This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of the customer

As I like to do when I have spare money, I go to McDonalds, buy a dollar drink, and sit there for a few hours. This allows me to get free refills, get out and talk to people and, occasionally, make money by telling fortunes.

But at my last trip to McDonalds, a few days ago, I decided to leave because it was getting too dark and too late. I began to walk home.

I'd seen the cards to a game that I love playing at a drug store, big chain drug store, that's between where I live and McDonalds, "Magic, the Gathering," to be precise.

And just felt drawn to the drug store. So I went in, and looked at the game cards. There were only two boxes, one that wouldn't interest me at all (it was all about death) and one that was about angels fighting back against evil and darkness. It was also newer by a few months. But while the deck of cards I didn't want had a price, the deck I wanted did not.

I let it be, looked around the store a bit, you know, comparison shopping to see if they had any good grocery sales or whatnot.

But, feeling dissatisfied, just on a whim, I found an employee and asked him how much the box of cards I wanted was. He told me he thought it was 9.99, but asked me if I knew. I told him that it would probably be 15.00, because that's the average and that's what the price of the box I didn't want was. He scanned it, and it was fifteen. But he offered me a twenty percent discount. I was really tempted, but it would've left me only two and a fraction dollars. I couldn't justify it.
    So I had to let it go and left the shop.

But I mulled it over, and returned to the shop.

I still couldn't decide, so I used tarot cards for advice. Then another employee who'd seen me leave before talked to me, asking if I needed help with something. I told him, "Maybe I'd better explain."

So I told him about the cards I wanted and the other guy's discount offer, but still couldn't quite make up my mind as I didn't quite have enough money.
    The employee asked me to lead him to the cards, and he told me he'd sell them to me for 10 dollars and tax.

That never happens. Certainly not with a deck of cards for legal standard. (That means the most recent three sets of cards, which are the only ones allowed in standard tournaments.) So I accepted it. though I did ask him if he was sure and if he wouldn't get in trouble or anything.

He simply said something about "Taking care of the customer."
    I replied, "Well, I was considering them as a Christmas present to myself."
    He said "There you go."
    I just couldn't believe it.
    I didn't have enough money to buy the deck at normal price, with tax included, and shouldn't have bought it at the initial offer, so they cut five dollars off the price. That simply never happens, but at least I could afford it. Thank you, Don from Rite-Aid. (And the other person as well, unfortunately, I cannot recall his name.)
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.
Working...
X