Clear All

• Just got a phonecall from work...

*I answer phone*

Me: Hello
    Work: Who is this?

... You rang me

... and I work for you!

wow...just wow.
    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Me: Someone who likes scary movies.

Comment

Devil's advocate--

If Work was calling a residential number, i.e. a family home, they may have wanted to be sure they were speaking to the right person.

Granted, they should have opened with "Hello, this is Work. Is Phantasmagoria there?"
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Me: Hello
          Me: You really don't know?
          Work: No.
          Me: Then f**k you. click

Yes, work sucked today. What gave it away?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Heh... I get this all the time.

I answer the phone like thus: Good <part of day>, <Company name>. This is aulocksmith, how can I help you?

I STILL get "who am I speaking to?"
            Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

I usually respond to those types of calls with something along the lines of, "Who were you trying to reach?"
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I wouldn't have been confused if it had been on my home phone. It was on my mobile, and the tone at the other end of the phone was the kind of bewildered 'who is this?' you might use when receiving a silent-bar-heavy-breathing phonecall at 2am, not when calling your own employee mid-afternoon!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  Granted, they should have opened with "Hello, this is Work. Is Phantasmagoria there?"
                  Yes, that's the polite way to open the call. Either that or "hello, may I speak to Phantasmagoria?" Demanding "who is this?" is rather poor phone manners.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The CW on the service desk did that to me ("who is this?") a few days ago when I called in to say I was going to be late; I didn't think much of it because a) I should have identified myself before saying "I'm gonna be a bit late" and b) from the sound of things on the other end it was a total zoo over there and she was overwhelmed.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I got a call like that once. Only it wasn't work. It was a guy who'd broken into his wife's phone log and was snooping to see who she was calling cos... he'd decided any time she spoke to a man it meant she was having sex with that man.

he was banking on the gut reaction to answer the truth to his intimidating tone of voice. and i fell for it.

these days though i've learned my lesson and don't answer. i ask who they're trying to reach instead or say "this is me" etc.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post

I answer the phone like thus: Good <part of day>, <Company name>. This is aulocksmith, how can I help you?

Me too! People listen about as well as they read signs, I swear! As for the OP, I do agree that "Who is this?" was a bit harsh, if not bordering on uncouth.
                        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post

maybe they thought you were a recording?

i use to get people who thought that about me...

Comment

Working...
                          X