This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupon Question

I have a question for our grocery retail folks. Maybe you can explain how this works to me, because I'm tired from working all day and couldn't quite wrap my head around it.

I stopped by the Food de Leone in my neighborhood on the way home to pick up a few things to make dinner after getting off of work. There was a paper taped to the checkout area that basically said:

$5 off on $5 purchase typo: coupons printed with a typographical error expiration date of 12/29/13 should have been 12/29/12. We will honor these coupons until 1/1/13, after which they will no longer be accepted.
    Now the part about the typo made plenty of sense. The coupons, when printed, were printed with the wrong expiration date and the store doesn't want to honor them after the first of the year. Makes sense. I'm betting there was some serious suck yesterday when customers tried to use these coupons.

But that's not the part I couldn't get my head around. It was the $5 off on $5 purchase.

Doesn't that essentially mean free? It didn't say $5 or more, though I'm sure that's probably what it was supposed to mean. Does it mean a customer could essentially get a $5 item for nothing, and buy nothing else?

There was a line forming, so I didn't have time to read the paper in detail, though I did notice somethings, like alcohol and tobacco, were exempted.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Yes, Sapphire Silk, you can essentially get $5 of product free. I just used this same coupon myself along with another that came in my email with the $5 off of $5. If you shop just right, you can find an item or items that total $5 and you pay nothing. However, in my case, I had $22 and with both coupons, paid $16 + change.

Comment

That's exactly it. I've used those kinds of coupons in the past. They're quite handy. For me, they're usually for stores that I rarely frequent so at least it gets me in there and looking at their products.

Comment

I've seen similar coupons before, which have always been tied to another promotion. My local Bon Ton will have a $10 off $10 coupon during Black Friday, which is only valid for select departments and only for FULL PRICED items. One year I managed to find socks and paid 60 cents, but I don't think I've ever used the coupon any other year. Mostly because the store has virtually everything on sale already, except high-priced cookware and bedding, which I didn't want anyway.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I think its for clarity since I know a lot of coupons are issued for say $5 off when you spend $30. So saying $5 off $5 clears the question up of "how much do I need to spend again?"
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

It also means you can't use it on a purchase that's less than $5. Can you imagine the whining from SCs "I gave you a $5 off coupon, and my purchase was only $3. That means you owe me $2!1!eleventy!!1"
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I guess I just can't figure how a store can make a profit with a promotion like that.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                I guess I just can't figure how a store can make a profit with a promotion like that.
                They weigh the risks and hope for the best, lol. They know some will only buy enough for the $5 while others will spend well above the $5 minimum. They're trying to get repeat customers and they will make their profit off of them in the long run.

I know I always end up buying more than the $5 unless it's a store that I really have no need for (which is rare, TBH, hehe).

Comment

Kohl's routinely sends out what amounts to a $10 gift card.

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                  Yes, Sapphire Silk, you can essentially get $5 of product free. I just used this same coupon myself along with another that came in my email with the $5 off of $5. If you shop just right, you can find an item or items that total $5 and you pay nothing. However, in my case, I had $22 and with both coupons, paid $16 + change.
                  If it was $22 and you used 2 of the $5 coupons, wouldn't that have brought it down to $12 + change? Unless you got insane sales tax there?

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  Quoth Slayer View Post
                  They weigh the risks and hope for the best, lol. They know some will only buy enough for the $5 while others will spend well above the $5 minimum. They're trying to get repeat customers and they will make their profit off of them in the long run.

I know I always end up buying more than the $5 unless it's a store that I really have no need for (which is rare, TBH, hehe).
                  That's exactly it. And gets people in that might not normally shop there.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    If it was $22 and you used 2 of the $5 coupons, wouldn't that have brought it down to $12 + change? Unless you got insane sales tax there?

No, I only used 1 of the $5 off coupons, but combined it with a $.50 off of the cream cheese. I had what amounted to $5.50 in coupons. I went back and re-read my original response and it wasn't real clear as to what I had done. Sorry for the the confusion.

BTW, KY sales tax is only 6%, but it's ZERO on groceries!

Comment

No, I only used 1 of the $5 off coupons, but combined it with a $.50 off of the cream cheese. I had what amounted to $5.50 in coupons. I went back and re-read my original response and it wasn't real clear as to what I had done. Sorry for the the confusion.

yep! It's why the grocery stores along the border to TN get so much business.

Comment

We have no sales tax on groceries here either, but our sales tax is a whopping 15%!
                        my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                        it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Working...
                        X