Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer froze. And froze. And froze again.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer froze. And froze. And froze again.

Today, I removed the FireWire card from the computer tower (yes, the computer was off and unplugged), made a note of the brand, and reinstalled it.

Later, when I turned on the computer, it told me that it was installing driver software.

And then the screen froze.

Finally, I turned it off, waited a moment, then turned it on again.

It froze a second time.

We played about five rounds of "When shall I freeze now?" before I turned it off, unplugged it, removed the card, did a visual check of the interior of the tower, put the panel back on, and turned it on.

The computer asked me about doing system repair and system restore. I agreed to both.

It's now up and running, though I did get a message telling me the software had failed to download.

What the hell?

Possibly a driver not jiving with the OS or hardware. Can you go back to the mfg and get an XP driver? And tell the firewire card/driver to operate like it's with XP mode. Or try a Vista driver.
    Does the firewire card only have a x64 driver?
    Did you make sure the card was seated properly/all the way?
    You can also hunt online @ other places to find drivers (start with mfg).
    Are there any other apps you installed along with this? Sometimes a card or doohickey comes with Software package With drivers. Sometimes I just install the driver.
    Uninstall driver/stuff. Run ccleaner just to make sure the registry is cleaned out. Have you checked around on line " firewire mfg window 7 crash " like that?
    Yell at it. "i'm gonna unplug your sorry ass if you don't run with that card" sometimes that works.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm sure the card was seated right - drivers never started to download before, so my best guess is that, though I thought the card was seated right, it wasn't. I can only assume that the driver was for the card, since removing the card got rid of the "Let's freeze" routine the computer was doing.

I didn't install any apps, and I was surprised to find a driver downloading. I don't know what started THAT going.

Comment

Oh, by the way, the hardware is an Orange Micro FireWire PCI Board.

Comment

http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50179.aspx
          Do not use Firewire cards that are combo 1394a and 1394b host controllers unless you are using Windows 7. The 1394b host bus adapters do not have native support under Windows XP and Vista.
          If your motherboard has a specialized PCI slot for communications (usually it is orange), install your Firewire adapter in that slot. These slots usually do not share IRQ (system interrupts) with other motherboard peripherals.
          If your motherboard has a PCI Express 1x slot, this is the best bus type for a Firewire host controller since it does not share interrupts with other motherboard peripherals.

This firewire card is for what? Digital editing? Streaming video? Gremlins?
          Youtube stuff: http://bitly.com/WJWnOs

Is this it?
          http://bit.ly/Tbfxpm The one on Ebay works w/ W98 to W2000. ....

Comment

Other guys : more help, I don't know shit about FireWire...

Comment

I'm using Windows 7, 32-bit. I plugged the card into the only slot that had the right configuration to take it - I think I posted some photos of the interior of the tower some time ago. Shall I repost them? That might help all of us.

The card is for editing video. I haven't been able to download anything yet, due to the USB problem on the one hand, and FireWire on the other.

Comment

Oh, and it's not the FireWire card you found on eBay. But thanks!

Comment

Any more advice?

Comment

I can't, I've asked some of the other members here - I dunno diddly about FireWire

Comment

Working...
                    X