This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol station brain burp

OK, this wasn't so much sucky, more just plain stupid.

I went over to the petrol station (gas station) and filled up. Once I was done, I went over to the single sliding door. Now, like most sliding doors, they are pressure activated when you step on a certain point. This one is more sensitive than most, meaning that if you step too close the door won't open.

Well, some lady did just that. Then she saw the button located next to the door. The button? "Emergency Fuel Stop".

I think you can guess where this is going.....

Yep, she pushed the button once, thinking it would open the door. Then again. Then yet again. She pressed it about four or five times, then stepped back. Finally the door opened.

Once we were both inside, she paid, then just as she was leaving, one of the employees announced "I think someone hit the emergency fuel stop button."

The lady turned bright red and left. I quietly mentioned that it was the lady he'd just served to the guy behind the counter. He got a good chuckle out of it.

Luckily the fuel pumps were working once I left.

(Some petrol stations here DO have pre-pay pumps, not all of them do)
    Last edited by fireheart; 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

And that is why our emergency fuel stop button is behind our counter. Unfortunately, it's also at the perfect height for our knees to hit it. Luckily, we all know it, and make sure to avoid it. Still... Good example of "ooh a button it must do what I think it does even if it doesn't because I'm ignorant" there.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
      O....

Yep, she pushed the button once, thinking it would open the door. Then again. Then yet again. She pressed it about four or five times, then stepped back. Finally the door opened.
      Hmm, they need to install a system like the one in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Arthur Dent: I wonder what'll happen if I press this button.
      Ford Prefect: Don't.
      Arthur Dent: [presses it] Oh.
      Ford Prefect: What happened?
      Arthur Dent: A sign lit up saying "Please do not press this button again."

Then again we all know that SC's don't read signs.
      Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
        Hmm, they need to install a system like the one in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Arthur Dent: I wonder what'll happen if I press this button.
        Ford Prefect: Don't.
        Arthur Dent: [presses it] Oh.
        Ford Prefect: What happened?
        Arthur Dent: A sign lit up saying "Please do not press this button again."

Then again we all know that SC's don't read signs.
        *Old* prank gizmo (that would get you thrown in jail these days)

Box with a big button and two plastic panels, One of the panels is lit up and says "Press and Hold to activate"

If you do, the panel goes dark and the second one lights up:

"Release to Detonate"

Comment

Lol, that reminds me of the day when our door mechanism decided to die on us. There were several customers inside the store; while most decided to stand around and wait for us to do something, one woman got it into her head that she was trapped inside a cage with wild animals and beat her fists on the door. She was still doing so when I walked to the door and turned the key to manually open it; she fell thru and then glared at me as tho I'd pushed her.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            Now, like most sliding doors, they are pressure activated when you step on a certain point.
            I haven't seen this type of automatic door for a good fifteen to twenty years. And I'm 28! :P

Most ones I've seen tend to be motion sensors.

At least the woman was embarrassed, even if she didn't apologize.

Comment

Working...
            X