This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three times in a week

I'm pretty sure this is the right subforum to put this in, if not, by all means do move it!

Anyways, moving on, basically, I've been mistaken for an employee somewhere other than the actual place I work a THREE times within a week!

Incident One:

So I work at the "Y" and my shirt is bright RED. We also have the logo in white on our chest. My name tag also has the logo of the Y.

My friend/CW Juju and I, topped by the one dollar store after work where their uniform is bright GREEN.

JuJu and I walk towards the candy section when this lady says, "Ma'am? Where can I find (some product I dont remember)?"

I think that she's talking to the employee behind me and continue on my way but she repeats herself, "Ma'am? Excuse me?" while staring at me. I realize that she's talking to me and I immediately go, "I'm sorry? I don't work here???"

She goes, "OH! Oh! I'm sorry, I thought you did."

I don't know, since I've always been treated as a child all my life, it sorta feels nice that I look "mature" enough to be a worker grunt x)

Juju and I cracked up in the candy isle. Also, I bought a whole box of bunch'a crunch while I was there. I picked up the whole box off the shelf and got it as it was. 15 wonderful cases of bunch a' crunch yum <3

Incident le second;

Juju and I were standing in front of our school campus bookstore after it had closed; we were waiting for a friend who worked at the bookstore. So we just chilled around and I started being a monkey and climbed all over the place (I dont think I'm allowed to, though).
    Again, it was right after work so we were wearing bright red shirts. The last I checked, the campus bookstore's uniforms were simple black shirts with their own logo or something on it.

We see a person walking towards the bookstore and he looks at us just standing around. He asks, "Is the bookstore closed?"

I say, "Yes it is."

He then asks, "Oh ok, what time do you guys open tomorrow?"

I immediately hold up the logo on my shirt and say, "Sorry! Don't work here. I don't know."
    He apologizes but Juju tells him the time cause she's memorized it for some reason.
    We cracked up that it happened again the day right after the first incident.

Incident the hopefully final one;

It just occurred a few hours ago, of course right after work, at the Mart of Wal. We were wearing our bright red shirts and the last i checked, WM wore blue shirts.

As we're messing around and passing the pharmacy, headed towards checkout, a woman reaches out to me and asks if I knew where a certain product was.
    "Excuse me? Sorry, I don't work here!"

She goes, "OH! I'm sorry, I thought you worked here because of your badge!"

Badge? What ba--ohhhh. I looked down at my Y lanyard that held a laminated barcode that I use to clock in and out of work. She saw my lanyard that said Y all over it and a little white laminated card and thought it was Wally world's badge and lanyards.
    I suppose they look close enough???? lol I don't know.

Just a sudden wave of not looking carefully

So, uh, it happened for a fourth time at wally world today.

This lady comes up to me as im walking past her while i have a couple thing in my hand and a notepad with a shopping list on it; im looking straight down at the list when she goes; "Excuse me ma'am? Where can i find--"

I cut her off immediately; "I don't... work here."

Lady; "OH! Oh, I'm sorry!"

we laughed it off and went our seperate ways...

Well, I guess I should stop wearing my work clothes to places? But i get out so late that i dont want to change just to stop at wally's >.<

Comment

Not gonna make much difference, these boards are full of stories of people wearing their normal clothes, gym clothes or dressed as hobos (by work-clothes standards) being stopped for info.

I got one stashed somewhere of me going to the dollar store (light grey shirt, green apron) in my work uniform at the time (dark grey shirt, red hat, red apron, red fleece, logo of my store on ALL red items) and being stopped for help.

Nowadays I get stopped at my favorite clothing store... because I wear nothing BUT the clothes from that store!
      Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

good ways for getting pegged as an employee:

- walk around like you're on a mission and know exactly what you're looking for
        - if you're female don't have a purse (they'll think you left it in the car or locker room)
        - or dress professionally - either in nice clothes or a work uniform for another company. sometimes that one will even get other employees to mistake you for an employee too!

I was in walmart once, picking up ammo for my Crosman (Dad's old airgun, circa mid 60s) when one of the women working in the sporting section turned to me to ask about something work related. Then she did a double take and realized I was wearing a polo from the company across the road.

She was embarrassed a little but I thought it was funny myself

Comment

I swear, it's the aura that current and former (like me ) retail workers give off. It doesn't matter what we are or aren't wearing, they KNOW. It could also just be the aura of competence. ~_~
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            It could also just be the aura of competence. ~_~
            You need to watch out for that... http://www.dilbert.com/2013-03-17/

Comment

I had that happen at a Win Ner's. I was pulling some stuff off a shelf to get a closer look at it, and suddenly this lady comes flying towards me, asking me about some product.

SC: WHERE is this product? I've been looking around her for an HOUR!
              I raised my eyebrows: Uh...I have no idea.
              SC:Well, you should know! God, they'll hire anyone these days!
              Me: Lady, do you see a badge anywhere on me? Do you see any kind of a uniform? Or any hint that I work here? No. I'm a damn civilian trying to do some shopping.
              SC (mouth drops): Well, that was rude.
              Me: Good. Maybe you'll change your attitude when asking an actual employee where something is. I'd refrain from insulting them though, they might not like that.

Yes, I acted like a dick. I'll admit it. But, seriously?

Comment

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
                I had that happen at a Win Ner's. I was pulling some stuff off a shelf to get a closer look at it, and suddenly this lady comes flying towards me, asking me about some product.

<snip>
                You weren't a dick, you were reacting like any human being would when somebody else is being rude to them for no reason! Good on you, I say.
                Last edited by Dips; 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM. Reason: Please trim quotes. We don't need to read the same post twice.

Comment

I've been stopped once in a department store while I was on break.

Their uniforms were blue striped shirts (althought hey're now allowing their employees to wear navy blue polo shirts as well).
                  Our work shirts were granny smith green.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

One time I was at the Mart of Wal wearing a fairly tight red t-shirt that had a big strawberry and the words "Bite Me" on it, blue jean shorts, and sandals. Another customer mistook me for an employee..the reason he gave-- because my waist length hair was in a pony tail.

Comment

Working...
                    X