This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Reality

Issues? "ISSUES" Heck, these folks have the full 5 year subscription and the complimentary hooded sweatshirt!

5 is not 4, Repeat, 5 is NOT 4! No Matter How Hard You Try To Will it So.

We get a call, from the person who rents space 30 at Big Ol' Apartments.

They can't use space 30 because someone is parked in that space, and it isn't them. Which is good really, because if it was them calling themselves in for being in their space, then we either have the mother of all paradoxes or possibly a schizophrenic individual on our hands, and neither of those would be good for the local economy.

But no, it's just some dope who's in a marked space he shouldn't be in, so we send a truck over to fetch him for us.

About 20 minutes later, we get a phone call from the angry owner of towed vehicle, and, hold on to the safety bar and secure your valuables, because away we go.....

- Why'd I get towed?
    - You were parked in someone else's space
    - No I wasn't I live at Big Ol' Apartments! And I have a permit.
    - Okay, hold on for me one moment Sir and I'll go check on that

*Gentleman gets to listen to the "would you like to winterize your car?" hold message while I run to the back of the lot and check his car. Yep, he has a permit, for space 38, which isn't where he was parked*

- Okay Sir, you do have a permit, but it's for spot 38, you were towed from spot 30.
    - But someone else was parked in my spot!
    - Then you should have called us and had them towed
    - No, for what I pay a month for parking, I should get a spot! Do you know how much I pay every month to Big Ol' Apartment for parking?
    - Sir, your spot is number 38, if someone is in that spot, then we will tow them out if you call us and show us your permit, which is what the person in spot 30 did, you cannot use another persons spot
    - Well, I didn't feel like going around and knocking on doors to find the guy who took mine, how about a little due diligence on your part and at least TRY to find out who you're about to tow? I had a permit!
    - That's not our job Sir, and you didn't have a permit for the space you were in, so that's why you were towed, it will be $115 to get your car back
    - No! I have a permit
    - Not for that space
    - But I live there
    - You parked in the wrong space Sir
    - No! I had a permit
    - I can't make this any simpler Sir, you parked in space 30 with a space 38 permit, the person who HAD the permit for space 30 called us to tow you away, and they showed that permit to our driver, so, you were the one illegally parked.
    - I live there, so how about getting me a discount or something?
    - It's $115 to pick up Sir
    - I'll bet you like make mistakes and stuff sometimes, don't you refund people when you tow the wrong car?
    - We didn't tow the wrong car
    - But, hypothetically, if you had towed me by accident, I wouldn't have to pay?
    - We didn't tow you by accident
    - But if you had....
    - I don't know why you're asking me that Sir, this isn't a hypothetical situation, you illegally parked and we towed you for that
    - But if you had made a mistake, you'd refund me my money?
    - Yes, it happens sometimes, and we don't charge people when we make the mistake
    - Well that's what this is! You shouldn't have towed me! You messed up
    - No we didn't Sir, you did by using the wrong space, I'm done arguing with you, it will be $115 to get your car back, if you don't pick it up today, you'll owe an extra $35 in storage tomorrow, we are at *gives address* have a nice day.

*clickslam*

Hypothetically, I could re-load your car, leave with it, and get it up to that spot on the dirt road that goes over top of the Mountain outside of town where those car thieves disposed of that stolen pickup last month by pushing it over the edge of a cliff (Manufacturer claims about building "tough trucks" aside, their newest model cannot survive a 150' vertical fall, even with a few trees to slow it down on the way) and back your precious car into oblivion just like the truck went. All before you could even walk over here. But don't worry, that's just a hypothetical situation, and I don't do hypothetical situations....

The $780 tow bill for that truck however, was very VERY real, just ask the truck owner's insurance carrier about that. Two tow trucks, two drivers, two hours of winching, plus post-crash cleanup, plus the final tow once it was back on the road, well, that all adds up. And as another thread on this board has made very very clear, don't EVER leave your keys in your car/truck, especially a brand new one, or you might find yourself getting a $780 tow bill!

I Never Said I Did What I Said I Did!

Here's another gentleman who's version of reality is several vendor updates behind ours.... because he's also trying to prove that 2 plus 2 equals 3...

We've been playing email ping pong for the better part of this week with him, the whole issue is that he feels he wasn't in the wrong even though he parked:

- In a permit parking only lot, without a permit
    - In the HANDICAPPED spot in the permit parking lot, without a handicapped mirror tag or license plate
    - Put his flashers on, which not only makes no difference, but is the same as if you lit up a giant blinking neon sign that said "TOW MY CAR!" *pause* "TOW MY CAR!" *pause* "EAT AT JOES" *pause* "TOW MY CAR!" so he naturally got noticed, and well, no points will be awarded for guessing what happened.

How do we know all that? Because he admitted it in his opening letter, "On thus and such date I parked at *location* and......

Well, 4 letters later, he's still trying to argue with us over imagined legal technicalities that mean he wasn't doing anything wrong, you don't NEED permits if you flashers are on! (you do) you don't NEED handicapped permits if you flashers are on! (you do) It's a FREE country! You can't do this to me! You aren't the cops! etc etc etc..... which has gotten him nowhere.

His final letter to us said, among other things, that we were shady and dishonest and we can't even prove he parked there to begin with.... wait, wuh?

Yep, we've apparently been assuming he was parked there the whole time we've been disputing this, "I never even said I parked there!" was what the last line of his letter said.

We cut the "On thus and such date I parked at *location*" part out of his INITIAL email, pasted that into the latest reply, and said "You admitted it here, your fees stand as is, we are done arguing"

My advice, go for an insanity plea, that's your only hope now, the failure to keep your own internal logic and story straight will go a long way to bolstering that claim....
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

I love how the first guy thought he was so suave to start out "hypothetically" and then turn it around to a "real" scenario. It's sort of the same thing Bugs Bunny does when he's going back and forth with Daffy Duck over whether it's Rabbit Season or Duck Season, and switches it so Daffy admits it's Duck season.

Only this time, because you're not an idiot cartoon character, it doesn't work.
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Love how he tried to not admit to parking illegally. Bit late on that one!
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        Issues? "ISSUES" Heck, these folks have the full 5 year subscription and the complimentary hooded sweatshirt!
        I love this. Can haz for sig?

Hypothetically, I could re-load your car, leave with it, and get it up to that spot on the dirt road that goes over top of the Mountain outside of town where those car thieves disposed of that stolen pickup last month by pushing it over the edge of a cliff (Manufacturer claims about building "tough trucks" aside, their newest model cannot survive a 150' vertical fall, even with a few trees to slow it down on the way)
        Holy crap I've never quite understood why car thieves do this when they're done with the joyride (unless there's a body in the car, which OTOH makes perfect sense). Why not just leave it in a bad part of town and walk away? Why go to the trouble of destroying it?

I guess I'm just naive.

I'm not sure why you bother with email tag past the first email. Of course, it could be fun stringing along the SC without having to listen to their screaming.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          I love this. Can haz for sig?
          Go right ahead!

I'm not sure why you bother with email tag past the first email. Of course, it could be fun stringing along the SC without having to listen to their screaming.
          That's half the reason we'll even entertain the 2nd and sometimes 3rd letter.... and also, it leaves a paper trail if they later claim they tried to get in touch with us but "couldn't get a resolution" And yes, it is fun, so there's that too.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            Holy crap I've never quite understood why car thieves do this when they're done with the joyride (unless there's a body in the car, which OTOH makes perfect sense). Why not just leave it in a bad part of town and walk away? Why go to the trouble of destroying it?
            For the same reason people go to such elaborate extremes to murder Sims. It's fun to be destructive when there's no consequences. ...and in this case, to them, there weren't...to them. So yuh.
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Given the truck is probably a total loss at that point, what does he lose by refusing to pick it up? (I don't imagine there's a lot left after 150' fall.)

Comment

The $780 tow bill for that truck however, was very VERY real, just ask the truck owner's insurance carrier about that.
                Wow, either you guys are really cheap, or the driver that had to winch my car up from the bottom of a 30-foot embankment that was clear of any obstructions was a greedy dick. I'm inclined to think the latter. They wanted $400 for the winching and another $400 for the tow (about 3 miles) and $75 a day for storage. The car only cost me $500 when I got it (auctioned from a tow lot) and was damaged to the point that it was not salvageable, so they were free to keep it. Assholes.

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                Given the truck is probably a total loss at that point, what does he lose by refusing to pick it up? (I don't imagine there's a lot left after 150' fall.)
                The insurance claim. The insurance adjustor has to check it out, and that's not going to happen while it's at the bottom of a ravine.

Also, the cops can still try to get prints off the vehicle. The thieves were probably hoping that the vehicle wouldn't be found at all, being at the bottom of a drop, but anyone who isn't a complete moron knows that remotely current vehicles all have a GPS in them.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I seriously don't think I could do your job. I'd be screaming at the idiots within a day.

Comment

It never fails to amaze me when people will try to engineer you into "confessing" an "error" by concocting a hypothetical situation in which you made an error.

But, as you said, Arga, you don't deal in hypothetical situations.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That first guy was really annoying. He's bitching because he pays for a parking space but couldn't use it? Well, what about the guy whose space he did use? That other guy pays for parking, too, and couldn't use it because of this asshat.

Did the guy giving you the runaround via email ever actually pick up his car? Or do you still have it because he won't pay the fees?
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In this previous thread, I posted the following

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        You mean the person in spot #5 didn't park in another spot and thus perpetuating the cycle of illegally parked cars?
                        This thread put what was missing back in my life.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Ya know, Arga, I'm beginning to look forward to your wonderfully snarky towing threads ^_^ It's like you're an alternate-universe GK.

Only, instead of dealing with people who think that hot pink camo looks amazingly awesome, you get to deal with people who think that having their hazard flashers on exempts them from having to obey the law
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Go right ahead!
                            Thanks!

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                            For the same reason people go to such elaborate extremes to murder Sims. It's fun to be destructive when there's no consequences. ...and in this case, to them, there weren't...to them. So yuh.
                            Point . . . good point.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Back when I was with my previous carrier, the "bobtail" space I rented in the company lot was numbered. Frequently, I'd find another (same carrier) truck parked in it, but I did 2 things:

1) I kept in my truck a copy of the latest posted list of "which truck rents which space", and I'd backtrack (look for the truck number in my space, see which space he was assigned to, look who's in that space, see which space is theirs, lather, rinse, repeat until I either found a truck not on the list, or a mis-parked truck whose assigned space was vacant. If the latter, I'd "close the loop" by parking in that space. If the former, I'd park in one of the empty spaces (yes, I know it's someone else's space).

2) I'd send a satelite message to dispatch telling them which space I had parked in, and listing the chain of mis-parked trucks (normally I'd run into this when coming back on the weekend after dispatch closed). That way, if someone else complained about their space being occupied, dispatch would know I wasn't the one who started it, and they'd have evidence pointing to who did it (i.e. the truck not on the list).
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X