn't even notice the signs even if we took them and beat the customers with them.

There again, I don't know of a sign that deserves that.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post

I read signs. Does that mean I get your kingdom?
                    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                    X