This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Road Rage Incident

And I am not proud of it, I know I was lucky I didn't cause an accident and I will take this as a lesson to remain calm under any provocation.

A few years back on my way to work and it is snowing. I take the on-ramp onto the highway and due to the snow sticking to the ground and no plows having hit the highway yet traffic is crawling. I match the traffic speed and go to merge but I have one of those people who considers someone merging in front of them a personal insult. The kind of person who tries to stay a few inches from the bumper of the guy in front of him.

Mistake #1 on my part but I just don't really put up with that shit. I'm a big believer in the zipper method of merging and since we were all going slow I just continued to merge leaving this person three choices; move over to the next lane, slow down or hit my car. He chose to slow down.

I don't really even think twice about these situations, there are too many assholes on the road for me to spend time concerned with them so it came as a surprise a few minutes later when a car in the next lane over ahead of me suddenly pulls a few feet over so his wheel is in the deep slush/snow in-between the lanes and guns his engine for a few seconds sending a wave of slush and snow over my windshield.

I slow down and let the wipers work as the asshat pulls in my lane in front of me and I realize it's Mr I'm_not_going_to_merge guy. Apparently he took that whole merge thing real personal and had been biding his time for a bit of revenge.

And that's when I lost it. I can only say this and there is no way to prove it but I am usually a very calm person regardless of the provocation (came in handy in the years I did customer service) but I was seeing red. I pulled out into the next lane and pulled ahead of asshat. Then I pull his maneuver back on him but I grew up driving in snow and know how to keep control of my car with very little traction. Where he hit me with a quick blast I maintained a controlled wheel spinning skid for almost a minute before he had to pull over in the breakdown lane because the front of his car was covered in a foot of slush and snow.

In spite of my confidence in my ability I know better than to do something like that on purpose and I could have lost control. More importantly I had no way of knowing how this guy would react to what I did to him, he had already proved that he can't handle a minor incident so what might he have done when he had actual real provocation and how many other innocent people might have been involved in the ensuing accident?

As soon as he pulled over I realized what an ass I was being and how badly it all could have turned out. I still think about it to this day. My advice is never provoke someone who is driving like an asshole since you never know how it will turn out (I know, I know...do as I say not as I did).
    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Yes, but it's good to share so we can learn from your mistake. I get angry at this stuff, too, because bad driving can equal accidents, and I have been hit by plenty of people, leaving my spine in worse condition than before. None of those accidents were my fault, so it really peeves me when I see reckless driving or someone is ticked at me for following the driving rules, such as not driving into oncoming traffic. The anger is coming out of fear of a 4th accident. Let me state that I've only been driving 9 years and already been rear-ended, hit to the side and had a totalled car, and last year had a fender bender that has exascerbated my neck issues. Again, none of those my fault, so you can see why I get so angry at the ridiculousness.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

When the local roads get that fun mixture of snow/rain/slush, get some asshats like that on the road. Had one guy spray my window with slush then tried to cut me off while I was blinded. I saw him start to go into my lane as he was spraying slush over my windshield and applied brakes. Got a finger from him when my windshield was clear and I could see again.

A couple km down the road, he did that to the next car in front of him. ... Which lit up like a pretty red and blue christmas tree.

Comment

Sakka, I suspect attempted insurance fraud. Looks like he was trying to force an "at fault" collision (just because you can't see a thing due to his "slushing" you doesn't change the fault if you hit him from behind after he cuts you off).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X