This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeslots = trouble

I still rue the day that I introduced my mother to Freeslots - a free, online gambling site where you play just for fun, not money.

Now, my mother is a nurse, and before you can judge her, no, I'm not talking about her. I'm talking about one of her colleagues.

This colleague, which I'll call J, would not do anything above what she is forced to do. So every time she saw my mother bust her butt, she'd sit and do nothing.

Well, here is where Freeslots comes into play. The hospital has computers that nurses use to input important patient info. My mother was so excited about the site that she introduced it to her colleagues. Within a week or so, J became a frequent player. On those computers.

Now, how are you supposed to record when so-and-so had an IV when someone like J is busy playing Freeslots on the computer? This incensed the head nurse so much that she banned them from playing on the computer!

Does that stop J? No. Last time my mother checked, she still played, just not when the head nurse was around!
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Have the IT person check the history and send it to the head nurse ?

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
      Have the IT person check the history and send it to the head nurse ?
      It probably won't matter. You usually need a login to access to patient data programs, but not anything else. We do use the Internet for legit reasons related to patient care. But that's not usually tracked.

What probably will happen is that, and any game site, will be blocked by IT. IT could also block some other non-work related sites that nurses use to unwind during their breaks, which will really piss the staff off.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still pissed that Facebook is blocked at work. Apparently there was a big problem with staff throughout the system spending too much time on it. Or so they said. I could understand if the floor or ER staff were shirking they're duties, but in my department I often end up with loooooooong stretches with nothing to do (5 hour wait on call, I'm looking at you) and I would like to be able to kill some time.

Sometimes that software blocks the weirdest things. Occasionally I'll try to go to an article from Yahoo or something and find it blocked. Yet I can get to TVTropes, which is the biggest time sink I've yet to find on the Internet.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Our internet blocks almost everything. Site that the ER paid a bazillion dollars to for us to access a review course? Blocked. Site that hosts our mandatory stroke competency? Blocked, because Flash is blocked. Site that provides Spanish language patient handouts? Blocked. Pinterest? Totally available.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            Yeah, I'm still pissed that Facebook is blocked at work. Apparently there was a big problem with staff throughout the system spending too much time on it.
            That's actually been a problem for me with my clinical students. I had to discipline more than one student for using social media on hospital computers during clinic time. They're allowed to use the computers to chart (required to actually) or do do research on meds or pathophys. But NO personal use, not even checking email is allowed on hospital equipment.

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
            Our internet blocks almost everything. Site that the ER paid a bazillion dollars to for us to access a review course? Blocked. Site that hosts our mandatory stroke competency? Blocked, because Flash is blocked. Site that provides Spanish language patient handouts? Blocked. Pinterest? Totally available.
            Yeah, it never seems to follow any rhyme or reason, does it?

The college put out an announcement a few years back that they were going to block You Tube because IT had noticed a lot of streaming by faculty members.

This produced an outcry from the faculty (including myself) who were actually using You Tube for legitimate educational purposes. There are some great nursing and medical videos there that I use to illustrate key concepts.

My favorite is what the students call the "chicken dance" (doesn't use that music), which we use to teach life threatening dysrhythmias. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvWzm7ICzhw
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I've even heard of nursing students using bedpans as bobsleds in the winter. I think that this was before social media was even invented. Heck, Freeslots was around before Facebook, and I'm pretty sure that many nurses were suspended or fired for posting lewd YouTube videos of them at work.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                I've even heard of nursing students using bedpans as bobsleds in the winter. I think that this was before social media was even invented. Heck, Freeslots was around before Facebook, and I'm pretty sure that many nurses were suspended or fired for posting lewd YouTube videos of them at work.
                They're kinda small for that, but I guess it could happen.

For the Skills Fair, I tell the students they have to draw their skill from a hat.

I actually use a bedpan. There's nothing subliminal in this, I swear!

Comment

My foreman when I worked final test on an echocardiogram machine (1977) had a bedpan on top of his file cabinet, memento of a long hospital stay. Light industrial factory, open layout with shoulder height partitions.

We filled it with lemon jello for one morning he was out at a management meeting.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    That's actually been a problem for me with my clinical students. I had to discipline more than one student for using social media on hospital computers during clinic time. They're allowed to use the computers to chart (required to actually) or do do research on meds or pathophys. But NO personal use, not even checking email is allowed on hospital equipment.
                    Uh, yeah. For students, pretty much anything personal on clinic time is a no-no. If they've got that much "free" time, they should be studying for the NCLEX. I hear it's...difficult. But for someone like me who often ends up with several hours with nothing to do (wait times in between images, long scan times, slow transporters...), what's wrong with a little Facebook time?

I know unfortunately it doesn't work that way. One bad apple and all. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                    One winter a couple of our ambulance guys went sledding down the back hill with cardboard. In view of several mid-level managements' offices. Never heard if they got disciplined or anything, though. I wish I could have gone sledding, lol.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      My foreman when I worked final test on an echocardiogram machine (1977) had a bedpan on top of his file cabinet, memento of a long hospital stay.

We filled it with lemon jello for one morning he was out at a management meeting.
                      What an awesome idea! I might just try to replicate that as a going away treat for the students when they do their NCLEX review after their final.

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      Uh, yeah. For students, pretty much anything personal on clinic time is a no-no. If they've got that much "free" time, they should be studying for the NCLEX. I hear it's...difficult. But for someone like me who often ends up with several hours with nothing to do (wait times in between images, long scan times, slow transporters...), what's wrong with a little Facebook time?

I know unfortunately it doesn't work that way. One bad apple and all. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
                      I know. It's a big problem. The NCLEX is a bitch, and the students who are slackers are the ones who have the most trouble with it. My students are supposed to be on the floor doing patient care. They're allowed to take a short break during the day, and get lunch of course, but if they're not working they have to be researching charts. I'll find things for them to do if they're not busy enough.

One student was imprudent enough to say some rather unflattering things about me on Facebook . . . during clinic. He though I wouldn't find out. He got narced out by another student (he was a total asshat, not well liked by his peers).

Imagine the shock on his face when I called him into the Chair's office, handed him a printout of what he wrote, and said to him, "Explain this, please."

Comment

We can be fired for going to non-approved websites even ones that are 'legitimate' like Ebay or Yahoo. It doesn't even have to do with 'off-color' websites.
                        ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                          My favorite is what the students call the "chicken dance" (doesn't use that music), which we use to teach life threatening dysrhythmias. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvWzm7ICzhw
                          BWAHAHAHA that's the funniest thing I've seen all day. Is there no sound to the video or was my phone playing up? Either way I understood what was going on, and it's a great way to show it.

Let's just hope his students/any students who watch this don't routinely say to a patient with that kind of heart problem "well basically your heart is/was doing this..." *dances madly*
                          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                            BWAHAHAHA that's the funniest thing I've seen all day. Is there no sound to the video or was my phone playing up? Either way I understood what was going on, and it's a great way to show it.

Let's just hope his students/any students who watch this don't routinely say to a patient with that kind of heart problem "well basically your heart is/was doing this..." *dances madly*
                            There's no sound to that version, which is the complete version. There's a bunch of them on You Tube actually with different sound tracks.

I realized I linked to the wrong one; my teaching partner used it in class last week and had one that did have a soundtrack, but the signs were in Spanish.

The last graduating class actually asked him to do one of the heart dances at pinning, to the "chicken dance" music. He did. It was a riot.

Comment

The 'censored' bit was competely hilarious.
                              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                              X