This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissapearing Files?

I'm trying to get some files from my cousin while she's here visiting, they're big, so I was trying to transfer them to my external hard drive rather than making several trips with a flash drive.

She has Windows 7, I'm stuck with Vista. When I plug the drive in, I have no trouble transferring the files, but there is no safe eject option, so I wound up just pulling the plug. When I plugged the drive into my own computer, the files are gone. They're not hidden, and they're still not there when I plug the drive back into her computer. This has happened twice now. I meant to check how much space was being used before and after, but I forgot.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Go to the my computer screen and right click the drive . There should be an eject option on the pop up list that allows you to safely eject the files.

Comment

There isn't, though.

Comment

Are you showing ALL FILES? No hidden files?
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

What the fucking fuck. They just showed up. They weren't hidden, 'cause they didn't appear when I unhid everything two hours ago, but I just went to double check that I'd actually unhid everything, and there they were before I even opened the view options. But only the files from the second attempt, not the first.

Comment

It's always the transferred files disappearing, or else it's the "Can not eject because a process is still using the drive" problem, even though you have everything stopped except the kitchen sink.

Just the same. When I have them eject, if I get the error or not, I won't unplug until I see the drive has stopped whirring (or the flash drive has stopped blinking). It might have write caching, which means even after Windows says it is done copying, it might not be.
            Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

My experience with Windows (XP/V/7) vs. USB drives is that any drive that is connected at boot is not ejectable.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've got XP, and will leave my phone connected (which is seen as an external drive) when I reboot, and it has the eject option.

I haven't tried that with other drives.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If for some reason you can't find an option to dismount or eject a drive, I strongly recommend shutting down before disconnecting it, to prevent this sort of problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X