X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy closes stores in Canada, doesn't bother to tell employees

http://consumerist.com/2013/01/31/be...-stores-today/

At some stores the employees arrived for work only to be confronted with locked doors and security guards.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

We had a similar scenario down here with a Mitre 10 (hardware store).

The employees rocked up to pretty much the same situation. Turns out that it was because the owner of the store/building owed someone around $300,000 in debt.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I know they're being showroomed to death and all, but that's pretty low.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That's inexcusable. I hope the customers (and former employers, when they find other jobs) who were caught without warning make it a point to shop elsewhere in future.

Comment

How awful. It's not hard to drop a simple announcement of some sort for the poor employees. Hope everything turns out okay for them...
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Best Buy compartmentalizes their organization, and has been known to drop parts of it. They did so here in El Paso, with the sub-company going bankrupt and leaving many employees and contractors stuck without being paid. A new sub-company then opened a new store a couple of miles away.

Comment

i find it odd that no one knew.

the original talks about "right sizing" came out back in april or may last year. IIRC it was about culling some stores but opening smaller mobile stores etc.

Comment

Obviously BB/FS has never heard about things like statutory minimum notice for layoffs.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  i find it odd that no one knew.
                  I suspect that salary-level people knew -- District/area managers? Absolutely yes. Store manger and AM? Yeah.

It could be that they just didn't tell the wage-workers, or worse, were INSTRUCTED not to tell them before a certain date. Not like they're gonna call a 15-hour-a-week worker at home to give them the good news x.x

My question is: What if the workers had items left in-store (in lockers) that they need to retrieve? What about customers' computers that were in for repair?
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Obviously BB/FS has never heard about things like statutory minimum notice for layoffs.
                    There is no such thing here in Canada. However, if reasonable notice is not given then the employer must provide pay and benefits in lieu of the notification. The definition of "reasonable" is a bit fuzzy... there are legal minimums, but courts award settlements in excess of the minimum to allow for the employees years of service, difficulty in finding another job, etc. As such most companies off a reasonable amount up front.

Now I am in a quandry about whether to buy stuff at BB/FS... I don't want to support them, but I don't want more of their employees let go.
                    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I know they're being showroomed to death and all, but that's pretty low.
                      Actually, we've gained some ground against Amazon since they started having to pay sales tax. But yeah, this was a jerk move. The US closures were given notice.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                      X