This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    Cheese-on-bread was just impatient. He'd open a file and if it didn't open within x amount of seconds he'd double-click it again. and again. and again. So when the file finally opened he ... had to still wait because he managed to open it several times over.
    I work with someone who does that. Whenever she has trouble with a function she repeatedly clicks on it, despite being told not to. She has asked me for help on things (gotta say that's like asking Homer Simpson to explain string theory) and I have told her, "stop clicking on it because you're just making it worse." Her response is that she does "because it makes him nuts", him being the dept. IT guy. The fact that it actually DOES make her computer problem worse seems lost on her.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
      That must have driven you nuts.
      OHHHHHHHH YEAH it did. I had 6 (count em 6) bosses/owners who really did know about the jewelry biz but LITTLE in the way of IT stuff. ANY one of them could come into my office and demand that I stop whatever I was doing and do stuff for THEM RIGHT NOW. they seemed very content to keep on using a slow, clunky, out-of-date piece of shit system.

The main program set was run on an aling IBM/S36, written in RPG and was 20 years old back in the mid 1990s.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        worked as the IT guy for a family jewelry company,
        Quoth Lachrymose View Post
        That must have driven you nuts.
        ISWYDT.

Comment

Yeah

Sorry for making you post a serious reply, Racket Man.

(I tried to somehow tie it in better to the IT thing, but I couldn't do it. )

Comment

Referencing Harry Potter as Muggle electronic stuff (at least in the 1990s) would wig out and not work inside Hogwarts.
            No, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Dresden Files. In that universe, wizards emit a magical aura that interferes with electronic devices, and the angrier or more emotional the wizard gets, the worse the interference is. Harry Dresden can kill a copier at 50 paces with an angry thought.
            It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
              No, I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Dresden Files. In that universe, wizards emit a magical aura that interferes with electronic devices, and the angrier or more emotional the wizard gets, the worse the interference is. Harry Dresden can kill a copier at 50 paces with an angry thought.
              Harry also weaponizes it with a spell called Hexus, which he uses to bork up people's phones and computers when he wants to prevent them from calling backup. Naturally, it only works on mundanes. The supernatural types have alternate methods of calling their backup.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I can kill a copier at 50 paces with an angry thought. That's not a feat of wizardly might, copiers are just crap

Comment

In the Harry Potter world I think it works almost the same way. In Goblet of Fire Herminonie says that Rita Skeeter could NOT be using a muggle "bugging device" to find out supposedly "secret" information.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

In the Harry Potter world I think it works almost the same way. In Goblet of Fire Herminonie says that Rita Skeeter could NOT be using a muggle "bugging device" to find out supposedly "secret" information.
                    I'm also fairly certain there is a scene or two where Harry gets upset or frustrated and anything acting off electricity starts to get wonky.

However, the reason that rita Skeeter cannot use a muggle bugging device is because of all the magical wards and spells placed around Hogwarts to stop muggles from accidentally stumbling upon it. Doesn't have to do with there being wizards there, just the spells already placed.
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

It is indeed Dresden I'm referencing. I've been listening to my collected audio versions of the books at work.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

No power

I can think of a number of bugging methods that require no power to work.

1) Listening tube.

2) Sound Dishes or Horns.

3) Just simple eavesdropping nearby may do.

Comment

Working...
                        X