This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Yoga is too hot!!

So because my entire family swears by it, I made a resolution this year to start doing yoga. Found a nice spot near my home that does a wide variety, but mentions in particular that many of its classes are done in heated rooms (ranging from 70 to 106 degrees) since heat helps you stretch and detox.

Today we had one woman in the class who apparently didn't quite get what that entailed. Roughly fifteen minutes after class started she asked if they could turn down the heat in the room because it was too stuffy for her, then when the class coordinator explained why that was she asked if someone could crack open a window.

Ten minutes later when we're all doing baby poses (least I think that's what it's called) we hear the creak of the window being winded open further. Keep in mind it's roughly 3 degrees outside so there's now a considerably chilly breeze blowing through the room.

When we get to mountain stances said woman takes the opportunity to nudge the window open further, then when the coordinator says that some others are looking a tad cold she finally throws her hands up and walks out of the room saying on the way out "Well sorry but when you said this was hot yoga I didn't think you meant it this literally."

Kaaayyy, granted it felt like they had it cranked to around 80 in there, but as their literature clearly states, that's the whole point! You gotta be warm in order to be able to comfortably stretch and flow, never mind the fact that most of us were wearing t-shirts and shorts so having the window open actually made it more unbearable to be in there with that biting cold snaking it's way through the room.

I'm all for people going to yoga. But this woman had no business ruining it for everyone else. Couldn't she do it in her own home, where she could keep it as cold as she pleased? Or go do yoga in the park?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Ah, sounds like you're doing Bikram Yoga.

The type that's done in the park or somewhere that's NOT heated is called either Hatha of I-something Yoga. Hatha is the most common from what I've heard.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

well i admit i wasn't sure what hot yoga was myself. my bf wants to try it i know...

i've done regular yoga and can understand that warmth will help stretch... but if i'll actually like the new trend, i'm not sure yet.

but eventually we'll try it when we have time i guess.

Comment

Working...
        X