This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't -think- we were sucky...

My mom and I decided to stop at Olive Garden to have dinner while we were out shopping today. Since we went at 2pm, which is kind of a weird time of day, they were pretty non-busy. We got seated pretty quickly and decided what we wanted fast, since we pretty much already knew what we wanted. That's when the waiting began.

We sat and we waited and we waited. About 15 minutes went by and tables who were seated after us were already getting their drinks and salads and breadsticks. Finally our waiter came around and we realized that it was a guy who had been serving the table directly behind us, who stopped and looked at us and then kept on going about 10 minutes prior. So we asked for the manager, who came right over. We told him about the wait, the waiter walking by and ignoring us, the other tables who had already been served (including one in his section) and said that we wanted to stay but we did -not- want that server. He got someone different to serve us, who was flipping awesome and who we're gonna ask for next time we're there, and gave us a discount on our order. We left him a very nice tip and told the manager how amazing he was.

So, was us staying to eat but specifically requesting a different server sucky? We were just irritated because we were both starving and we both hate being ignored.

No, in my opinion you weren't sucky. You didn't scream or cause a scene, you just let the manager know what was going on and politely asked for another server.

I've had that same situation happen, sitting there with nothing while people who came in after we did (usually I'm with family or friends) get served and we're still sitting there waiting for drinks and/or for someone to take our order.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

No. Not sucky at all.

You were giving very poor service and informed the manager of it without ranting, screaming, or insulting anyone. You didn't ask for the compensation of a discount, and when you received good service from your second server you didn't let the actions of the first impact the tip.

You were a good customer.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I didn't think we were being too bad but I wasn't sure since we took up a table in the original server's section but without using him as a server. And I would never ever let someone else's behavior dictate a tip. Regardless of what the kitchen, another server, another table or a host did, if you did good, you're being tipped accordingly. It's only fair.

Comment

Quoth ngc_7331 View Post
          I didn't think we were being too bad but I wasn't sure since we took up a table in the original server's section but without using him as a server.
          It's more like you were seated in the original server's section but the original server wasn't serving you. He did it to himself.
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Sounds to me like they may have switched stations mid-shift, which added to the confusion.

If that's the case, it's STILL no excuse for not at least saying 'hang on folks, someone will be right with you', with an explanation.

Sometimes a little information goes a long way. Most people are reasonable if you simply communicate with them. This guy failed and hard.

I dont blame you for being annoyed.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I'm amazed that happened at an OG.

I've never in my life had a bad experience at Olive Garden.

But then again, there is a world outside of Hickville, USA. I tend to forget that.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                I'm amazed that happened at an OG.

I've never in my life had a bad experience at Olive Garden.

But then again, there is a world outside of Hickville, USA. I tend to forget that.
                This was the first time in 4 years that we've ever complained at a server at this Olive Garden. They're usually very good, this just seemed to be a one off.

Comment

Quoth ngc_7331 View Post
                  I didn't think we were being too bad but I wasn't sure since we took up a table in the original server's section but without using him as a server. And I would never ever let someone else's behavior dictate a tip. Regardless of what the kitchen, another server, another table or a host did, if you did good, you're being tipped accordingly. It's only fair.
                  i posted about it once, how we had a server that was switched on us (not our request), but she wasn't going home.

i can only guess that she was getting upset that my BF asked about a promotion they weren't prepared for (although it had been advertised), and then asked for plates for our appetizer.

the new server was good, so (even though we knew the other one was still on the bill) we tipped well. we haven't been back there since, though. (not necessarily because of that - although it's a factor... but we also have a *lot* of places to go to here.

Comment

Once, when the Golden Corral had first opened (and I was still employed), I'd been there. The waitress in the section I was in was very friendly, especially to this one particular table. But she wasn't so hot at tending to the rest of us. It had gotten so bad some of the other waitresses began to bev our tables or clean our dirty ones.

Finally, three of them went to the waitress and spoke to her. We didn't hear what they said, but the point was rather clear. She became more of a worker. I didn't see her there again the next time I was there.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I went to Olive Garden for lunch once, was seated quickly then waited and waited. A waitress stopped by to see if I'd been helped, said 'No', she took my drink order and left to find the server. Turns out the I was seated in the section before the server was scheduled to start. The manager was all apologetic and I got my meal for free.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

I once went to Pizza Hut by myself for a meal; this was during my single days and I often went to places by myself. The waitress ignored me completely; I tried everything to catch her attention but she was too busy playing up to a big group who arrived about ten minutes after me. She probably thought they'd be more likely to tip her than a lone woman. After five more minutes, I went to find the manager and told him I was leaving cuz I was starving and sick of being ignored. The manager offered to comp my drinks and dessert if I stayed; I agreed on the grounds that if I was staying, I wanted another server. He asked a waiter to come and serve me.

The waiter was really attentive, got me a drink right away and refills and when my food was ready, brought it right out. Cuz of his attentiveness, I tipped him heavilly. Oh yeah, and the large table? I saw that they completely stiffed the waitress and only paid for their food. Sucks to be her.
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                        X