This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some fun I had with a chiseler.

I work in used books. It is customary pencil the price on the book so the customer can erase it. For some reason people think this means that it is just a suggestion.

One fine day A customer brings a book to the counter. It is marked U$30.00. He says that he doesn't think it is worth that much. OK, that is is the range where it is reasonable to make sure we haven't made a mistake or the market for that book has moved, so I look it up. It turns out it should be U$40.00. I tell him as much but we will honor the price written down. I guess he thought it was some kind of negotiating tactic and left without the book. I then remarked it at U$40.00 and returned it to the shelf.

Later that day. I'm off to the side eating dinner and the boss is manning the counter and he comes back and brings the book to the counter, as I look on with evil anticipation. The boss rings it up and tells asks for U$43.10 (sales tax y'know). Naturally SC pitches a fit. He says the other guy was going to sell it for U$30.00. Being the only candidate for the "other guy" the boss asks me if it was true and I tell him: "he thought it was too high at 30 so I looked it up, it turns out it should be 40 but I told him we would honor the price written. He left, I repriced and replaced the book." .

Now, the boss hates chiselers more than me. So he told the guy that it was now U$40.00. SC storms out making antisemitic comments, which is funny because the boss and me are both atheists with christian family histories. The boss then marked the book at U$45.00 in case the guy came back, sadly he didn't and we had to put it back at U$40.00 at which it sold a few months later.
    Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Hubby gets this in car rentals a lot too. You rang yesterday and were quoted $20/day less than I just told you? Yeah well, we rented some cars. Demand increased. It's now more expensive.*

* Note: quotes given are honoured if a booking is made. If you ask for a price and don't book, it's just an indication of what it costs *right now*.

Comment

One of our customers got this brillant idea to take the small green 75% off stickers off some of the cosmetics that were on clearacne and putting them on the item that they wanted. Now this person was a little smarter than the average idiot that tries this, she put them on ALL the items she wanted that were on the shelf instead of just the one she put in her cart, so when it doesnt ring up at 75% she can say "Well all of the ones on the shelf have the sticker."

There were 3 flaws in her plan:

1. The stickers we clearly taken off anther product and stuck on her's because they arent as sticky once they've been removed from whatever they wre attached to, so the ones she moved looked like they were about to fall off.

2. The items she stuck on were items we had been carring for only a couple of weeks. The packaging had NEW on written on all of them in big letters. The display they were on also said new. Why qould we be clearancing a brand new item.

3. Heres the good one. The supervisor who rang her out was the person who had put up all the clearacne stickers the day before, she remembered which itmes she put the stickers on, and still had the list of clearance items near the register.

The woman did not get the item at 75% off.
      "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Scammers just steam me! I don't appreciate them essentially raising the prices for those of us who are honest. I LOVE when they get their comeuppance.
        The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

There Is No Justification for This Behavior

Scammers just don't have a leg to stand on. There is NO argument against being responsible and paying for what you want. If you can't afford it, it's not meant to be yours.

There are notable special circumstances, mostly including extreme poverty, lack of future and availability of food, but that's not what this thread is about.
          "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
          -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth El Barto
            One of our customers got this brillant idea to take the small green 75% off stickers off some of the cosmetics that were on clearacne and putting them on the item that they wanted.
            When I worked in the Fabric dept at WalMart in 2001, there was a lady who would regularly come into my dept and peel the UPC sticker off of the single sheets of felt and she'd place them over the UPC sticker for the expensive sketch books and a bunch of other stuff. (a sheet of felt cost about 15 cents)

One day she came into my dept, took nearly the entire stack of felt and started "shopping". I followed her around for a bit (my dept was slow that night) and she was fairly brazen about it. She put the stickers on a couple of DVD's, some makeup, some children's toys (barbie dolls), and some clothing.

I watched her to see what checkout lane she went to. Luckily she went to a lane that a friend of mine was checking at. I called her up and described the woman. The lady was a person or two back in line. My friend got a CSM over and they started checking the woman out. When everything started ringing up as 15 cents the CSM just started laughing and then started to peel the UPC stickers from the felt off the items and started ringing up the items at their real price. The lady got pissed and started walking off. The greeters got her at the door and they found that she'd also been shoplifting. They called the cops and that was almost the last I saw of her.

A couple of weeks later she was back, with a stack of felt in her cart...and I just wanted to bang my head on my fabric cutting table repeatedly. That's when we got our department manager to let us put the felt squares at the end of our cutting table for awhile.

Comment

Quoth Erin
              A couple of weeks later she was back, with a stack of felt in her cart...and I just wanted to bang my head on my fabric cutting table repeatedly. That's when we got our department manager to let us put the felt squares at the end of our cutting table for awhile.
              Wow! I can't beleive she would come back to the same place and try that again. I had a customer come back to my checkstand all ticked off once because his club card savings didn't come off of some grapes he bought. I looked over his receipt and figured it out. No discount came off because they were never rung up. (who knows how that happened) So he comes back to bitch and ends up having to pay more anyways. So much for that!
              WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

I used to like the regular price stickers in Game, they were Purple and while really easy to peel off it was really hard to do without getting the white 'crease lines' on them.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I'm always amazed by the stupid things certain people try to get away with...
                  Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

Working...
                  X