Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The intermediate shaft will have some inertia of it's own, so unless the bearings or lube are bad you would still be able to pick it up on one stick and then match it on the other. In any case going through double-neutral briefly would not be a problem.

Failing that, there *is* a clutch - so you can let the input shaft stop, and pick it up that way.

Comment

Those diagrams of the "gears" confused me.

Comment

I glossed over them myself. Or more accurately, my brain made me skim forward on threat if it glossing over and calling it a night.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
          Just noticed the replies to this. Thanks for posting them.

I was watching some more shifting videos, and I found an interesting one: it was an old Mack truck with a 15 speed, with two shift levers.
          The old twin sticks - never used them. The "preselector" range selector is a BIG improvement. Still, some people customize their trucks to have fake twin sticks. Basically, they mount a dual air valve near the shift lever with a second lever to trigger it, route the range selector and splitter controls to it (forward/backward does one, left/right does the other), replace the "fits your hand" grip with a simple ball, and put a second ball on the new lever.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            The intermediate shaft will have some inertia of it's own, so unless the bearings or lube are bad you would still be able to pick it up on one stick and then match it on the other. In any case going through double-neutral briefly would not be a problem.

Failing that, there *is* a clutch - so you can let the input shaft stop, and pick it up that way.
            It looked in the video I posted above that he did in fact get "double nothin'" briefly (about 1:20 in) , and hit the clutch to get out of it.

Quoth wolfie View Post
            some people customize their trucks to have fake twin sticks. Basically, they mount a dual air valve near the shift lever with a second lever to trigger it, route the range selector and splitter controls to it (forward/backward does one, left/right does the other), replace the "fits your hand" grip with a simple ball, and put a second ball on the new lever.
            Here's an even better one; he's got THREE sticks. Apparently replaced both switches with a lever of its own, rather than one with two axes. I'm pretty sure that truck didn't come out of the factory like that.

Comment

Working...
            X