This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am the Laundry Fairy

So there I am, doing my laundry in the apartment complex laundry room, and I notice that not 1, but 3 of the 6 dryers are out of order. One of them has had a sign taped to it since the beginning of last month.

I decide that the only way to get things done is to do them myself, so I call the number for the washer/dryer company (we'll call them WindowsGreen) to report the malfunctioning machines and get them scheduled for service.

While I'm on the phone with WindowsGreen's answering service, Not-All-There (NAT) lady comes in and starts putting her laundry in one of the washers. Now, I have never seen NAT lady in my entire life. All I know about her is that she must occasionally feel the need to wash her clothing and that she probably lives somewhere in the same apartment complex. That sums up my entire knowledge of NAT lady.

NAT lady is quiet as I finish giving WindowsGreen the details of the broken dryers and hang up. I turn to let NAT lady know that three of the dryers are broken, but dryers 1, 3, and 4 still work, and dryer 1 is currently empty.

NAT lady says, "Oh?"

Me: "Yeah, I just got off the phone with the repair company."

NAT lady: "Did you tell them that I have to walk all the way across the complex to do my laundry?"

Me: ????

(So apparently I am a magical being because I know how to call a phone number on a wall, and thus I must know exactly what every stranger around me is thinking and what they want me to convey. When do I get my wings?)

...& you were supposed to know that how?

Comment

and how is that your problem to fix.
      she apparently CAN get to the laundry room and can hear & talk so... she can pick up the phone to call them too.

Comment

Yeah, I'm still scratching my head. I'm just a resident like you, lady, and I have no idea where you live. Plus I'm betting $100 that the tech doesn't care how many residents have to make extra trips allll the way across the complex to do laundry because there are fewer working dryers. Whining to the answering service about how far you have to walk isn't going to get a tech out sooner, either -- they have no control.

(Bonus points as there are multiple Laundromats in the complex, so odds are there are closer, functional dryers to her.)

Comment

You know those "granny carts"?

I had one of those in college. I can't tell you how useful it was. Especially in the city where I'm walking everywhere.

For groceries! For a huge load of laundry because I just realized that I have no more clean <insert important piece of clothing>! For trash! For dumping everyone's stuff into because we're all tired after a long day and don't want to carry it anymore!

Seriously, granny carts are awesome. Never had to make multiple trips to do anything!
          My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
          It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
            Shopping trolleys?

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/...FXDKtAodqxsAYA

Wonderful things. :-) Not sexy, but sexier than a bad back and injured hands though carrying heavy bags. (I'm using mine to help me move house currently)

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
              Oh hell yes! I'm rocking a granny cart now. The only time it's annoying is when it's really crowded on the train or bus.
              "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                Oh hell yes! I'm rocking a granny cart now. The only time it's annoying is when it's really crowded on the train or bus.
                They saved my back on many occasions in college when I had to take the bus or subway to get food or do laundry.
                The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Yay for Nana Trolleys! XD
                  Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                  It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Having dealt w/ NAT's brethren, I gotta say the exchange should go something like this.

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
                    NAT lady: "Did you tell them that I have to walk all the way across the complex to do my laundry?"
                    "Yes, twice. They said they'd see what they can do and they'll call you."

Comment

in Germany we call these Heel-Porsche... Yep and they are really useful, who cares what other people think.

Each time I read the thread title I see you fluttering around the washers and dryers dusting them with fairy dust...
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                      X