X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 Things You're Doing Wrong

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/22-thi...re-doing-wrong

List of solutions for many common issues....some of which you may not even know were problems!

I like some of the things on this list, but some I don't like for various reasons.

1. Seems excessive, especially when just breaking a couple strips of bacon in half and laying them neatly in the sandwich will give you the same result.

2. Never actually have had a boiled egg, but I'll have to keep this trick in mind.

3. Clever.

4. Not relevent to me so I can't comment on it.

5. Ditto.

6. As a master cookie chef, this one offends me. No way the car would get hot enough to properly bake the cookies, it's far too slow, and there'd be no way to get consistent results.

7. Looks good, but the pictures are too small to really get a sense of what she's doing.

8. Looks like it might work, assuming you clean the blender immediately and don't let anything get dried out and stuck on.

9. Now THAT is clever and definitely worth a shot.

10. Looks OK to contain drips, but I doubt a cupcake liner would hold up if a chunk of that popsicle broke off and fell into it.

11. Too many variables for any one method of storing clothes in a dresser to be the "best" way.

12. Has this person not heard of a juicer? That would be far superior and neater to both hand squeezing and using tongs.

13. As with #7, the pictures are too small for me to tell exactly what's going on.

14. How is boiling a potato for an unspecified amount of time, then dropping in cold water for 5 minutes faster than just using the vegetable peeler? "Speed peel" my ass!

15. Seems clever, though since I mostly wear sneakers it's not an issue for me.

16. The real problem here is that if this person has jelly oozing out of the PBJ, then they put way the hell too much jelly on their sandwich.

17. Seems like a marginal improvement at best.

18. Clever

19. Clever, but this trick has been around for ages. I know it, and I've never eaten a pomegranate in my life.

20. Actually, I think that rim in the cover is to hold the thing closed. dispensing Tic tacs that way seems a bit too persnickety to me. Besides, who doens't know how to shake out just one?

21. Same problem as with #7 and #13.

22. USeless solution to a non-issue. How about just not smashing cans on your head?
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I REALLY could have used #14 for thanksgiving when I made 10lbs of mashed potatoes....
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

How OCD am I that most of these thing are the way I already do them? It makes me crazy when people fold fitted sheets the "wrong" way and that is the only way I've ever known to put in bobby pins for example.
      Some of the others are just silly IMO - the best part of eating a cupcake is getting frosting on the tip of your nose!
      Also, if I didn't know how to crush a beer can on my head "properly" I would have been kicked out of the 509 long before I graduated HS.

Comment

I ... wait i have no baking soda. but next time i go grocery shopping i was planning to add that to the list anyway.

another tip on how to do good eggs:
        cover the eggs with cold wter. add some salt - this will help make them cook faster & if they crack too soon it'll make the egg whites congeal a little. After it reaches a full boil, wait a couple of minutes and then turn the heat off. tap the eggs with a fork or knife to crack the shell a little.

at this point the whites are cooked but the yolks may still be soft. they'll continue to cook as the boiling water cools. the cracked shells will let water in and should be easier to peel.

and for some of the others:

blender: i prefer taking it apart and using the dishwasher (except for the o-ring which gets hand-washed)
        stale chips: you have leftovers?
        peeling a potato: I don't. The skins are good for you.
        beer cans: I don't drink canned beer. (unless it's one of those UK imports) Kinda hard to crush a bottle against your head.

the shoe one is cool though. except that i don't buy shoes that don't fit well in the first place. - in fact the best thing to do with shoes is to shoe shop at the end of the day when your feet are tired and sensitive, and more apt to be a little swollen. you'll be more likely to get a pair that fits better
        Last edited by PepperElf; 12-14-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          I REALLY could have used #14 for thanksgiving when I made 10lbs of mashed potatoes....
          I just clicked on the source link for #14 on the Buzzfeed article. Buzzfeed copied the tip over wrong. YOu don't put the potato in cold water for 5 MINUTES but rather 5 SECONDS.

THAT does indeed make a difference.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Another thing that works for me on eggs is to use eggs that are at least a week old - they peel much more easily (it has something to do with the membrane I was told).

Comment

I gotta try the egg thing next time I want egg salad. I've always added a little salt to the water but never tried baking soda.

The cupcake thing is kinda awesome.

I have never had that problem with PBJ. Put a layer of PB on each slice, and put not-too-much jelly in the middle and it won't soak through the bread if you're not eating it right away. (But then I don't eat PB anymore so it's not an issue.)

I've gotten better at folding fitted sheets, but I've never been able to get them to look just like the flat sheet when folded. Somehow my mother can do this and I think I just will never manage it.

I've tried the banana thing and it didn't work very well. Trying to open from the bottom just left me with a good inch of mushed banana.

And orange tic tacs are meant to be drunk straight from the container.
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-15-2012, 11:59 PM. Reason: what spelling error?
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                1. Seems excessive, especially when just breaking a couple strips of bacon in half and
                3. Clever.
                7. Looks good, but the pictures are too small to really get a sense of what she's doing.
                8. Looks like it might work, assuming you clean the blender immediately and don't let anything get dried out and stuck on.
                12. Has this person not heard of a juicer? That would be far superior and neater to
                14. How is boiling a potato ... "Speed peel" my ass!
                15. Seems clever, though since I mostly wear sneakers it's not an issue for me.
                17. Seems like a marginal improvement at best.
                18. Clever
                19. Clever, but this trick has been around for ages. I know it, and I've never eaten a pomegranate in my life.
                22. USeless solution to a non-issue. How about just not smashing cans on your head?
                1. OR you can just keep laying in whole strips until every inch is covered.
                3. I'm gonna try this just for the fun of it.
                7. We fold our fitted sheets. Storage in that closet is at a premium, they HAVE to be neat.
                8. A couple of ice cubes and salt do the trick if stuff is dried on.
                12. I'll stick to my hand unless a.) Too many cuts. or b.) Doing a LOT of the fruit. Who doesn't like lemony smelling hands?
                14. I can only think of two recipes where I don't use skin and all anyway.
                15. I pound new dress shoes with my rubber mallet. Works a treat.
                17. I like this one 'cause that's apparently the way monkeys do it? Why did we switch?
                18. Will definitely try.
                19. Concur. Gotta love the piccy though.
                22. I compact my cans the second way already.

Comment

I actually prefer folding the fitted sheets at the motel rather than the flat sheets. I find them easier to manage for some reason.

If you can't tell from the pics, basically the aim is to get all the corners together. From there, you should be able to lay it out flat and fold.

Another sheet tip: At the motel, we will take the folded fitted sheet and a set of pillowcases and tuck it all up inside the flat sheet so that it's one neat bundle that you can just grab and have everything you need to make a bed with. At home, it's also a great way to keep your sheet sets together.
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                    Some of the others are just silly IMO - the best part of eating a cupcake is getting frosting on the tip of your nose!
                    I hate that, it feels gross. But I always have to wipe off and toss out at least half the icing cupcakes come with before even taking a bite - its way too much and I feel sick if I eat it all. Making it into a sandwich is downright brilliant.
                    Last edited by shopgirl15; 12-16-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

The smashing the beer can reminds me of when I was younger and aluminum cans where just coming out.

In front of your drunken friends:
                      Take an empty aluminum beer can, hold it sideways and lightly smash the side of the can against your forehead.
                      Turn the can 180 degrees (dented side away) and bite the side of the can. The can is now dented into a triangle.
                      Grab the top and bottom of the can in each hand and twist each end in opposite directions
                      Push on each end of the can, causing it to collapse
                      Now, hand one of your drunken buddies a steel can.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                        Now, hand one of your drunken buddies a steel can.
                        That would have been hilarious to see.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Am I the only person who smashes cans by stepping on them? Seriously, not hard...
                          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                          X