This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wells Fargo Steps Up

So when I bought my home we were told the property was in a flood zone and we needed flood insurance at a massive cost (we were told we were basically in the "serious flood every ten years" type zone). We thought this was odd since we are 60 feet away from and 40 feet ABOVE the nearest waterway, and it's a creek. If our house floods, people better be building arks! But we were in a time crunch for the closing so we sucked it up and just pressed on.

Well, due to State Farm screwing up our flood insurance account (an epic fratching event), Wells Fargo forced lender-placed insurance on us. Still, I wasn't paying much attention because all of it is direct deposit and we were doing okay for money. Well, money got tight and I started looking into ways to trim expenses and I finally thought to challenge the flood zone ruling. I gathered my plot maps and FEMA's flood zone maps and found out that my house was NOT in a flood zone! Woo-hoo! That's $250 a month I could cut from the expenses!

So I call Wells Fargo. It takes some time to get to the right department, but the lady there takes one look at my account, calls up the FEMA maps, and verifies that my home is not in danger of a flood pretty much ever. No problem to cancel the insurance, but she asks me to hold for a few minutes while she checks on something. Uh oh, I'm thinking. What now? She comes back on the line a few times to ask me to keep holding while she gets a supervisor involved. I'm starting to really worry.

Finally she comes back on to explain that the problem was that the FEMA maps had taken my house out of the flood zone back in 2007. Since the bank had forced me to maintain flood insurance all that time, she felt I deserved a refund not just of the last month that I'd been working to get the insurance cancelled, but of all the insurance I had paid since 2007, and her supervisor agreed!!!

Wells Fargo made a mistake and is going to be eating the costs to the tune of almost $6,000.

It isn't often that you find a company that admits they made a mistake when the customer doesn't even know they made one, and then makes it right like this. I know for a fact that another bank I deal with would not have said a word about any culpability and would have let me go on my happy way content that I got a month's refund.

This money is going to come in handy right now, as hubby's graduate school bill will be due in March. Thank you, Wells Fargo employees, for doing what's right for the customer instead of protecting the company's bottom line.
    Last edited by EvilEmpryss; 01-19-2013, 01:32 AM. Reason: fixed typo on how much I'm getting back
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

As described in Heinlein's "Glory Road"... you must have gotten the Fairy Godmother Department. One elderly part-time GS9...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      As described in Heinlein's "Glory Road"... you must have gotten the Fairy Godmother Department. One elderly part-time GS9...
      So, are SCs from the Practical Joke Department then?
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

That is awesome!!! I too bank with stagecoach, and have always had pleasant interactions with their employees.

The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that I have to call them everytime I go out of town. Last time I did call and told them that both my DH and I would be in LV and to not lock up the cards, mine was ok, but they locked up DH"s. One phone call straightened it out----but GRRRRRR I had already called them.

On a side note---good for you to check whether you were in a flood plain. My college geology teacher said on the first day "If you take anything from this course, never buy a house in a flood plain" Great advice.
        What do you want for nothin'? R-r-r-r-r-r-rubber biscuit?": Blues Bros.

Comment

Wow,thats just wonderful

Comment

I'm... shocked. To put it lightly.

Comment

that is pretty damn boss!! im pretty damn shocked also. you rarely see something like that but that's awesome! now if they were really from the fairy godmother department they woulda been like "in addtion, we're also gonna give you interest that you could have accrued from that $6k as well so you'll get about $6.4k!! hehe"

Comment

There are good individuals in every company. My own experience with WF has been a terrible tale of miscommunication and incompetence. Gives me a tiny bit of faith back, knowing that the corporate giant actually lets people act in good conscience.
                You hold power over me and abuse it. I do not like it, and say so. Suddenly I am a problem.. FIND. A. MIRROR!

Comment

Wow. I'm floored.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That is going above and beyond. Kudos and cookies to those WF employees!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That's pretty sweet. When a company does screw up, they don't always like taking the blame. This is partly the reason why I do not like pre-paid phone companies

Comment

Working...
                      X