Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dildos, Doucebags, and being Dead on my feet!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dildos, Doucebags, and being Dead on my feet!

My new security post is at a local branch of a company where their orders are fulfilled, processed and shipped. Being Xmas time, it's BUSY!!! I'm working 71 hours this week, with four 12hour days in a row in there. The floor is all concrete. We're not supposed to sit or read, we're supposed to stand or walk and monitor. 12 hours. On a concrete floor. The pain in my feet is up to my knees and is somehow making my shoulders stiff. I rotate shoes and insoles throughout the day. But hey, I'm busy and I will have good $ in overtime.

When we walk, we go through rows upon rows of shelves to check for items that may have been opened or stolen by employees; specifically dvds and games with the plastic sliced-open and the disks missing. So I'm intent on scanning shelves, scanning, scanning....

Well hello there!

I'm face to face with an unwrapped, realistic, flesh-colored penis.

I wasn't expecting that and actually jumped. 'Toys' and other such items are usually wrapped in a plain black bag or brown paper, but the code on the sticker would tell an employee's scanner exactly what's inside. Apparently, someone was curious and unwrapped it. Loss Prevention was not amused.

Every time the employees leave the warehouse floor and go into the break room/cafeteria, they have to go through screening. They line-up and walk through metal detectors, and open-up cigarette boxes, glass cases, etc. for us to look into (we don't ever touch them or their items). If they still beep, we wand them. If an employee has a bag with personal items, it must be clear and we must look at the contents even if they brought it through the metal detector and it didn't beep.

One employee walked-through the scanner with his clear plastic bag held down at his side.
    I said "excuse me sir, could I see in your bag there?" He nearly shoved it up my nose and spat
    "It's a tooth brush! Ever seen one of those!?" and kept walking without missing a step. Another employee said the guy was just having a bad day.

At least the regular employees are fine with this and know the process, so it only takes between 2-5 minutes depending on the size of the group taking the break. And breaks are broken-up with 2 groups breaking 4 times a day, staggered by 1/2 hour. It's the new hires and temps that seem to slow things down. Some will insist on wearing pants with studs, or big bracelets, or lots of jewelry and then get upset when they're wanded every time. Sorry, if you set-off the detector, it doesn't matter if we see your giant bracelet, you still get wanded.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Especially if they're waved through because of the big bracelet, only to have their big, baggy pockets full of other things that set off the scanners and don't belong to them.

Comment

If they follow procedure it will be a lot easier. I been through scanners and it takes what... Less than 5 seconds per person IF they are smart and cooperate?
      NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Because those gigantic bracelets are totally required to do your job.
        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Sorry, if you set-off the detector, it doesn't matter if we see your giant bracelet, you still get wanded.
          And this makes perfect sense.

I still remember the scene from Escape from Alcatraz where Clint Eastwood's character made a small metal digging tool, only he had to figure out some way to get it past the metal detectors.

So he made two - one to hide in his boot, and the other to hand to the guard when the metal detector went off. It worked too. The guard assumed the one piece of metal was the only one and never sent him through the detector a second time. And the wands didn't exist back then AFAIK.

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
          If they follow procedure it will be a lot easier. I been through scanners and it takes what... Less than 5 seconds per person IF they are smart and cooperate?
          When I did my 2 month stint with jury duty, the bailiff suggested that we don't bring purses in because it can hold up the line. So, not only did I arrive early (for parking), I switched to using a tiny purse - one that could only hold my wallet and keys. And even then, I'd bring it through empty so that they only had to glance at it for a couple of seconds.

I wouldn't have even done that, except that my pockets weren't big enough for me to stuff my wallet into them.
          Last edited by PepperElf; 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X