Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't you see this restroom is closed? (a little long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't you see this restroom is closed? (a little long)

In my first job as a retail slave, I was responsible for all the grunt work in the parking lot (collecting carts, picking up trash, trying not to get killed by idiot drivers in oversized vehicles, etc.). With that responsibility also came cleaning up any messes in the store, which included the restrooms. Our store had two sets of restrooms, one in the front of the store and one in the back.

We had one of those giant restroom cleaning carts that I liked to use, along with a "Restroom Closed" sign on it. But as you all very well know, SC's don't read signs, and both the cart and sign would inevitably be moved by someone barging into the restroom while it was closed. I got tired of hearing all the RAAAAAAAAGE! from customers when I politely informed them I was cleaning, and I started to use several of our grocery carts to block the door instead. These are your standard-size grocery carts, not those demon spawn with the two baskets on them.

This method was highly-effective until...

I notice loud crashing outside the door. I thought it was just someone from outside bringing carts in (this particular restroom was in one of our entryway lobbies), but...

*man barges in*

Me: Sir, I'm sorry, but this restroom is closed. You're free to use the restrooms in the back of the store. Just walk back into the store and keep going down the center aisle to the back of the store. The restrooms will be the last doors on the right.

Screaming Guy: (yelling...why do I always get the screamers?) NO WAY THIS RESTROOM IS CLOSED!

Me: I had about five carts turned over on their sides blocking off the door. Did you notice them?

SG: WHAT CARTS?

I walk with him out the door and point to the carts turned over on their sides blocking the door. Instead of forming a neat barricade as I'd made with them, they are now scattered about in the lobby with other customers struggling to get around them.

Me: Sir, these carts. I'm sorry, but this restroom is clo--

SG: LET ME SEE YOUR MANAGER!

It's at this point in his conversation that I know this guy doesn't have to go that bad. If he did, he would oblige like the rest of the customers and use the other restrooms. Instead, he wants to cause trouble. I let it play out and go get my manager.

Me: Sir? This is "Jim". He's my manager-on-duty today. He'll take care of you.

Manager Jim: What seems to be the problem today?

SG: (calms down a little, but still manages to use a snotty tone) This rude, insolent little bastard of a pest won't let me use the restroom! I demand compensation!

MJ: Well, Bob is just doing his job. If you'd like, we have another restroom in the back of the store. You see this aisle right here? *points to center aisle* Now, if you'll just walk back into the store and keep going down that center aisle to the back of the store, the restrooms will be the last doors on your right before you get to our back room.

SG: *RAAAAAAAAGE* YOU'RE ALL COMMUNISTS! I'M GOING TO HAVE ALL OF YOU FIRED! I'M CALLING CORPORATE! I'M CALLING MY PASTOR! I'M CALLING THE NEWS! YOU WON'T HEAR THE LAST OF THIS! PRAISE JESUS! *turns around and storms out of the store*

MJ: *turns to me* What the hell just happened? Did I just see that? Did you see that?

Me: I think the psychos have taken over the store today!

MJ: *shouts back in to our door greeter, jokingly* Hey, "Roberta"! Did you just see that?

Roberta: *shrugs her shoulders, shakes her head, and laughs* I've been here since the store first opened! Nothing surprises me anymore!

MJ: *turns back to me* Hey, Bob. Come back to my office on your lunch. I've got something I want to tell you.

I finish up the job and put everything back where it belongs. It's time for my lunch, so I go back to Jim's office to see what's up. He's sitting at his desk sorting through some papers (I guess they were sales reports, since they looked similar) and puts them aside when he sees me.

Me: What's up, Jim?

MJ: Well, I've got to tell you, you and I had a first today. I've been with this company 16 years and was hired in doing your job before I became a manager. I've never seen anything like what you and I witnessed today, so here...*opens desk drawer and pulls out a gift card*...is a little something for you. That should cover lunch for a few days.

I look down, see it's a $50 gift card, and refuse it. Jim insists I take it and won't take no for an answer. I thank him and leave the office.

Jim was always one of the best managers that store ever had. He was so awesome, he ended up getting his own store several years ago. It's consistently the highest-performing and highest-rated store in the market.

As for my former store? It's in decline as I speak, and it's a SC's paradise. I feel bad for my former coworkers--or at least the few of them that are left...

It's stories like that that show the value of a good manager over one that bows to all SC's!

Comment

nice prize for managing to surprise the boss?

and seriously, it sucks sometimes but most places have more than one toilet.
      and yeah, if he's got time to argue his bladder/bowels are not in an emergency state!

Comment

Ah, so the true depth of the eeeevils of Communism is revealed -- under their diabolical leadership, nobody's allowed to go to the toilet! Was that in Mao's Little Red Book or the Communist Manifesto?
        Last edited by Pixilated; 02-06-2013, 10:15 PM. Reason: Because some days I can't spell *anything*

Comment

Neither. It was in the Little Brown Book.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            It's stories like that that show the value of a good manager over one that bows to all SC's!
            "Jim" was just that kind of guy. He was always quick to stick up for us whenever something fell to pieces, and the morale around our store showed it.

I'm not sure whether the customer's "communists!!!!!" rant or the insults he rattled off were what caused Jim to give me that gift card, but I could see either being reasons. He hated temper tantrums, but he really hated SC's saying bad things about his employees. All those years of going from a cart slave to cashier to department manager and finally store manager made him think like one of us, and he tolerated no SC behavior. That's the kind of boss I like. From the reports coming out of his store, his employees really like him there, too. My other boss at the time--let's call her "Aileen"--was the same way. She was given the boot when the new management came in. Now it's all cliques and favoritism, and morale is *ahem* quickly going down the toilet.

All this, and it's pretty easy to see why my former store is struggling. It really is sad.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            and yeah, if he's got time to argue his bladder/bowels are not in an emergency state!
            The other restrooms were no further than 150 feet away. It would've taken him less than 2 minutes to walk back there. Instead, he opted to argue with "Jim" and I for about 10 minutes. He says, "no way is this restroom closed"? I say, "no way you've got to go that bad if you stand around and argue 5 times longer than it would take you to get to the other restroom"!

On top of that, there's never anyone in that restroom, anyway. There's about a 1% chance he would've had to wait after he got back there.

Comment

With the end of the story of the store going downhill, a part of me thought, "Hmm, maybe the SC was right about getting everyone fired..." I thought the same thing too that he must not have had to "go" that bad since he wanted a manager. The mischievous side of me thinks that after he asked for a manager, youuu taaallkk reaaalll slllooowwww..

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                if he's got time to argue his bladder/bowels are not in an emergency state!
                This.

Which is why whenever I read a letter on PFB or elsewhere about someone who was pregnant/ill/irritable bowel/etc who, when told they could not use the staff loo instead of dashing off to find the alternative suggested to them by the staff member, stayed and argued about it, I always think, "Well, couldn't be that urgent then, could it?"
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Of course you're all Communists! You're opening the floodgates to The Yellow Peril!

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
                    Of course you're all Communists! You're opening the floodgates to The Yellow Peril!
                    Floodgates and Yellow Peril. Heh. I see what you did there.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                      Floodgates and Yellow Peril. Heh. I see what you did there.
                      I aim to please, Crossbow! (O hai, yu see wat I did thar?

Comment

I think an example of Communism is going to a big sports stadium and using the pee "trough" men have to use for a urinal. You ladies have it lucky.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5108/5...5a2e2d03_z.jpg

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          I think an example of Communism is going to a big sports stadium and using the pee "trough" men have to use for a urinal. You ladies have it lucky.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5108/5...5a2e2d03_z.jpg
                          Except for the long wait in line. Standing there, wishing everyone would just hurry while we're crossing our legs trying to hold it in...

Comment

emax4 - Still better than the circular version. *shudder*
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X