This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Suicidal Vintage Convertible Drivers Abetted By Careless Truckers

I've been a longtime reader of this site, but this is only my second time posting. My first posting attempt timed out before I finished it.

Item 1:

One Saturday morning I was on the I-405 South headed towards Huntington Beach. About a mile before the Beach Bl. exit, I spotted a guy driving a tiny Fiat Spider of late 60s / early 70s vintage. But the thing was a hulk. Riddled with rust, canvas top tattered, dents everywhere, spewing a steady stream of stinky blue oil smoke from its sagging tailpipe. The dude driving looked like an older, scruffier version of Ric Ocasek.

At the last minute he sees he's about to miss his turnoff, prompting him to zip RIGHT IN BETWEEN a fully loaded semi carrying lengths of pipe, and a big box truck following the semi much too closely. He squeezes in the spot with only 5-6 feet to spare on either side. If the semi had to make a sudden stop, you'd have a Fiat sandwich.

Yikes! A mint condition fiat wouldn't offer much protection there; his sounds like it could be ground to dust and blow away. Just like being in the wrong lane at a light, I can never understand why people don't just go the next intersection/turnoff and double back, especially when not doing so puts themselves (and usually others) at risk.

Nice imagery in the write-up, btw.

Welcome aboard to posting, GreaseMonkey. (Wow. A year of lurking?)

Comment

Yeah I know- sad isn't it ( lurking for a year )?

Item 2:

Late one Friday night, I'm coming home from a house party in the San Fernando Valley. There's a storm passing through, and it's pouring buckets. I'm on the northbound 405 freeway going through the Sepulveda Pass (near the Getty Museum ) when I hear the angry roar of dual Flowmaster mufflers coming up behind me. I look in my rearview mirror and see a pair of old-fashioned round headlights coming up on me at a very unsafe speed.

Seconds later an absolutely mint '67 Rally Sport Camaro convertible blows past me on the left. I get a good look at the dude driving. He looks like a veteran rocker or old-school surfer- late 40s / early 50s, real long hair, craggy face, dark tan, and a sleeveless t-shirt showing off his buff arms. The reason I saw him so well is the fact that he had his interior lights on for some odd reason. He also looked really pissed off about something.

A couples minute later he floors it and both back tires break loose and the car momentarily fishtails as he shoots up the interchange ramp. He doesn't let off the gas once. You could still hear his engine roaring over the downpour.
      Last edited by GreaseMonkey; 03-31-2013, 10:14 PM. Reason: Correct a few typos

Comment

Nothing wrong with lurking ^_^ ...Especially around here, it helps. I lurked for months before my first post, and another recent newcomer has been doing so much, much longer.

Welcome to the world of the Posting!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth GreaseMonkey View Post
          I've been a longtime reader of this site, but this is only my second time posting. My first posting attempt timed out before I finished it.

Dang. I've never had that happen here. Except when I open a page and don't reply to it until the next day. which sucks cos I can't just hit the back button to repost.

and welcome to the nuthouse

and lurking is ok. Not everyone has a lot they want to say. I know my BF is nowhere near as talky as I am (I'm a motormouth.... motortypist?). I joined one of his message boards and pretty much surpassed his postcount in the first 2 months there.
          Last edited by PepperElf; 04-03-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X