This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth patiokitty View Post
    Having had the dubious honor of having managed a Subway store I can tell you that it is done by size there. You start with a frozen bread stick that you have to let thaw - once it is fully thawed you have to stretch it the full length of the special pan it sits in and put it into the proofer for about an hour. If the bread doesn't fully fit the pan from end to end, then let it stay in the proofer until the bread does fit from end to end before baking it..
    OK, so what this tells me is that no one is getting cheated out of anything. You start with the same amount of dough in each stick regardless of whether it's stretched out to the full 12 inches or not.

Subway doesn't price its subs "per inch" - you either buy a whole sub or a half sub. The amount of filling is predetermined, and you pay extra for extra filling.

So that lawsuit is totally bogus.
    Last edited by Ree; 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM. Reason: Trimmed excessive quote.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      Subway doesn't price its subs "per inch" - you either buy a whole sub or a half sub. The amount of filling is predetermined, and you pay extra for extra filling.
      But they do. Here's its marketed as 12 or 6 inches. Kids meals tend to be 3 inches. As for filling, you only pay extra for meat and cheese; the rest are free extras.

Comment

On one hand, it probably isn't the greatest idea to advertise foot-long subs and have them turn out to be less than 11 inches long, and then suggest that foot-long isn't meant to be taken as a measurement.

OTOH, a person who whips out their ruler, tape measure, dong or other measuring implement to measure their Subway sammich is probably a person with way too much time on their hands.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I just frankly don't see how he, personally, was damaged by this--certainly not to the tune of $5 million. And you have to be personally damaged to win a suit of this kind. Otherwise any random person could sue over anything, whether they had actually encountered it and been hurt by it or not. If this was the law, I could sue the Chicago Police for brutality, even though I've never been to Chicago.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
            I just frankly don't see how he, personally, was damaged by this--certainly not to the tune of $5 million. And you have to be personally damaged to win a suit of this kind. Otherwise any random person could sue over anything, whether they had actually encountered it and been hurt by it or not. If this was the law, I could sue the Chicago Police for brutality, even though I've never been to Chicago.
            According to the linked article, the author figures if you buy a foot-long turkey sub for $6.75 every week, and get shorted an inch every time, you've been cheated out of $37.21 of food annually.

The plaintiff's demanding $5 million. That works out to him being cheated over a period of....134,372 and a half years.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

From what Patiokitty says, Subway corporate supplies frozen bread dough which IF PREPARED PROPERLY will result in loaves that are 12 inches long. If store employees don't follow the instructions (or if the store gets hit by an unexpected rush, so they have to bake not-yet-ready dough or run out of bread), then the loaves could wind up short.

In other words, it's not corporate (i.e. the people this guy is suing) who are responsible for loaves being less than 12 inches, but the individual store (which wouldn't HAVE $5 million). It's guys like this who give the other 3 lawyers a bad name.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Subway Trademarked Footlong as a description that people used years ago. I remember when there were disclaimers about how it could be above 12 inch or above you that you would still get the same amount of meat. It was around the time that Wawa started calling them shortie's and classics.

But to hell with those Trademarks, If you trademark something you MUST abide by it, even if you sometimes get a larger roll or if you get a smaller one.

Comment

Yeah, I was pretty much thinking that they still got the same amount of bread, all that they might have been shorted was a little bit on the greens, especially since Subway pre-measures most of their ingredients (ie: x number of slices or little tubs of meat, slices of cheese, and slices of tomato).

So every foot long should have the exact same amounts of the key ingredients, just smooshed a little closer together.

SC
                  "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                    I know a lot of customers really don't know that Subway has a formula how much meat or veggies go on a sub.
                    Oh that one I knew... the one I used to go to often (and for the record, I stopped going to Subway for no reason doing with this whole foot long = 11 inches debacle, and everything to do with the fact that I found a place that slices deli meat and cheese to order for their subs and has sourdough bread which I love) actually had little labels on each container for which sandwich it was (they already had premixed meats for each type of sandwich, so you ask for a foot long Italian, and they grab two trays from the Italian container).
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      I'm totally disgusted and what I think is fratching. But boy, did my facebook audience get an earful.
                      Mine too. That's why I am refraining from commenting here, but I may repost over there. LOL
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                        It's the same reason why people post such outrageous demands at PFB...

These days some customers feel that "I am angry" means "THE STORE OWES ME!!!!!" Cos... apparently somehow they learned that the universe owes them something whenever they get in a bad mood.

Now personally, considering patiokitty's posts, it sounds more like mistakes rather than intentionally shafting people.

I can see a mistake ending in millions of dollars of payouts for serious mistakes... like forgetting to install brakes on a car, or say... a mistake that made microwaves blow up, or computers catch on fire.

But a mistake that means your bread didn't rise long enough? Yeah that's not "injury". Cos ego / anger injuries aren't life-threatening... even IF some SCs carry on as if it's ruining their lives.

I know a lot of customers really don't know that Subway has a formula how much meat or veggies go on a sub
                        Not really surprised. my first job was slinging pizza pizza - we had posters on the wall detailing how much product to use, with color photos. and frankly the idea of NOT having a guideline would be bad business practice in my opinion - cos these "formulas" determine not just how much product to use, but how much to order etc. all part of being organized as a whole unit.
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 01-27-2013, 04:36 AM.

Comment

I can speak only for myself ^_^ As long as I get the same amount of meat & cheese, I'm not terribly bothered by the length of the loaf itself. Given that I usually get almost NO toppings at all, I'd actually prefer less bread/thicker "coverage" of the main ingredients by dint of having less space in which to spread them out.

To each his own.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                          X