This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Murdering Twin Maker

A short film called To Be, by John Weldon. It's a story about a scientist who made a "teleporter" that makes copies of people and destroys the originals, and the woman who objected, because the technique was basically murder.

It disturbed me on so many levels because:

1. It shows how far science is willing to go for the sake of progress, AND
    2 (and most disturbing). It shows how far people are willing to go to prove their point.

Enjoy, and please, share your thoughts about it!
    Last edited by cindybubbles; 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

That sounds a lot like the premise of a science fiction short story I've read a few times (but the title of the story and the author escape me at the moment). Basically, an alien race makes contact, which leads to contact with a lot of other races. Transmission is the main form of travel between stars. The way it works is a scanner records the subject down to the subatomic level, that information is transmitted to the receiver, and the original is then destroyed. Being willing to destroy our originals (and actually following through with it on confirmation of successful transfer of the pattern), to 'preserve harmony' was the price for being allowed to join this interstellar multi-species civilization.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

^ That story was an episode of The Outer Limits also.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Delightful animation style and good points made throughout.

Comment

Cracked.com has covered this concept in regards to the transporters on Star Trek.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Also a high profile film as well but it was a magician who did it and the clone was killed instead. Wish I could remember it off the top of my head.

It's not an unexplored theme to be honest. Any time the issue of cloning comes up so does the issue of a person's soul and life.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

The prestige, with Bale, Jackman, and Bowie.
              What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Just to let you know, IMHO, the woman was just as bad as the scientist, because <spoiler>she helped to kill one of the cloned scientists just to prove to the other that murder is wrong.</spoiler>
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
                  The prestige, with Bale, Jackman, and Bowie.
                  Thank you.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                  X