This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was I rude?

I had just finished my break (which I was late getting to due to ridiculous line at the registers) and was heading back to the register to relieve my relief who was due to clock out. A customer called me aside, and asked me how wide her fabric was. I showed her the label where it was written and said, "It says sixty inches wide. All of our fabric bolts have labels with the width and other information written on them." She didn't seem to have any more questions, so I went to the register.

About fifteen minutes later, she's ready to ring out. I call her up and ring up her total, but before she pays me, she tells me how very rude I was, how she was brand new at sewing and only buying the fabric for a friend, how not everybody knew everything about fabric and I was very rude.

Look, I know that not everybody knows fabric. That's why I showed her the label. When I'm trying something new, I always read the label on the package, that's what it's there for. What more should I have done, or what should I have done differently?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Unless you gave her that "OMG, how can you be that stupid and survive?" face and/or tone of voice, then no, you were not rude.

Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Honestly, the only way I could see that as rude is depending on if you rolled your eyes (doubtful) and your tone (which even if friendly, those looking for things to complain about would pick up sarcasm and the like in).

Comment

Meh, she probably wanted you to hold her hand and walk her through every single type of fabric you carry. How DARE you make her think for herself! You probably couldn't win on that one; if you gave too much information, she'd probably complain that you treated her like an idiot.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Can't hear the tone used obviously but even if it was done in a "didn't you look??" tone that wouldn't have caused me to complain personally. I would have actually thanked you for the information and just moved on.

Not rude IMO.
          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Going on just how you phrased your answer she may have been put off by the way you didn't coddle to her ignorance. I've had several times where someone's complained about me because I gave them accurate and helpful information but didn't add a 'Oh it's easy' or 'You just have to do this...'

Comment

So using that line for my sig, EE.

Hope you don't mind. It's brilliant!
              Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Just lining up to back up what's already been said ... unless your tone of voice and/or facial expression indicated you thought she was reaaallllly stoooopid, you did nothing wrong. If it were me I'd be happy to know where to look in future for the information I need.

Comment

No, you weren't rude. She just felt dumb for not noticing the label, so in her mind you "made her feel stupid" by pointing it out. People like this would rather you just answer only the question they asked. Don't volunteer any further info. That way she can keep on feeling that she's really smart and the store is stupid for not making the information more obvious.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                    So using that line for my sig, EE.

Hope you don't mind. It's brilliant!
                    Woo-hoo! I haven't had anyone quote me in a loooong time. Yay!
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
                    X