Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucky Service seen at work, or am I being too sensitive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Service seen at work, or am I being too sensitive?

Hello everyone.

It has been a while since I last posted.

Kinda some background: I currently work Customer Service in an office building that also has its own little bistro like restaurant. This restaurant has items on their menu, with the cheapest item being 1.00 and the most expensive being about 6.00 or so. They also have an ATM that dispenses 20.00 as the lowest denomination. (This is important). /end backstory.

So yesterday, I wanted to get 20.00 from the ATM for other uses. However, I felt like some potato salad and theirs is tasty and I had the 2.00 in my wallet for that, so I wasn't planning on asking them to break the 20.00. There were four kitchen staffers sitting at a table near the ATM. I had just pulled my debit card out of my wallet (hadn't even looked at the ATM screen yet) when one of the staffers turns around and says in a snotty tone "Read the sign! Its not working! Tell me what it says!!!" Surprised, I read out loud what I saw on the screen "Out of service. Please contact technician."

Staffer: "You need to READ it first!"
    Me: 'Silently pays for salad with change in wallet."

Ok. I understand that maybe they had some not so nice people that got angry that the machine was out of service, but I do not think I deserved that tone. Or am I just being sensitive? What do you guys think?

Also, as I mentioned previously, their stuff is quite cheap, but the ATM dispenses 20.00 as the lowest denomination. There are times that I do not carry cash and the 20.00 I get from the machine is all I have. Everytime I pay with a 20.00, I get sighed at, catbutt face and/or rolling eyes. I get that maybe there is not enough cash in the till, but I am sure they're aware the lowest amount the machine dispenses. Perhaps they should remove the machine altogether or post a sign saying they cannot accept bills over 10.00?? Again, what do you think? Am I being too sensitive?

-ExArtShopSlave

No, not at all. They had no reason to jump down your throat like that.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Yes, because it is totally reasonable that someone will walk up to an ATM, read whatever it says on there (when it is usually advertisments) and only after that pull out their ATM card.

NOT!!!

Pretty much everyone I know pulls out their ATM card as they're walking up or just as they are reaching the ATM.

If they've been having this attitude for so long I would consider reporting them to their manager. This is completely ridiculous. Yes breaking 20s for little stuff can clean out a drawer, but you do not give that kind of attitude to a customer who has done nothing to warrant it other than not having exact change in their wallet at all times. Which is not deserving of the 'tude.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

You're not being too sensitive at all. That was completely uncalled for. Absolutely ridiculous. It doesn't matter if they may have had some "not so nice" people that day. You don't speak to someone who has done absolutely nothing wrong like that.

Comment

I read this to my boyfriend and we both agree that this staff member is being a douchebag! Entirely uncalled for. People get SCs all the time, it doesn't mean you should jump down someone's throat who hasn't even done anything.

Comment

I'm with the others that the person's attitude was totally uncalled for. Both the snobby comment, and the passive-aggressive gestures the other times you paid with a $20.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              No, not at all. They had no reason to jump down your throat like that.
              THIS!!!!!!!

You approached the ATM and pulled your card out. You hadn't seen the sign yet, but you also hadn't said anything to them about it yet either. It doesn't matter how many other customers gave them crap over it - YOU didn't... they just chose to take it out on you.

So no, the only ones here that are 'too sensitive' are the jerks that snapped at you

and getting pissy that people pay with 20s? That's their OWN PROBLEM for putting an ATM IN THEIR OWN ESTABLISHMENT. They CHOSE this!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                and getting pissy that people pay with 20s? That's their OWN PROBLEM for putting an ATM IN THEIR OWN ESTABLISHMENT. They CHOSE this!
                Well, managements fault, their problem.
                The problem could be nullified with a little forethought, just keep enough change for the twenties they know will come.

Comment

It is management's problem. Why wouldn't they just have Interac payment for purchases? I guess they probably make more money with the ATM fees.

We have a restaurant in our mall (the only restaurant left actually) and they only accept cash. Everyone needs to have cash on them or use the ATM that is tied to the bank that is also in the mall. I'm sure they get loads of 20s too, but that is their problem.

It's not a problem for me anymore anyway since I decided to boycott them. They raised all of their prices right after the other only restaurant in the mall closed down.

But I digress...

Comment

Quoth Mel View Post

It's not a problem for me anymore anyway since I decided to boycott them. They raised all of their prices right after the other only restaurant in the mall closed down.

But I digress...

Yea. I am thinking of boycotting this restaurant. Honestly, I don't eat there regularly as I often bring my own food. However, everytime I DO buy from there, I always get the same attitude.

I went there a couple weeks ago for lunch, grabbed what I wanted and waited for like 10 mins or so in line. THERE WAS NOBODY ELSE IN LINE!!! There was an employee with her back turned, doing dishes. After five or so 'Excuse me's', she finally turned around. Again, catbutt face, without saying a word to me. I always ask cashiers/waiters/waitresses how they are doing and am friendly.

Its not like my lunch break is at the height of the lunch rush either. Its early-ish afternoon...

-ExArtShopSlave
                    Last edited by ExArtShopSlave; 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM. Reason: Add more

Comment

sounds like a good reason to talk to the manager

Comment

Quoth ExArtShopSlave View Post
                        I had just pulled my debit card out of my wallet (hadn't even looked at the ATM screen yet) when one of the staffers turns around and says in a snotty tone "Read the sign! Its not working! Tell me what it says!!!" Surprised, I read out loud what I saw on the screen "Out of service. Please contact technician."

Staffer: "You need to READ it first!"
                        Me: 'Silently pays for salad with change in wallet."
                        I had something kind of similar happen to me in a grocery store! Bathroom was apparently out of order and instead of letting me read the sign, I had a bagger yell at me across a crowded store that the restrooms were out of order. Multiple times. Never mind the fact that I was trying to find out where the other restrooms were! Instead I was yelled at like an idiot.

Now she was trying to be helpful but...

So I get it. Not like she was saving you an epic journey... Either shut up or be nice, Really!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner
                        "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Definitely have a word with a manager if you can. This incident may have been a slightly more dramatic one (shouting across "tell me what is says" sounds incredibly confrontational) but from what you've said there is a constant apathy and rudeness. As you don't use the restaurant that often, it might seem like there's no point, but you could save those who do from being served with that kind of attitude.

Comment

Working...
                          X