This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still angry (longish)

Now that I work mainly for <hospital> instead of just outpatient centers, I've had to start taking call. We have to put up with so much crap on call it's ridiculous. Part of me wonders how much I really have to put up with and how much is me still being new at this, but I digress.

Yesterday I got a call from my coworkers asking if I could come in and do a scan at 430. FYI, 430 is when call starts. I said sure. So I got there at 430, turned all the equipment back on, put info in the computer, and called the unit to get the patient down for the test.

Unit: Ok, but it will be awhile.
    Me: No problem.

I should have asked "Define awhile." This particular patient was on a ventilator which means they needed to have a nurse and someone from respiratory therapy come down as well. It's been awhile since I've done this particular scan with someone on a vent.

Time passes, which I was killing by surfing the web. Really there's nothing else I can do. I happen to glance up at the clock and it's now 730 and still no word on the patient. So I called the unit again.

Me: Hey, just wondering about this patient and when we're gonna do this test.
    Unit: The patient's getting transferred to <other unit> I'm waiting on a call back from <other unit> about sending one of their nurses down. I didn't forget you, I promise.
    Me: That's fine, but I need to know soon. I've got tracers that are decaying, so this needs to happen sooner rather than later.
    Unit: Ok.

Another hour goes by and sure enough, my tracers have decayed past the point where I can use them. Fortunately for <unit> we have a standing order for tracers calibrated for 1130 and midnight, so I had more I could use. Otherwise, they would have either been SOL, or I would have had to call for more which takes an hour. I was getting more and more pissed off and finally called <other unit>.

Me: Was <unit> trying to coordinate with you guys to get a patient down for this scan?
    Other Unit: Yes and the charge nurse just called so we should be there in the next 30 minutes.

Sure enough a few minutes later <unit> called to say they were on the way.

Now as I mentioned, it's been awhile since I've done this particular test on someone with a vent. But my coworker had set everything up for me and left instructions on how to hook everything up. The RT tech was a bloomin' idiot. And a patronizing jerk.

Me: Ok, I've got to get an aerosol into the patient's lungs, so I need to hook up my little contraption here to your machine.
    RT: Well, how is that going to work?
    Me: *staring at the helpful notes from my coworker--really it's pretty idiot proof* Well, I'm guessing this part goes to your machine and this part goes to the patient.
    RT: I just don't see how that's going to work.
    Me: Pretty sure you hook this part to my bucket and this part to the patient.
    RT: Well, you better figure it out.

At this point, I'm really trying not to completely flip my lid seeing as how I've been there way longer than I should have and this maroon is basically insinuating I don't know how to do my job.

Me: This is how it goes.
    RT: *huffs* I guess we'll try it. We'll know pretty fast if it doesn't work.

Well, whaddya know? I was right.

Not long into the aerosol delivery, RT suddenly decides she doesn't need a filter that's already attached. So instead of asking if it was ok to pull it off, she just unhooks and does it. THAT AEROSOL'S RADIOACTIVE YOU IDIOT!!! She basically just gave some to everyone. Then she sets the filter down on my imaging table. THE FILTER THAT'S JUST HAD RADIOACTIVE AEROSOL GOING THROUGH IT. I admit, I kinda shoved her out of the way to pick it up and try to keep the contamination to a minimum.

RT: Do you want me to get a wipe and wipe the table down?
    Me: No! I'll get it. I don't want that getting spread all over the table and be in my pictures.

Now technically speaking, an RT is supposed to be monitoring the machine at all times. Once the aerosol was done and we got everything hooked back up, she left.

RT: As long as this light stays green, everything's good.

Well, sweetcheeks, neither I nor the nurse know what to do if the light doesn't stay green. I have no idea what all these flashing lights mean. So if something were to happen, pretty sure that's on you, darlin. She didn't even stay for lift help and the patient was on the hefty side. Once the scan was done I paged her overhead. And then she had the nerve to sound annoyed about it.

I was there for 5 hours. For a test that should have taken an hour at the most. Ugh. I hate call.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Someone you can report her to?

Rapscallion

Comment

Oh yeah. That RT definitely needs a good, stern talking-to, at least.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Won't do any good. Sadly.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

There has to be someone you can report this to. This woman is a menace.

Is there a tip line at your hospital?
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The sooner that RT is removed, the better. From reading your post, it looks like she was not only not doing her job (buggering off after telling people who aren't expected to know about the equipment what a normal condition looks like - light stays green - but nothing about what to DO in an abnormal condition). That's what she was sent with the patient for - SHE knows what to do in an abnormal condition, and the patient's life depends on it.

Not only is she either incompetent or lazy in her own job, but she fucks with shit she doesn't understand. Taking off a filter while an aerosol tracer is in use (releasing radioactivity into the room), putting the filter on the imaging table (which would fuck up the test results by adding stray radioactivity to what's being tested).

I'd be inclined to put in a formal request that when an RT needs to accompany the patient to your department, that she NOT be sent, explaining the reasons.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              I'd be inclined to put in a formal request that that RT have a GI scan.
              (Gross Incompetence)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
              X