This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I sucky?

Today is my birthday. Yay... Anyway, my hubby knows I love shopping in Ross. They have really neat stuff for cheap.

Anyway, we found him this really nice sweater that I *told* him to try on. Well, he always refuses and was like if its too small we can just return it. We normally don't return items so I was a little iffy on it.

Well, we purchases our items the lady was nice as hell chatting us up and being friendly. (note it was super windy outside) So, we left got to the car, hubby tried on the shirt. Didn't fit.

We shrugged and decided to return it before we drove away. Well guess what? Could NOT find the receipt to save our lives... I felt really stupid.

We went in anyway hoping maybe for even a store credit or an exchange. Yeah, I was one of those customers...

We went back in with the shirt and explained it to the same lady. You could tell she was super annoyed.

SL: sales lady

SL do you atleast have the tag?

Me: Uh... hang on sorry.

Hubby ran out to the car to find it.

me: I'm really sorry but we can't find the receipt... I think it blew out of the car when he took it out of the bag.

We didn't stuff up the line cuz there wasn't one and there were other cashier's open.

SL gets on the phone and pages a manager and says this: I need a return and the customer has NO receipt.

She sounded super annoyed and sarcastic. I understand I did loose something and yes, I probably looked like the world's biggest moron but could you *try* to keep the sarcasm out of your voice? I was embarassed to the point of I almost wanted to walk out and cry. I don't do confrontations well and I felt like hiding under a rock.

Hubby came back with the tag and guess who was now nice as pie? SL. That and her boss was standing there. I guess I am used to how I treat people and I never would've gotten away with some tude in front of the customer.

Though while standing there as the manager looked through the receipts on the comp I got to witness some guy being a douche to the poor other cashier. He was angry cuz she didn't read his mind about wanting his stuff double bagged. I hope he felt like a jerk when he realized like five people were staring at him and going wtf. He also had a cow that he couldn't bring out the cart. He had like two items.

Whatever. We got our money back and it kind of made me feel like crap... I'm sure they were thinking I was an idiot the entire time. I know it sounded like a scam or something but it really did blow out of the car. *sigh* Oh well.

You were NOT sucky. I would never give a customer attitude about not having a receipt! I just try to help as best as I can with a store credit or something. I'm there to solve the customers' issues; it's what I get paid for.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Nope, not sucky. People lose their receipts, it happens honestly a lot of the time. That's why a lot of companies have the "No receipt = store credit" option. I've worked a customer service desk at times during my stint at Target and I would've never giving that kind of attitude to a customer, even one that I was 100% sure was trying to scam.

Also she had to do was call the manager and go, "Hi, I need an approval for a return, could you come check it out?" No need to go all snotty.

Don't feel bad, though use this as an excuse to force your hubsters to try on clothing before you buy it XD
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Sorry that casher was so snarky to you. She needs an attitude adjustment.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So I was talking to one of my guy friends who used to work at a similar store. I mentioned the incident in the post and this is what he told me...

"Ross customer service cannot process a return/exchange without a receipt and tag, or one or the other. Since you showed up with neither, the cashier couldn't process the return to start with. Also, that is a way people try to scam the store and cashiers can get in trouble for doing an exchange/credit without the tag attached. When your husband brought in the tag, I suspect her attitude changed because now there was a credit she could give. In my experience, denying an exchange/credit can get very confrontational and Ross cashiers usually have several a day."

So yea I think the cashier was a little defensive because of the threat of theft that may be coming from higher up. I'm not saying that was okay tho...

Comment

Since you were just in the store, could they have reprinted the receipt?
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I know it's late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Since you were just in the store, could they have reprinted the receipt?
              That's exactly what I was wondering. Especially since it was that same person that just checked them out.

I know we don't always remember exactly all the people we check out, but it doesn't sound like it was all that long or that the store was that busy that she'd forget that soon.

Quoth Anakah View Post
              We went back in with the shirt and explained it to the same lady. You could tell she was super annoyed.

Though while standing there as the manager looked through the receipts on the comp I got to witness some guy being a douche to the poor other cashier.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post

So yea I think the cashier was a little defensive because of the threat of theft that may be coming from higher up.
                It's fine to be suspicious. It's not fine to be rude and insult the person while said person is standing right in front of them.

It's very easy to be suspicious while remaining a polite. Actually, that's how I was trained at Target while I was a cashier concerning people trying to use fake coupons.

"Just say there is an issue with the process and that you have to call a manager, turn on your call light, and assure them that a manager will be there quickly to sort everything out."

You don't call the manager using words and a tone that broadcast to everyone within ear shot that you think the person is a scammer or a thief.
                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I even asked her when I bought the item if it was an easy return. We weren't even gone five mins after we bought it to bring it back. Stupid on our part but he was really sure it would fit... Its a case of I told him so!

But the manager had no problem, she went into her computer and looked up recent transactions found mine and things were okay. I felt stupid the entire time. Yeah I did loose something in like five seconds flat but not everybody is trying to scam someone unfortunately the scammers make the rest of us look like insta thieves.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                    It's fine to be suspicious. It's not fine to be rude and insult the person while said person is standing right in front of them.
                    You didn't use the full line. I didn't say that was a good reason for the cashier to be rude.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      You didn't use the full line. I didn't say that was a good reason for the cashier to be rude.
                      It was more of a general response and not one directly at you, more like extrapolating that while this is policy, this is how the person should act.

Comment

Simply asking a cashier what they can do about a return without a receipt is not at all sucky.

Being bitchy and yelling at the cashier over the return policy which is often written all over the signs at the front desk IS sucky, which you didn't do.

I think the cashier just had one too many SCs that did the latter to the point where she was preemptively rude and snarky. Not that this is any defense, mind you. The cashier shouldn't have done that, especially express her rudeness over the PA system.
                        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                        Fiancee: What?!
                        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

not sucky.

even if they can't process a return without a receipt - you sound like you asked nicely, and didn't pull a hissy fit in any part of this.

so i'm not sure how any part of this could have been sucky on your part.
                          Last edited by PepperElf; 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X