Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I earned some good karma points today, hopefully!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I earned some good karma points today, hopefully!

I was in Target and was standing in line behind this woman who had three really small kids. She looked a little stressed out, but the kids weren't being overly badly behaved from what I could see.

She was paying and the cashier was waiting for her to swipe her card and finish her transaction. All of a sudden, the mother says to the cashier:

"Why are you LOOKING at me like that?"

I glanced at the cashier, who kind of stammered "Um, I wasn't..." at the mother.

She finished her transaction, snatched the receipt and grabbed her bags and walked out.

I stepped up to pay and the cashier looked understandably upset. I said:

"What was THAT about?"

She said:

"I honestly have NO idea. Am I looking at YOU funny?"

I laughed and said no.

She then said:

"I think she was stressed out and her kids seemed to be getting on her nerves."

I kind of chuckled and made some remark about this time of year making people crazy.

I finished my transaction and asked her if she wanted me to talk to her manager in case the crazy mother complained.

She said: "Oh, would you?", so I said that of course I would.

She paged the team lead over and I pulled her aside and said, "Listen, I just wanted to tell you what went down in case you get a complaint on her." Then I related the story. I went on to stay, "This cashier was not looking at her in any malicious or aggressive way...the customer appeared to be having a bad day and was taking it out on her and I'd rather not see her get into trouble for it."

The manager thanked me and the cashier thanked me profusely.

I told them I didn't mind. I work customer service and I know how insane people are. It really pisses me off to see people behave this way, and for no reason other than she obviously was having a shitty day or some other personal issue.

That poor cashier could have easily faced some sort of write up or discipline if the crazy mom had complained and someone hadn't spoken up.

I do admit I walked out of there feeling very good about myself. Sometimes it's the small things in life that we can do in order to lend a little support to our fellow human beings.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

I nominate Peppergirl for sainthood. All in favor?

Comment

AYE!!! ...AYE!

All opposed?

...................................nay.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Ha! Thanks guys! I'm far from a saint, though.

It just made me feel good to speak up for someone who couldn't speak up for herself. I'd love to be able to snap back at some of the douchebags customers I have, so it was very theraputic.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

All opposed?

...................................nay.
          Who keeps saying that?
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Who keeps saying that?
            Neigh? Some horses patoot...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              Who keeps saying that?
              ..............it was HIM. Let's get 'im, fellas.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                Ha! Thanks guys! I'm far from a saint, though.

It just made me feel good to speak up for someone who couldn't speak up for herself. I'd love to be able to snap back at some of the douchebags customers I have, so it was very theraputic.
                Peppergirl, you might not consider yourself a saint, but the world needs alot more people like you.

Comment

The SC's outburst reminded me of this:

YouTube Clip from 'Kingpin'
                  "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                  -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

That was an awesome thing you did, PG. It may not have seemed like much, but sometimes the smallest gestures can have the biggest impact for someone.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

(*Groans and steps over the mounting pile of cornball to comment about the actual topic. )

Peppergirl, I think it's wonderful that you took the time to stand up for that poor cashier.

So many times, management just takes the complainer at their word and doesn't get the straight story.

You deserve to feel good about yourself.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

That was a very nice thing to do
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

i remember mom doing that once.

we were at a chinese buffet and we had 2 different waitresses. one was polite and let us take our time, the other kept trying to rush us. mom suspected she was also berating the polite server for not rushing us too.

when we left mom made a point of telling the manager just how wonderful the polite waitress was. (and explained to us kids that it was in case the other waitress tried getting her in trouble).

Comment

Working...
                          X