This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminally Mellow and Blind

This morning went early out with Mom to grab the last pre-holiday ingredients and some meds. After it all I was a bit hungry, so decided to hit a drive-through to grab something to go. The first place we hit didn't have a breakfast menu at that franchise location, so it turned out there was only one place in that area that did. As soon as I pulled in I realized it was a mistake -- the parking lot was utterly full, and after we pulled in there wasn't enough space for anyone else to pull in until the drive-through line advanced. Breakfast wasn't worth the mess this looked to be (the place is normally really quiet), but I couldn't get arround the line to just leave, and couldn't pull out safely.

Oh well, we were stuck for a bit. As we waited, an older man stepped out of the place and walked between Mom's car and the one ahead to get to his car, right on our other side. A minute later, there was motion out of the corner of my eye, and a sudden wham as he tried to back out onto us. Then a pause as he rocked forward again, and then a smaller collision as he tried to see if the thing behind him was still there. After that he pulled forward so we could all get out without worrying, and look at things. Luckily, no damage on our end -- he seemed to hit the back wheel/the solid metal hubs there. On his end I didn't see anything, but honestly wasn't looking too hard.

Throughout it he had the attitude of utter mellowness. Despite having to walk around us to get to his car, he just commented that he "didn't see us there". No actual apology, just a lightly befuddled attitude. As far as we could tell, the double tap was because he didn't realize that the reason his car stopped was that he *HIT* us, and so was just trying again to get out of whatever pothole or whatever stopped him.

Without damage, no cops or insurance were called. Mom's car, her call there. And he didn't seem to care about anything either, so whatever. In the meantime the line did clear enough for us to get around the drive-through line and just get the heck out of dodge before something else happened.

If he didn't see you, that's because he wasn't looking. Where I'm from, that would be Driving Without Due Care & Attention - ie. a menace on the road.

Comment

I'd have it checked out. Just because it looks fine doesn't mean there isn't $1400 worth of damage lurking underneath.

Comment

Many years ago I was driving to school in the winter and when I made a turn I hit a patch of very slick black ice. I had only been going about 10-15 MPH but the car just started this slow spin that ended when the drivers side wheels tapped the curb. No damage, no other cars involved so I counted myself lucky and forgot all about it.

Que to the following summer when the car all of a sudden just drops to the ground. I thought I had blown a tire except when I got out I couldn't find my drivers side rear tire. The entire tire, rim and still attached drive axle had slid off the car and wound up about 50 yards down a side street.

It turns out that little tap had bent the rim; not enough to be seen or felt when driving but enough so that after six months of unnoticeable vibration the drive axle had snapped off from the rear gear box. I spent almost $2000 for a used rear drive shaft/gear box and axle which I put on the car myself.

If your mother has not already done so she needs to get to a tire place ASAP and have the rim tested. They can tell if it has been bent and it could save her a lot of money and frustration sometime in the next year.
        You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Working...
        X