This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken LCD

A post on Tech Help reminded me of this incident, from many years ago... This was back when TFT LCD displays were new on the market, and active matrix displays were really expensive...

I was with a friend who did some computer sales and consulting; he'd gotten a phone call from a customer, and they were arguing hard; he put down the phone, exasperated, and I asked what was wrong. "Maybe you can help this idiot." He then handed the phone to me.

"I broke the LCD on my laptop, and I don't understand why you want so much money to fix it!"

Oy vey. "The LCD is a very expensive part, sir. It's twice as expensive as the entire rest of the laptop. Yes, it's going to be about a thousand dollars to replace."

"I don't accept that, I simply can't believe it." Definitely a SC.

"Well, sir, you can check with someone else if you wish, but that's how much they cost."

"I simply can't see how this little part can be so expensive."

Wait, little? "Um... Sir? Exactly what is it that's broken?"

"It's this little LCD, the one above the keyboard."

The screen's above the keyboard, but I wouldn't call it little... "So the screen's broken?"

"No, not the screen, the LCD!"

... DOH!

All at once I realized what he was talking about. A few laptops of that milieu had a small LCD display that showed power/charging status, rather than the LEDs most laptops use. So he wasn't a sucky customer at all; a grand to replace that part was obviously wrong.

It took quite a bit of apologizing and explaining why we both thought LCD meant "screen"; my friend priced and ordered the replacement part at $25, and everything was copacetic.
Working...
X