Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll chip in on the 'Time' aspect too, with the addendum that you focus on the fact that it will work. It doesn't do you much good in the short term to know the long term will be better unless you say to yourself "I'm closer today to being ok with this than I was yesterday."

A second help is actively not dwelling on it. I got kinda screwed the last time it happened to me in that I was in a job that I could do by rote. It didn't take a lot of brain power, but I couldn't focus on anything else while doing it either. (Probably like your current job?) As a result, there was the constant rehashing of stupid crap concerning "her" trying to start up in my head all the time. Whenever that would start, I'd immediately think of something, anything else ---not even let those thoughts get a toehold. (I'm certainly not saying don't examine those feelings, but it can be done at some remove from the situation, when YOU WANT to do so.)

Third, fill up inactive time with activities you enjoy, especially those that weren't possible or weren't all that fun with the ex. This isn't even about him, really, there are always things that are more fun or satisfying to do alone than as a couple, no matter how great the partner. My wife is a top contender for Best Wife in the World, but I still look forward to when she goes out of town on business meetings - total control over shows/movies to watch, as many servings of peas and brussel sprouts as I want, etc.

On the ditching/getting ditched front, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I strongly suspect that it wouldn't have lasted even if he wasn't gearing up to go back to his comfort zone. I know what the majority of guys up here are like, and not to give you swelled head or anything, but you seem too good for most of them. Just being on here distinguishes you from the average woodbilly; you interact with people from all over the world. and do so articulately and insight-fully. Writing and communication skills aside, just having an open enough mind to want to do it takes you up a notch.

Finally, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you pretty much a serial dater? Move from one relationship on to the next without much time in between? Not casting aspersions; nothing wrong with having a S.O. when that makes you happiest. But if you are, my heartiest recommendation is that you give yourself an ironclad time limit before you get serious again. The chance that a perfect mate will slip by in the interim is pretty low, and I've seen women come out of introspective periods practically new people; stronger, happier, and most importantly, much more sure of exactly what they want out of the next relationship.

In any case, hope you bounce back quickly and good luck out there.

tl;dr: Forget about that jamoke, to hell with that loser, get pickier.

Comment

I don't know that you ever completely get over something like that, but you do eventually move on. It also doesn't have to define you or how you act with others.

Now, I don't mean this negatively at all, but you strike me as someone who is afraid to be alone for long. Learn to enjoy spending time with Blas. From this side of the keyboard, she seems like a pretty nice person.

Was there a type of food you loved but your ex hated? Go treat yourself. The important thing is to go out and have fun.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
        It hurts, but remember, he is the scumbag
        Hold up-I agree that having someone leave you for someone else, but what makes him a scumbag? From what I read, all he did was plan to break up with her.

Comment

I've never understood "going back" to someone. Especially if you already moved on. -.-

Comment

When Do You Get Over... Being left for someone else, or cheated on?
            When it's time. Only you can really know when your heart is over.

I usually go by the "one month minimum", unless the relationship wasn't very deep. I consider it time to get to know ones self again etc. And for deeper relationships it may take longer.

With one friend I had - I had feelings for him, he ... liked me when it was convenient I guess. The "whatever" we had (or at least what I thought it was) went on for over a year until the friendship was ended. It was a year before either of us could be in a group conversation with the other there, and talking to each other directly was ONLY when required by work. (and even that was rare). Even then I didn't completely heal until I'd left the state and went to the opposite coast.

After that, aside from crushes... didn't really even want to date anyone. Part was more healing. but it was a long time before i met someone who tempted me beyond a crush - and that was my current boyfriend.

so from the big hurt to my bf ... roughly 6 years or so. although i've been with that bf ever since.

Comment

Well, time to make this even more interesting.

Looks like he and I have both lost our mutual friend.

We ended up having to see each other at work, but we were able to talk in a civil matter together.

The backstory I failed to provide before was that in a fit of rage I had last Saturday over him not keeping in touch with me, I freaked and broke up with him, because he still hadn't told me what he was doing with his ex wife on Easter. I've never been the type to try to tell him what to do or be overly nosy, but for my own mental well being, I just want to know when she's over at his house or when they are exchanging the kids together, since they are so adament they must spend holidays together instead of splitting.

Our "friend".....what happened was on Monday, he went over to my ex's place to hang out while I was getting dressed/made up to go shopping and out for a drink or two with him to chat.

While we were hanging out, "friend" was the one who said that my ex's ex wife was "still" at the house, looked like they hooked back up, sorry blas but he'd been planning to do this all along to you.

I never felt the need to get back in contact with ex before we went back to work, because I figured it was none of my business anymore, and I wasn't going to play psycho girl. I went to work assuming he'd be throwing that in my face.

Came to work, he said that he did not get back with his ex wife, they took their kids to see the Easter Bunny at the mall Sunday, she did not spend the night at his house. She came back Monday because the children had to go to the doctor (for some reason she insists they must go together for that, which I guess is fine) and then since it was her time to take them back, she went back home after supper time.

He asked why I was thinking he got back with his ex. I told him what "friend" had told me about his visit. Ex said this isn't the first friend to try to take an advantage of a breakup of his.

We're not back together, but we're getting along at work. He's going to basic training soon anyways. But I'm glad we're not being awkward. I've known him for 6 years. I was his friend before he was married or had kids, before we dated. Even if all we ever are is friends from now on, it's better than losing him as a friend.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Sounds like he's trying to cover his ass the only way he knows how...
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

He was able to prove that our "friend" was meddling.

I saw the text convo where ex called friend out on it, and where friend admitted he played up the ex wife situation and tried to apologize.

Comment

Oh man, that stinks.

I would still keep an eye on the situation, however.
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                      And now everyone in the world knows I wasn't wanted.
                      Wrong. Blas.
                      Do you truely know everyone in the world?
                      Joking aside - We here on CS don't think that at all.
                      Semantics aside, its still wrong. It may be how you feel, but its definitely not true.

Also, now that I see the further posts - Friend is a dumbass for meddling like that. I'd be wondering about his motives myself (but thats just me). The updates have totally thrown me off, and I had an epic post too, full of ups and downs and supports and sealing wax, but now that more info has come out, its redundant XD

So all I will finish with, is keep strong, and never EVER put yourself down just because someone else was an idiot.
                      "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                      Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Blas, sometimes things just go wrong. It's happened to us all at some point. You aren't going to be judged for it. I'm glad things seem to be going a little better even though you both seem to have lost a friend.

Comment

I'm a really proud, stubborn gal....so I have a really hard time dealing when I do something assholish.

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                            We here on CS don't think that at all.
                            Semantics aside, its still wrong. It may be how you feel, but its definitely not true.
                            Yep, we think you're awesome, Blas

But seriously, my last relationship (unless you count She-who-must-not-be-named....and I don't!) imploded back in 2001. We were together nearly 4 years, and were friends a few years before that. As such, it took a *long* time to get over her. She's one of my best friends now...but at the time, I wanted to strangle her. Not so much because she moved away for a job and didn't want to talk about things. No, it was because she disappeared for 6 months, and let her *mother* tell me it was over. That's probably what hurt the most--she didn't even have the balls to tell me herself.

But, karma was (and is) a bitch. During that 6 months, she lost her job, her apartment, and her car threw a rod. About that time, she had met someone. I wouldn't have minded...had she not constantly gone on about his Mercedes Apparently, I was supposed to be jealous. Didn't work though--I'd just received the keys to the MG

Anyway, I found out not long ago, that she married the guy...and he's turned out to be a prick. He treats her like shit. Now she realizes much too late that I was always supportive of her. Oh well, not my problem.

...and now that I've bored everyone to tears... It took a *long* time to get to the point of being over her.
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You didn't bore anyone, protege. I welcome all stories to anything I post. It's good to hear what people have to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X