This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome customer today

I was on register today; it was barely-controlled chaos--tomorrow's gonna suck. There were a lot of Elderbuses in the parking lot, but generally everyone seemed to be in a good mood (a pleasant change from the usual senior invasions).

I was ringing up an elderly woman who was clearly buying for Thanksgiving dinner: turkey, stuffing mix, roasting pan, everything. Her total bill came to $87 and change.

She only had $70 on her, and when this came to light I felt bad; on one hand I didn't want to be the bad guy, but on the other I didn't know what else to do (I'll cover a customer if they're a few cents short, but I didn't have that kind of cash on me at the moment). She starts going through her bags looking for items to void off.

A customer checking out in the next lane must have overheard this, and taps me on the shoulder. Passes me a $20 bill, saying: "Here, use this toward her total. Everyone deserves a Thanksgiving meal, and I know you don't want to have to take things off."

It took me a few minutes to tell the lady that she didn't need to put anything back and get her to understand that the extra was covered (and she would be getting money back). When she realized this her face positively lit up. She waited until both transactions were finished, hobbled over and hugged the other customer (I got some dust in my eye at that point, and the next customer in my lane did as well).

ASM called a cab for the elderly lady and helped get her groceries in. By the time I got a second free to properly thank the other customer she was gone.

Given the normal customer base in this store, I was not expecting that at all. Thank you for making an elderly customer's day a lot brighter (and slightly restoring my faith in humanity), whoever you are.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I think I got some of that dust in my eye too...darn dust.
    I no longer fear HELL.
    I work in RETAIL.

Comment

What a great story. It's people like this that make retail bearable.

Comment

Yeah, well, I'm totally bawling over here.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've done that a few times, never expecting anything back either. and one time my karma paid off almost immediately....the guy paid for my groceries, all $25 worth, simply because I paid for something that was less then $6 that wasn't covered by food stamps, a slow cooked chicken I believe.
          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

I love stories like this. How can this not make you feel awesome afterwards? Damn... Dust in my eye...
            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

I read a comment on YouTube once about those darned onion-peeling ninjas. Clearly at least one has snuck into my house!
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Damn onion peeling ninjas!

Comment

Love stories like these and really needed to read a heartwarming one today. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X