This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Livin

So, I'm no fan of the cold, but the company is paying for me to go to this conference in a northern state about civilian rescue etc. Since I just don't work tour birds (some can be equipped w/ rescue gear) I was chosen to go and 'learn.' One more week of this cold-ass weather.

Can I ask - JBRE? (Ft. Rich?) Up there where Santa lives, there used to be a war game occasionally. Usually us and Russia, sometimes us and RAF getting together and training for nut-shrink-cold war stuff. Since I lived right close to the fores where the games were done, I could hear the echos of a blast. KA-BOUM.
    And we (up there) had some interesting ways to rescue people. All these different kinds of terrain/areas/idiots.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

No idea where that is.

Comment

Alaska, Ft. Rich (I'm old) is just north of Anchorage.

Comment

Thankfully never been that far north. It's cold enough to freeze my balls off here as it is.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
            Alaska, Ft. Rich (I'm old) is just north of Anchorage.
            It actually butts right up to Anchorage now and only became JBER in 2010 so you can't be that old. Hubby was stationed there from 2004-2006 medical retirement, then we lived in Wasilla until 2011.

Fairbanks is by North Pole and Santas Village though

Comment

Quoth kpzra View Post
              It actually butts right up to Anchorage now and only became JBER in 2010 so you can't be that old. Hubby was stationed there from 2004-2006 medical retirement, then we lived in Wasilla until 2011.

Fairbanks is by North Pole and Santas Village though
              Hehe I moved to Anchorage in 1982, and lived in a place from '84 to '93? Our back yard was adjacent to forest owned by the military. I *think* the forest was part of Ft. Rich.
              Heh I remember getting thru to Ft. Rich from Elmendorf (couple of ways there), the out-only exit right next to the Glenn from Ft. Rich.

I know where Fairbanks is at, ya have to be kind of insane to live there. Had no desire to live there at all; I stayed in Anchorage.

I left there around 2005 to come to Washington. Somewhat regret it, but can't go home.

Comment

The Muldoon gate has the new shopping center with Target and the IMAX right outside it now, I'm talking less than a quarter mile. When we moved on-post they had the Glenn exit only gate inop, but then they started using it 0600-1800 weekdays and 0900-2000 weekends (yes, I still remember the hours after so long). You can now go through the park to get from post to base by the commissary instead of taking the long scenic route.

I miss Alaska and can't wait to get back up there, but in Wasilla so hubby can get back with his fire station.

Sorry for the hijack Whirly_bird.

Comment

Muldoon...has a shopping center??? We were the red headed stepchild of shopping. I grew up with stripmalls around there. I'd have to come back and look at all these changes, I do know the hospital is a brand new one! Man, I'm curious.

Comment

When we first moved up there is was all trees in there, now there is Lowes, Khols, Target, strip mall stuff and an IMAX...even Reno doesn't have an IMAX but Anchorage does.

From when we had moved up in 2004 until we had to leave in 2011 if had changed a lot. There is even an Olive Garden in Anchorage.

Comment

Working...
                    X