X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Elaborate Heist

Tales from Salvation Army~

BG: All items in the store are marked with brightly colored tags that have the price on them, they are stapled on to the clothing, The prices are decided by headquarters. Each day is a different color half off. If the tag is missing, the item cannot be sold. Even if the tag is removed by the customer at the register. Many, many people try to switch tags, which means we also cannot sell the item.

Children's clothes are .99 unless it is an 'in season' item, in which case it is the price on the tag.

Sir, please do not throw things at the cashiers.
    A man and his wife approach the counter with a fur coat. It's priced at $50. They begin arguing that the coat should be much cheaper because of all the various flaws they were pointing out. The cashier tells them she cannot change the price and they are welcome to wait until a half price day to purchase the coat if it is still here.

They abandon the coat in a huff, and check out the other items they have. They argue over the price of a top they have. Again my coworker reminds them she cannot do anything for the price. The man demands a manager. Coworker says she will go get S. The guy goes, quite loudly, no, don't get S, S is a mean word for lady bits. He then rips the tag off the top, invalidating the sale. The cashier explains the policy and he chucks the top at her and marches off.

S charges out from the back upon hearing her name just in time to witness the throwing. S had chased them outside, also witnessing the wife taking a ton of stolen items out of her purse, and demands they come back inside. Bossman is alerted about the couple and the husband denies that he threw, or stole, anything. Bossman told them not to come back.

An Elaborate Heist
    Our dressing rooms quickly become horder bays if we aren't careful, depending on how busy we are, I clean them out once every 45mins-hr. I notice a woman, her daughter and her daughter's friend hogging up a dressing room for almost three straight hours. They have two giant shopping carts filled with items.

Daughters friend comes up to me and says she had put her jacket on top of a clothing rack and now it's missing. I notice she's in a very nice, and expensive, coat of ours (bright pink tag) With kinder words than "Idiot tax", I informed her that since we don't really know what is and isn't ours, it was cleaned up and taken into the back for removal. We can check if it's there, but no guarantees. Thankfully, her coat was still in the bin.

Another hour or so passes by, mother and daughter come to the counter to begin checking out. They have roughly $300 worth of clothes and a jacket that does not have tags. The mother launches into a loud cursing tirade about how she is willing to pay any price for the jacket. Because of the events detailed above, bossman is cranky and we cannot ask him to do a pricing. We inform the woman that the coat may be cycled back into the store within the week. She continues to throw a tantrum.

Her daughter then tells her mother her sweatshirt is missing and she left it in the dressing room. Once again, it takes everything not to tell her she just paid her idiot tax for the day, but we can check the back but I doubt it's there because I just literally sent everything down to be disposed of. When we return, sweatshirtless, the mother begins to swear loudly that it will be found or her purchase will be free. Friend in the red jacket appears at this time.

She locates supervisor B downstairs (with all her clothes in tow) and demands she go through the clothes we sent down for her daughters sweatshirt or else. Supervisor B tries to calm her down, but is spineless so she goes into the back to wade through the clothes.

All of a sudden the mother changes to a calm, quiet woman, and leaves without a fight. Taking with her all her purchases without paying. Supervisor B didn't know she hadn't paid upstairs. We're calling it the most elaborate Salvation Army heist ever.

Seasonal is not something you sprinkle on meat
    A woman comes up with a kids jacket, priced at $5. A name is scrawled on the collar, likely for daycare. She is rung up for $5 since jackets are now 'in season', and therefor are full price and not .99

She demands to know why it isn't .99, and is explained the whole in season bit. Apparently she doesn't understand 'in season', insisting it's a childs jacket because there is a name on it and wants the jacket for .99

Eventually, she leaves without it, muttering about how the jacket is a kids jacket.
    You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

So, whats going to be done about the heist?

Comment

Not really much we can do other than deny her sales if she ever comes back. We just found it really funny how it all seemed so perfectly planned in retrospect.
      You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

Comment

The guy goes, quite loudly, no, don't get S, S is a mean word for lady bits.
        Sounds like they already had a run-in with S ... I wonder if they'd already been banned for stealing which is why they didn't want to face S.

Comment

I say next time she comes anywhere near the premises, call the police. I realize it's the Salvation Army, but surely a theft like that deserves some legal punishment, right?
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

As most of you know, my family lives on welfare.

WE can usually afford thrift shop clothing. If we can, then it's hard to believe that anyone who is receiving Australian-govt-level welfare (or equivalent) can't.*

However, even though we can afford thrift store clothing, we could show our health care cards as proof-of-poverty and be invited to take whatever we want, within reason, from most of the larger thrift shops. Or our doctor, nurse, financial counsellor, or any other 'reliable' screener could write a request on our behalf.

There's no bloody NEED to steal from a thrift shop. If you need the clothing, they'll give it to you! Usually they'll offer you more than you want!

* With a few exceptions - I am aware that there are a few people with situations which fall into gaps in our welfare system, or who need unusual medical treatment or other genuine necessities that our system doesn't actually cover the costs of.
            ** Australians who fall into gaps in the welfare system: I helped a friend of mine get those gaps covered by contacting her MP for her. Federal, in this case, but either will do. The MP's staff hunted around and found a charity which was willing and able to take her on and cover her needs, and the MP put the need for an amendment to cover that gap into her to-do list.
            Which, politics being what it is, is really a 'to-try-to-do' list, but at least she tried. And my friend is now okay. Or as okay as anyone in her medical condition gets.
            Point is: I don't know how it works in other countries, but here at least, if you/a friend has a need that welfare doesn't cover, contact your MP's office. Fed or State or both. Ask: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Point is: I don't know how it works in other countries, but here at least, if you/a friend has a need that welfare doesn't cover, contact your MP's office. Fed or State or both. Ask: the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
              in the US we have "first call for help" or 311, also st vincent depaul gives clothing vouchers, furniture vouchers, and in my city we have a "SVDP dig and save" where clothing is less than $1 per pound(yes it's unsorted, in bins, and sold by the pound, sales are done by the bag).
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It's kind of funny how things work in the SC universe.

How come the cheaper an item is, the more likely they are to haggle over it?
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  I've experienced that, too. It works the same way for stealing, as the OP's post shows...

Old job, GameStore: We were clearing out old PSX games when it got to the point where there was no point in trying to sell them anymore. Most of them vaporised in a single day (Black Friday weekend), and most of those from the side of the rack that, of course, was facing away from the registers. Sadly, the stolen items did include some games of value, including, apparently, two copies of Valkyrie Profile -- this was before the PSP version came out, so even our store was asking nearly $80 a pop for them. Most of us working there at the time were planning to come to a nice, civilized method of deciding who had first dibs on buying them...Possibly a royal rumble or something.

Current job, delivering periodicals to newsstands: The stores that give us the hardest time, refuse to listen to us about placing papers where people can SEE them, don't stop competitors from messing up our displays/hiding our papers...? These are always the stores that request --- er, I mean, DEMAND the highest discounts from us, regardless of how much they actually sell Naturally, these stores typically have the lowest sales out of all of our stores, sometimes selling few enough that we'd be losing money even at the normal price levels (normal = Sell X number per week to get discount amount Y). It made me so happy that I got to clear most of these out lately because the boss wanted to save some moolah.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 10-16-2012, 01:20 AM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    There's no bloody NEED to steal from a thrift shop. If you need the clothing, they'll give it to you! Usually they'll offer you more than you want!
                    IIRC, the Salvation Army does that here in the US as well. If you tell them you really can't pay, they will give you clothing.

Not sure if Goodwill does that; I'll have to check next time I go there.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      It's kind of funny how things work in the SC universe.

I have no idea. The amount of stolen merchandise and tempertantruming customers we have is incredible.

No idea on the whole "you can't pay so here are some clothes" policy, though. I guess if that got out to our customers, they'd all claim they didn't have a single penny to their names.

Comment

Working...
                      X