This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights would be good here

There is a chain of stores around this area where they just stick them up in really random out of the way places. Bit of genius actually. If you need to pick up a quick item there are at least 3 stores within 5 miles of my house and they are not near as costly as convenience stores.

So Sunday night I head to the one right down the road to pick up a couple of things. We get there around 8:50 pm and they shut off half the lights at 9:00. I told the cashier I was sorry for having to ring me up at the last minute as I had not realized they closed earlier on Sundays. He said "I just started here but I am sure we are open til 10:00".

My daughter saw the manager and asked what time they close. Yep, 10:00 pm. This is the third time they have turned off half the lights an hour before close. When 3 more customers walked in they turned them back on. I assume this one manager does it so the store looks closed from the street and no more customers will come in. Seeing as how we were obviously shopping I found it rather rude and quit dangerous. It is a small store and they always have product sitting in the aisles to be stocked.

I'd be tempted to contact corporate and ask if this is normal procedure. The place where I work, we have to be fairly careful about giving the "We're closed go away" look too early ... if we do, and corporate finds out, somebody will be having WORDS with the manager, who will then pass it along to whoever was in charge ....

And despite my sarcasm (who, me? ) I don't have any problem with that. Stores are there to do business and (hopefully) make a profit. Driving customers away isn't going to help much with either.

Also not really sure what the point is, unless they can actually lock up and go home early. Yes, they are getting paid to do nothing, but my experience is that that gives you a really good look at the concept of "eternity."

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I'd be tempted to contact corporate and ask if this is normal procedure.
      Yeah, that. I used to work at Hardee's. There were two stores and both had 24-hr drive thru. My store would get busy on the overnights, and Fri/Sat were especially insane. Imagine my discomfort when I was asked to work a Fri graveyard at sister store with just one other person *faints*. I get there and the store is a total mess, nothing was stocked for overnight and the lobby/bathrooms hadn't even been touched by evening crew. Yet aside from a minor rush, the store was completely dead all night. Why? Because the manager turned off the outside lights and when the lobby was cleaned, he even turned off the lobby. Only regulars knew we were even open, because this was an everyday thing. Small wonder that sister store wasn't busy on overnights.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

makes me wonder if maybe someone installed motion-sensitive lights to save money or something like that, not realizing it would also chase away customers.

Lights would be good here
        anyone else thinking of this now?
        Last edited by PepperElf; 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The local Mart of Hell super center has those idiotic lights that when a certain brightness in the building is reached, they'll shut off a set of lights to save electricity. Great and good, but whenever the stupid things blink on or off, my first thought is that the bulbs are dying. One of these days in a fit of mommy-brain, I'm going to report the issue of dying bulbs to a manager..

Amusing part of this is watching people's heads snap up to look at them as it happens. However, the lights do not do this during really cloudy days or at night. If they go off during that time, you have 30 minutes to pay and get out, because that's how long the registers will still work during a power outage
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            anyone else thinking of this now?
            THANK YOU. I was trying to remember where I'd heard that quote. I couldn't remember the movie.

Comment

anyone else thinking of this now? [/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I thought of when writing this post.

Comment

Working...
              X