This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My week in review

One or two MiM, but the majority are customer-based so it goes here. In addition to the holiday craziness, we're now the only 'full' grocery store in town, so get to deal with all the morons that Other Store had...joy.

Impossible Cranberries
    I'm restocking the gift cards, and am dealing with the display rack in the frozen aisle (which some kid had run into and knocked over earlier that day) when I'm accosted by an old guy and his wife.

OG: "Frozen cranberries!"
    OGW: "You have them!"
    Me: *we do? news to me* "Well, all the frozen fruit we have is right over here..."
    I make a show of checking the shelf for frozen cranberries. That is something I know for a fact we do not and never did carry.
    Me: "It doesn't look like we have them. We do have canned, fresh and dried. Canned is in Aisle 3 and fresh and dried are over in Pro--"
    OG: "This is impossible! You have them, you just don't know! You're just lazy!"
    Me: "Well, cranberries are a fruit, yes?"
    OGW nods.
    Me: "You want them frozen."
    OGW nods.
    Me: *OK, they're not getting it* "And we're in front of the frozen fruit, yes?"
    OG and OGW both nod.
    Me: "I checked. They are not with the FROZEN FRUIT, so we don't have any. We have fresh and dried over in the produce section. [BoutiqueGrocery] down the street has them, you can also go check there." *please, go harass them*
    I quickly busy myself with righting the huge cardboard display so I can have a reason not to engage them anymore.

Apparently, later OG actually barged into the back room to 'check' (the freezers aren't accessible from there unless you know where to go) and ran into grocery manager D. All I heard was yelling.

No, these are not fake trees
    I'm the only one who noticed that the small fir trees we have displayed at the front actually need to be watered...um, I thought that was Floral's job. We've had them for about a month. One died a few days ago, New ASM when apprised of this said "Oh just keep watering it, it'll come back." Said tree is now on the floor in the back hallway, dropping more branches daily (I was going to take a picture of how pathetically silly it looked with branches and ornaments on the floor, but someone cleaned it up before I could do so). One of my new daily duties is watering them...with paper cups (that's gonna take too long and not be enough water). I need to find a watering can.

More SCO Stupidity
    We have a mobile app that does the same thing as the "S-it" guns. Generally it works okay, except when it's time to check out. For whatever reason, the "End Order" barcode is not recognized by any type of smartphone. In that case, the only thing we can do is have the customer enter their card number into the S-it kiosk, which then loads the order on a gun which works normally. Of course, it's the cashier's fault that the app doesn't work, cue the cry of "I should get my order for free!" (although I bet if we started doing that it would be fixed)

If YOU were paying attention you would see that they paid
    This is more MiM. A customer flags me over to one of the SCOs because apparently the previous order hadn't cleared. This can happen when a customers pays and does everything on the pinpad but doesn't let the SCO know how they pay. In this case, they paid cash, but were 2 cents "short"; said 2 cents had been rejected for whatever reason and were in the change tray.

I could see what happened, but FEM grabs my card, tells me to pay attention better, and voids the transaction (causing the machine to return the money and FEM to look momentarily confused before he flies off somewhere else). Luckily I have the receipt, so know exactly what they bought. The next customer actually offers to fetch another of that item so I can ring it through (and tells me to go ahead and process that one). I do so, tell FEM what happened and get "oh".

Fix the goddamn DOOR!
    Our exit door sensor has been broken for well over a month. Since it had to be pulled open and shut by hand (and the mechanism wasn't designed to endure that on a regular basis) it is now stuck wide open. Night Crew is able to close it, but it now takes two people--one on each door--if it's all the way open. Almost everyone on the front end is more than a bit annoyed about it (especially at night). FEM now doesn't care if SM says anything about jackets or hoodies 'not being part of the uniform', it's too cold.

Untitled
    My town recently passed a total ban on 'single-use' plastic bags. It doesn't actually go into effect until next December, but I have a suspicion SM is going to try for an exemption; Corp would need to special-order paper bags with handles for just this store which they probably don't want to do (also, the paper bags are not weatherproof and really not suitable for any transportation other than a car). Of course the town's reply about this was 'well, maybe this will encourage people to use eco-bags'...YOU DON'T GET IT) We also recently stopped offering the 5-cent credit for bringing bags--cashiers can't do it, but as far as I know you can still get it through the self-scans (hope Corp doesn't find out about this). Instead, customers will get a coupon for a free reusable bag.

I'm already seeing the suck on that. Not so much the bag ban (although I dread what will happen in a year when the hammer drops), but the demise of the bag credit. Sure, management has posted signs at each register that the customer can read, but I wasn't actually told until MOD saw me use the bag-credit button and bitched about it (and the SC threw a fit--hey, complain to Corp, not me, I'm just a cashier). The credit was a main reason so many people did bring bags.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Lets use a little something that SCs NEVER use, its called common sense. If you want frozen cranberries, why dont you just freeze them yourself???
    "Employees can make or break any business, so treat them with respect. Job satisfaction has little to do with money. Discover what it has to do with and make sure they get it."

Comment

Or, if you're just going to thaw them anyway, buy FRESH! ...that's right, it would deprive the SC of the warm fuzzies from telling a peon that they're wrong. I just wish I could have heard exactly what the shouting match was...I know that D can be territorial and has a VERY short fuse when it comes to customers being where they shouldn't.

Comment

Aquaglobes might help with the plant watering.

Comment

I was thinking that, but cashiers/baggers would need to remember to remove the globes from trees that sell; I don't know if we even carry them.

Comment

Quoth Sandiercy View Post
            Lets use a little something that SCs NEVER use, its called common sense.
            I now refer to this quality as "practical sense", because it is no longer common.

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
              I now refer to this quality as "practical sense", because it is no longer common.
              As my signature used to note, Common sense is so rare, it now qualifies as a superpower.

Surprisingly, Deadpool, of all people, has it. Which, if you know Deadpool, is mind-boggling.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

No, these are not fake trees
                Watering a dead tree only gives you a wet soil underneath a dead tree. and dried out christmas trees = fire hazard.

watering them once they're already dried out won't fix that either cos the dead tree still can't suck water up into the branches.

Comment

The dead tree has now vanished, and the rest are alive and well (someone actually soaked the trees yesterday morning, which I was going to do if bakeshop manager would let me use the wash sink long enough...maybe she did it).

Comment

Working...
                  X