This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So frustrated and not sure what to do

As you know, my husband and I took over running a small hotel. It's a very pretty hotel but it needs work and we know it. The thing is, we aren't the owners. Repairs and upgrades are something the owner needs to do. And the owners are getting to it, its just slow going because we've been pretty much full to the last room for almost three months.

We have dozens of people go through the hotel every day, and nearly every single one of them talk about how they have had such a great stay, and they will come again. We always ask them to go give us a review on places like Tripadvisor and Yelp, and most of them say they will definitely do that, then don't.

The problem is that only those few that have actually had problems are reviewing. So almost all the reviews since we took over are really bad reviews. And none of them talk about service (the staff and their treatment of guests), they talk about the quality of the hotel.

Heck, we had one review that actually complained that there was spackle on the walls because holes were filled and we needed to wait for it to dry before we painted. What? Seriously? They'd rather we leave the cracks in the paint? I bet if we had left it, they would have complained about that.

And then there was someone that complained because we didn't have a large enough coffee pot. Yes, I'm serious.

And here's another thing... cockroaches. We had a guest find one. Here's a simple reality of living in this area... there are cockroaches everywhere. They are about 2 or 3 inches long and live on the banana trees. They aren't even remotely interested in human beings and eat the wood. And they are just like any other insect in that sometimes they get inside. And sometimes guests leave the doors open and they get in. We aren't omniscient.

We know there's repairs that need to be done, and we are getting to them, but the hotel is not going to shut down during the busiest time of year to paint the walls, and put in new wallpaper. Only major repairs are being done right now because those need to be dealt with. No hotel in the world would shut down completely during the busy season unless it was literally falling apart at the seems.

This is so frustrating, and we don't know what to do about any of it. How do we get people to actually go online to post their good reviews? Heck, every single guest I talked to today talked about how wonderful we are and that they will tell everyone they know to come here, but not a one of them went online to broadcast it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Get a couple of old computers, set them up to be locked to the browser. If you know how (I'm not sure how, but I could probably figure something out) lock the browser just to the sites you want reviews on. Set those computers up somewhere very convenient to where people wait for taxis when they're checking out.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I recently stayed at a chain hotel. We used points to book the room and it was a bit sketchy for that chain. That being said all the thing wrong weren't things they could control. The breakfast was good, when the tv remote was dead they tried and tried to fix it but couldn't, and they tried to,locate a replacement pillow for the one that had been stolen out of our room. All and alll they were trying. little things were wrong, like someone dumped garbage on the property in the back lot after everyone but the desk clerk had gone home, the remote just would not fix, there were no extra pillows, the paint was pealing here and there and the sidewalk a bit uneven but nothing they could do anything about. I went on tripadvisor to give them kudos for trying to make things better and I saw hundreds of bad reviews. Each and everyone was addressed by the manager, noting if the complaint was brought up to the manager, what was done to resolve the issue and highlighting the good features, such as the breakfast, they had dinner 4 nights a week, the aditional services offered and in some cases an offer of a reasonable discount. Of e guest complained and had not brought up the issue to the manager it was pointed out that no issue was reported and an apology issues but it was then points out, how can we resolve your issues if you fail to report them? In that case, the positive points of the hotel were highlighted but no discount offer was extended. It was a nice system and it shoes the manager was paying attention and working to resolve the issues. Just an idea. They kept a log visible on the desk and any complaint or problem was noted and the resolution as well.

Comment

I hate to say it, but... you might try a minor incentive to get people to post their honest reviews. Doesn't have to be much, but something like "please post a review at x site and get blank on your next stay at our hotel." Blank could be something as simple as a chocolate on the pillow, free sodas in the mini-fridge if you have them.. that sort of thing. Something not too costly, but could generate some interest in posting.

Have them include some necessary info, like the date they stayed, to give you an idea of legit reviews. Though to be honest, if someone wanted to fake the review for the freebie.. well, you still win, because they'd have to come to your hotel to use it.
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Quoth raudf View Post
          I hate to say it, but... you might try a minor incentive to get people to post their honest reviews. Doesn't have to be much, but something like "please post a review at x site and get blank on your next stay at our hotel." Blank could be something as simple as a chocolate on the pillow, free sodas in the mini-fridge if you have them.. that sort of thing. Something not too costly, but could generate some interest in posting.

Have them include some necessary info, like the date they stayed, to give you an idea of legit reviews. Though to be honest, if someone wanted to fake the review for the freebie.. well, you still win, because they'd have to come to your hotel to use it.
          I wish we could do that, but Tripadvisor has put a stop to that behavior. Its one thing to ask directly on checkout, but its another to actually advertise it. They get very upset since you're bribing people.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
            Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

I wish we could do that, but Tripadvisor has put a stop to that behavior. Its one thing to ask directly on checkout, but its another to actually advertise it. They get very upset since you're bribing people.
            Can you email them a request to fill out the survey? Embed a link to in in the email, and maybe include a discount code.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Or, like how some fast food places do it - fill out a survey at their home page and the customer is entered into a contest to win something.

prizes perhaps something like a free stay.

and since it'll be your own site you don't have to worry about trip advisor's rules etc.

Comment

This is a phenomenon I've seen happen in real life ~_~ If someone has a spectacular and flawless visit/trip/meal/etc, they'll tell their friends and/or family soon afterwards. If they have issues, they'll tell everyone they know and fifty people they don't, and they will NEVER forget x.x
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                  Can you email them a request to fill out the survey? Embed a link to in in the email, and maybe include a discount code.
                  This is a great suggestion. I've already talked to my husband about it. He likes the idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X