Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went down to the local craft shop the other day for a look at some things and came across blackboard paint.

So apparently "black board" is now a misnomer. They had "chalkboard" paint in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and black.

If they still used chalkboards in classrooms, I would've actually bought a set of wooden placemats and the paint and done them up.

As it stands, I plan on getting some smaller whiteboards for my classroom. (the teacher I was with on my first prac used them to get her students engaged in a topic. It worked a treat and I plan on using it!)
    Last edited by fireheart; 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Semi off-topic: Why ARE all the chalkboards going away? Just seems odd to me.

Comment

$14 for a 4x8 sheet at home improvement warehouse.
        http://www.lowes.com/pd_16605-46498-300_0__

They will cut them down on their panel saw for you also if you want multiple small ones.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
          Semi off-topic: Why ARE all the chalkboards going away? Just seems odd to me.
          In schools? probably because chalk dust may trigger allergies or something, or it's just more of a pain to clean up. (I still remember getting Eraser duty back in school where we'd take all the erasers in a classroom, step outside and bang the crap out of them (often on the walls of the school) to shake out the dust.

Probably at the same time, the markup on dry erase markers and other dry erase board items is probably better for the corps than chalk and erasers.

It's also less dust in the classroom so it's not as hard on the computer equipment.

And a white backdrop like a whiteboard means you usually don't need an extra screen for projecting stuff onto, unlike a black or green chalkboard.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
            In schools? probably because chalk dust may trigger allergies or something, or it's just more of a pain to clean up. (I still remember getting Eraser duty back in school where we'd take all the erasers in a classroom, step outside and bang the crap out of them (often on the walls of the school) to shake out the dust.
            I actually had a teacher get what they called "White lung" from inhaling chalk dust for so many years. She had one of the first whiteboard-equipped rooms in the school system at the time. She was a great math teacher, and I was sad to hear she had died from cancer while I was in college.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

i mentioned this to my boyfriend - he liked the idea and suggested using grease pencils vs erasable markers.

also mentioned it to the derby team. they have a small whiteboard for scoring but... maybe a big one like was suggested here would be something they'd like

Comment

Working...
              X