Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all over some markdowns any time I can get them, too. Saving money rocks! That's one major benefit of working in the grocery store. But no one can get everything discounted all the time. If the same customers are buying all the markdowns, it isn't fair to everyone else.
    "Hell is other people." - Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Being pensioners, we do try to time shopping for markdown time; at least some of the time.

But we also try not to be a nuisance about it. We'll check to see if stuff is marked down yet, and if it isn't, go pick up other stuff and come back when we're done.

It's a bonus, and it enables us to have chickeny goodness; it's not an entitlement!
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
        I must admit...part of the reason I shop where and when I do ...is because they discount their rotisserie chicken.
        And you're the kind of person the policy is aimed at. You aren't 'working the system', you're buying one when the potential sales are trailing off.

Comment

along with the "How will I feed my family!!!" zombies who descend upon KFC it really boggles my mind that there are people out there who have no fucking idea how to take raw or frozen chicken and turn it into food on their own.

Its kind of a shame you have to toss out good food at then end of the day. So much food goes to waste in this country...
          There's a few reasons for this

1) Once the chicken - or whatever - thing closes, if they kept leftovers then they'd have to be refrigerated. Otherwise the store would end up handing out OLD food to people. And the last thing any store needs is a reputation of giving the poor an expensive case of food poisoning.

2) Let's pretend they did refrigerate it. Now they're giving up space & incurring a cost... for food they can't sell anyway. To compensate they'd have to raise prices. After all this is a business and in order to survive they do need to make a profit. (If the store chooses to do this to sell it on discount that's their own choice but it shouldn't be obligatory if they don't want to)

3) If too many people wait until the end of the day to buy, they might end up losing money too. I mean if they make enough in the day to justify not caring if the rest goes for cheaper - or free - that's one thing, but if ... they find that no one's buying them and waiting for the end of the day instead, then it may encourage them to put a stop to it.

So, the best course of action for them may be to throw it out. It can on extra costs and protects them from lawsuits.

As for helping the poor... IIRC most food banks ask for non-perishible goods for the same reason - cos it won't spoil. I know some will take perishable foods, but usually it's pre-arranged so that they bring the proper equipment to transfer the food, and that still usually ends up in the foods they serve rather than the foods they hand out.

Although around here, some grocery stores also sell "grocery packages" where customers can buy for others in the community as well.
          Last edited by PepperElf; 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Grocery store I worked at years ago had us pour bleach in the garbage before taking it out just to keep people from dumpster diving.
            Lay your hands upon me
            Like an angel from above
            Put your arms around me,
            'Cause you're fallin'

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              along with the "How will I feed my family!!!" zombies who descend upon KFC it really boggles my mind that there are people out there who have no fucking idea how to take raw or frozen chicken and turn it into food on their own.
              Cooking - even cooking plain food - is a skill. Some people have no idea how to go about starting.

Of course, there are cooking shows on TV, books, videos on YouTube, etc etc. Not to mention instructions on a lot of packet stuff. But that doesn't stop the sort of person who's afraid of trying new things.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Personally I am scared shitless of cooking because my fiance has a range with ACTUAL FIRE (I have only ever had an electric stove)...

...and the pain of being popped by hot grease while frying something. I'm not normally scared to try things, but...
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I never understood extreme cheapskates like that. They run the risk of getting food poisoning by dumpster diving, and the medical costs involved to treat that are more expensive than just paying for fresh food when it's sold.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    Personally I am scared shitless of cooking because my fiance has a range with ACTUAL FIRE (I have only ever had an electric stove)...

...and the pain of being popped by hot grease while frying something. I'm not normally scared to try things, but...
                    On being popped by hot grease, it burns, but you get used to it the more you cook with it.
                    If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Well, that, and dumpster diving is actually illegal in many places >_> It can be considered theft. (please, no debates as to whether it should be so)
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X