X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Chronicles: Off-Season Quickies

Irony

I came in, only day this month I've come in, and in my first minute on the job, I met this guy.

Mind you, I haven't done this for months, and I'd just learned what to look for to tell if a motor needs straight gas, or premixed gas (gas with oil mixed in) when I'd left.

Me: *walking to the pump* What kind of gas do you need?
    Guy: Oh come on! You know this! It's premix! Regular... Premix.
    Me: Do you put oil in the boat?
    Guy: *scoffs* No!
    Me: Alright. Premix it is.

Later, one of my co-workers asked me if I put regular gas in it, because the type of boat it was needed regular gas. Thankfully all it would do was smoke a bit as it burned off the excess oil.

Low-balling

We sell things online, which is the main focus during the winter season. We have it set up so you can offer your own price, as an alternative to our own.

We had a part out for $40.

A guy offers $10. After a chuckle, we counter. $30.

He counters $20. We tell him $28 is the lowest we can go. He then informs us he can get the part for $18 elsewhere. We still decline his offer, since we know for a fact this isn't true. (We tend to under-cut our prices, finding the cheapest and knocking a percentage off of it.)

Then, because he had run out of Best Offers, he logged into a different account, and offered $27.

To avoid trouble we rejected it, as we were expecting a 'but you saaaaaid' email.

Bonus suck: Coworker edition

I got two new co-workers. One started this week, so I haven't quite met him yet. I haven't heard good news though.

There was an oil spill. Our senior co-worker--both figuratively and literally--said it was the new guy. My boss waited for the guy to fess up. He didn't.

When my boss confronted him about it, asking him if he knew who did it, he tried to pin it on our senior mechanic. The one who said he did it. My boss let it go. Then, when he went through the procedure to clean it up, the guy never offered to help. He stared and watched.

If he could get the part for $18 elsewhere... why did he offer $20? o.O
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      If he could get the part for $18 elsewhere... why did he offer $20? o.O
      Oh, he may have had a quote for $18 from somebody.

Of course, they're out of stock and have no idea on when they'll have another at that price, so he'll go ahead and do you a favor and pay a whole 11% more than that other guy that doesn't actually have any because you can, you know, actually supply the part in question within this decade.

My boss hates these people. But he loves schooling them when they call.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
        Then, because he had run out of Best Offers, he logged into a different account, and offered $27.
        "Nope, it's $35 now, we had to add a dumbass tax."

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
          Later, one of my co-workers asked me if I put regular gas in it, because the type of boat it was needed regular gas. Thankfully all it would do was smoke a bit as it burned off the excess oil.
          Did the guy come back and scream about how his engine was "ruined?"
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
          X