This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't tell if troll...

Or just really, really stupid. I'm hoping for troll. Seriously.

http://i.imgur.com/ZCCeb.jpg
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Could be either. Back when "The Two Towers" came out there was actually a group that protested the movie... trying to claim that they were taking advantage of the 9/11 attacks ("The twin towers") to sell movie tickets.

and they were serious!

Comment

Troll, he's done that before on the other movies.

Comment

i can only wonder how soon before they delete it.

I know they delete posts... but not how often, or if they delete obvious trolls.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          Could be either. Back when "The Two Towers" came out there was actually a group that protested the movie... trying to claim that they were taking advantage of the 9/11 attacks ("The twin towers") to sell movie tickets.
          I remember that! I was quite alarmed by the amount of people that actually agreed with it as well!
          Last edited by Ree; 12-21-2012, 03:33 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote

Comment

i can only wonder how soon before they delete it.

I know they delete posts... but not how often, or if they delete obvious trolls.
            Already gone

Comment

and they were serious!

Just checked my copy of "The Two Towers" - copyright date 1965, and the list of print dates ends in 1968. [sarcasm]Clearly a ripoff of Harry Potter AND trying to take advantage of the 9/11 attacks to sell books [/sarcasm]. Tolkein pretty much defined the image of dwarves and elves (fairy tales had them basically the same). I wouldn't be surprised if someone rants about that British guy Shakespeare ripping off the plot of West Side Story to use in his play Romeo and Juliet.

One thing I'm surprised at regarding the "connection" between TTT and 9/11 - at the time of the attacks, it was already known that LOTR would be released as movies (and I believe Fellowship of the Ring had already been released). Al Quaida could have made a bigger impression if they'd waited until The Two Towers hit the big screen (with all the lead-in of ads touting "The Two Towers - coming yy/mm/dd", and chosen to make their attacks on that date.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

and they were serious!

There was even an on-line petition to get the name of the movie and book changed (I remember posting on the petition site about how foolish this idea was as the books were written many decades prior 1954 to be exact).

The Hobbit stealing from Harry Potter???? I really wonder how old this person is??? Like 12 maybe. Add in the fact that the first LOTRs movie was released at the same time the first HP movie was released ie. Thanksgiving/Xmas 2001 (My daughter saw the HP movie and we both saw the LOTRs movie)
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  Troll, he's done that before on the other movies.
                  Yup, stuff like this happens all the time. Comic books are a favorite target because the die-hards get easily offended when someone makes a mistake that outright fabrications almost make their heads explode.

Don't believe me? Go to a Marvel forum and start saying that particular DC characters are better or vice versa. Assuming you don't get banned and the thread gets deleted immediately, the flame war that will erupt will be immense.

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, MMORPGS, etc are all easy targets as well.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I hope that was a troll. The Hobbit was first published in 1937, LOTR in 1954.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It is most likely a troll. But bear in mind there are genuinely stupid people who assume that the movies always came first, there's no such thing as books (or at least classic literature), and probably do believe this kind of thing.

It reminds me of this classic Penny Arcade strip.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X